Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: free tyres!!!!
tom_loughlin

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
free tyres!!!!

today, carnoisseur were giving away free tyres.my mate emailed me telling me to get my ass on their site, but just as i hit complete order, the site crashed - hope i get them, as they were £140 per tyre!!!
must cost them a fortune cuz they apparently have to sell the items for the advertised price.
tried again, and the site is down - must have relised their mistake!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
there is no obligation in law to sell at an advertised price - they can simply refuse to sell.

atb

steve

tom_loughlin

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
dont think so (but not 100% sure) if they advertised it, by law they have to sell it - trade descriptions and all that. they could be prosecuted i think if they refused to sell
stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
no - this has happened many times.

They can offer you something for 1p.

They are not obliged TO SELL it to you.

There is no compulsion for them to sell to anyone at any price - they could turn you away even if it was full normal price.

For instance, if you go to a pub and ask for a pint, they can refuse to serve you. Its not illegal to refuse to sell.

The only case you have is if they ACKNOWLEGE your order with the stated price.

Another example is ebay. If you win an auction, your are bound by law to buy. The person selling IS NOT bound to honor the sale to you. If you dont believe me, look on the ebay site.

as a fall back, your supplier will just claim they were out of stock in any case, and wont have any more for yonks or whatever.

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
if a supermarket advertises the wrong price, they have to honour it. not sure if that applies here though...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Metal Hippy

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't want to buy a supermarket anyway...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

robinbastd

posted on 23/4/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's known as "a treat to tempt"
Not a lawyer,just a humble shopkeeper.

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Peteff

posted on 24/4/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Also known as a loss leader!!!

Theory is that when you go to look at the cheap stuff you see something else you need, but at £140 a tyre that's some loss.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ceebmoj

posted on 24/4/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
There are several different bits of legislation being quoted hear

1. Bear and other alcoholic beverages you can be refused to be served on the grounds of being drunk amongst others and this is covered by the licensing and measures ack cant remember the date at the moment.

2. when a super market advertises something for on price of the shelves and trys to charge you another they have no obligation to sell at the advertised price however if they choose not to sell at this price they have to remove all of this item from sale for a given time, most supermarkets will sell the item at that price and the change the shelf prices as the cost of a couple of items going at a reduced price is less than moving all the stock.

3. with a web sight if that have something advertised for sale at one price and you place an order there is no obligation on then until that send you the conformation e-mail of similar there was a case on Amazon a bit back of a pocket pc being advertised 25.00 as opposed to 250.0 and this is how they got out of that.

This is all my opinion as I am not a layer however I have had to deal with a number of cases like this

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.