Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Track day regs?
Northy

posted on 7/1/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Track day regs?

Hi,

Does anyone know what the usual regs are for track days? I seem to remember something about either an MOT or being able to pass an MOT or something.

I'm asking because I've found a cheap set of slicks on Ford wheels that sound like they'll fit my car. Would be perfect for track days if I could use them.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 7/1/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
The regs are usually down to the organisers and their insurers, cuircuit based ones usually require an mot, airfield ones are more relaxed.

The Locost car club are looking to organise some cheap track days this year.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Stu16v

posted on 7/1/04 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it does tend to depend on the organisers. The last day I did, slick shod saloon racers were allowed to mix with 'ordinary' road cars, I think the only stipulation was the car has to have two seats.
BUT, dont be too hasty with the slicks idea mate. If the slicks are in good nick, chances are that you could gain enough cornering grip to starve the engine dry of oil. It can happen with road tyres of course, but with slicks it is almost guarenteed.
Unless you are dry sumping of course....

Dont just build it.....make it!

locoboy

posted on 8/1/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Stu,

I thought the oil starvation problem was a bike engined car problem? He is using an 8v Vx, is that prone to oil surge too?

I understand that with slicks you will get more of a surge but will it be a problem for a car engined car?

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 8/1/04 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
i would have said it depends on how good the baffling is on the caterham wet sump that northy is using...

All imho...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 8/1/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - track days I've been too only seem concerned about noise.

Slick will also put extra cornering stresses on your car - if somethings gonna give it will with slicks - I'd used regular tyres first if you haven't already, then move up to slicks when your sure the car can handle it.

Agree with above on surge too.

Stu16v

posted on 8/1/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately any engine can fall foul of the dreaded oil surge, even car engines with Cateringvan sumps. The main problem with a locost is that very often the sump is made to be a lot shallower, which in turn means that the pickup pipe is immersed in less oil in the first place. And as a consequence of the above, very often the sump is then equal, or similar height for the whole of the floor of the sump-as opposed to a standard sump, both of which do nothing to help control surge. Internal baffles go a long way to help, but in certain situations the cornering/braking/acceleration forces that a Locost or similar can generate is sometimes enough to beat even the most well designed baffle system, especially on slicks.

Dont just build it.....make it!

ned

posted on 9/1/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Northy,

I've got a qed dry sump pan if you can find a pump, catch tank and plumbing!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.