Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed camera flaw ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 23/4/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Speed camera flaw ?

I was stopped in a queue next to a Truvelo stopped camera today. Couldn't help but notice that the flash and the camera glass front covers were held on with large circlips. Now without wanting to put ideas in anyone's head. Surely the authorities would have worked out that taking one of these covers off and inserting something flammable into the inside of the box (or even maybe removing / damaging the camera) is far quicker and less conspicuous than putting an old tyre over the camera and setting fire to it ? (probably more effective too).

If they are going to waste our money on cameras, the least they can do is make them a little durable.

ned

posted on 23/4/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
one could conceivably put something inside the front cover to obscure the lense if this was the case without damaging the camera. the response time to get it fixed would probably be the same and it wouldn't cost hte taxpayer as much as a new camera wouldn't be required.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know if works Ned

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

givemethebighammer

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
probably longer to fix it Ned, it would take them a while to realise that the lense had been obscured. Bit more subtle than torching it from the outside !!
DavidM

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Replace glass with two way mirror. Looks normal from the outside but the camera only sees a reflection of itself. Could take them ages to realise.

My life now feels a whole lot sadder for even giving this a thought.

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
A picture of the local chief constable's car mounted 18" infront of the camera without obscuring the detection equipment - should be good for a laugh

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
i would just spray the lens with paint, then its criminal damage rather than arson or explosive charges.

then again, i couldnt actually be arsed myself...!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

thekafer

posted on 23/4/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
How about a pen lazer (lazer pointer) mounted blocks away and powered by a a/c transformer pointing directly into the lens?

Get someones finger prints on it and then set it up. "excuse me officer, could you hold this while I sign this citation..?"

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/4/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
The africans have a sledgehammer method they blast them with shotguns and place a landmine at the base to get the poor basterd sent to change the film.

On the north coast road out of Durban they had a pesky camera that was set up every day by two cops...after the land mines where found they didnt set their camera up again at that spot.

Spyderman

posted on 24/4/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The latest dirty tricks they are doing in Staffordshire, where the cameras have been established for quite a while is to reduce the speed limit from 40 to 30mph without any warning or notification.

Apparently they put up warnings for a week or so (supposedly), then removed them.
They simply remove the 40mph signs and rake in the revenue from all the locals who were used to the previous speed limit.

How can these Bar stewards get away with it?

Terry

Spyderman

David Jenkins

posted on 25/4/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised that no-one does what the amateur photographers do to get an 'artistic' blurry shot - they smear vaseline lightly over a filter. (this is starting to sound a bit 'ooer - missus!' )

A slight coat of vaseline or grease (not enough to be noticed in a hurry) should be more than enough to spoil the camera's resolution...

anon.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.