Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear
marktigere1

posted on 4/6/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I herd that Mr Clarkson new nothing about the engineering that goes into cars. He admitted that himself once.

I do enjoy the program just wish they were a little more down to earth like Kit Car builders!!!

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

James

posted on 4/6/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know anything about journalism though... still wish I had his job!

James

Alan B

posted on 4/6/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
Hmmn, do gearboxes near to spin the "correct" way? Or could you just get away with using a standard box and a flipped ring gear in your diff?

Plenty of cheap speed parts for those Honda engines...

Cheers, Ted

Yes, they really do need to spin the correct way...they won't last long and will be noisy otherwise....the diff especially, it will be like being in reverse all the time.

If the gearbox was all straight cut then it would make little diference as there would be no thrust loads, but the more common helical gearing does induce thrust loads that are designed to be in the same direction all the time...Ok, a diff is expected to run the opposite way occaisionally, but it is set up to run predominately the right way.

HTH

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 5/6/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt Clarkson is an arrogant tosser - a friend of mine used to deal with him quite a lot and said the same. Top Gear is about entertainment, not a factual programme about regular cars - as long as you view it that way is pretty watchable.

Lets be realistic here, would you want to see an hour long programme about the latest volvo estate, people carrier or budget supermini, or rather watch them loon about in supercars and total caravans? If I need to know what new car to buy I'll buy a mag and read the 'sensible reviews'.

steve m

posted on 5/6/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear, has lost its apeal to me,
a few years ago It was a very good programme in showing what was on offer to "us" the buying public, but now it is slanderous (right spelling ??) aginst certain makes, Rover included
I have had Rover's for years, and so has my Father, rovers may be boring, but mine has never given much trouble or been vanderlised or nicked!!
All of us have a like or dislike and it is our own decision
The crap programme in its current state has nothing to do with decision as they "the panel (total loosers) "have decieded what is cool and what is not

I have not seen the programme by choice for a couple of years

steve

Hellfire

posted on 5/6/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
As Mr Clarkson originated just down the road from us in a small village called Tickhill... he is a Yorkshireman. Probably that's where he gets his dry offhand wit. However, moving away from Yorkshire does come with pro's and con's.

Pro's
Normally your salary increases substantially
You talk total bo||ocks

Con's
You're humour changes to personal insults
You become arrogant (Yorkshiremen/Money don't usually mix well)
You talk total bo||ocks

Apparently his mother used to write stories about a certain Teddy Bear, that's where he got his money from in the first place.

Tblue

posted on 5/6/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I talk total bo||ocks mostly, and I've never had to leave Yorkshire to do it.
theconrodkid

posted on 5/6/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
i went there once and see what ya mean

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Hellfire

posted on 6/6/04 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
See what I mean TCRK?

Jasper

posted on 6/6/04 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
His mum, Shirley, MADE Teddy bears, the first Paddingtons actually, under the name Gabrielle Designs, and did so for many years. So next time you see Jeremy, ask him how his Paddington is, he'll love it

(At last - something I can speak about on this forum with REAL authority)

nicklondon

posted on 6/6/04 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
if you think of top gear as a lads mag on tv then is good but for advise on your new car then its poor.
Scotty

posted on 7/6/04 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
after watching them loon around a welsh beach last night, great fun
do they allow the general public that option ?
and decent facilities for cleaning the cars afterwards......

David Jenkins

posted on 7/6/04 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think they're running out of ideas - that bit about sitting in a car while 'lightning' hit it was done in an Equinox program 10 years ago... I think it was in the same test facility! In the Equinox program they even drove around under the arcs!

David

Scotty

posted on 7/6/04 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
.......... and the car (obviously) survived even back then. still interesting with the amount of electronics modern cars have that they wern't affected
marktigere1

posted on 7/6/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I knew Clarkson would make fun of the Rover!! Still, he almost sounded as though he quite liked it though stopped short of saying so!!

Wonder if he's been reading this thread? Or is he 'Considerably"??? Hmmm, there's a question!!

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

Scotty

posted on 7/6/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
i thought the rover came out quite well, considering .....
BTW who is JK?
referred to several times, showing my ignorence (blush!)

mackie

posted on 7/6/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
He does like that ZT260, you can tell. But he's right, it's too expensive, outclassed by just about everything else in terms of space, equipment, residuals and technology. That's unfortunate but I think they've done a cracking job considering the resources they have.
Evo gave it 4.5 stars in their recent road test back to back with an Evo 8 UK (which also got 4.5 stars) - bloody impressive. They've managed to re-engineer a FWD car to be rwd AND make it handle.
You'd have to be nuts to buy one with your own money... second hand in 3 years however....

[Edited on 7/6/04 by mackie]

mackie

posted on 7/6/04 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
JK is they car-mad frontman of Jamiroquai. Their videos tend to feature him driving around in various exotica.
He's one of the lucky sods to get an Enzo.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/6/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thought it was a QED program........ in that one they drove the car around during it... and it looked like the same place

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
.......... and the car (obviously) survived even back then. still interesting with the amount of electronics modern cars have that they wern't affected

David Jenkins

posted on 7/6/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Steve - you're correct! I knew it was one of those gee-whizz' science programs.

DJ

Scotty

posted on 7/6/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
oh - thanks mackie
glad it was due to my old age i didnt realise it was him

Bob C

posted on 7/6/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
car struck by lightning

I remember the old QED (?) program - at the time I thought their lightning simulation was a bit pathetic - a really big bolt of lightning would have thousands of times the energy that van der graaf could produce. There are lots of lightning classes, the big ones I think are top of cloud to deck & they can fuse 100sq mm conductors.
Having said that in a metal box (normal saloon) you'd probably be fine - it's all earthed together with conductors well out of the way, all designed with esd protection in mind. In a locost... let's say it would relieve you of the misery of being out in a locost in a thunderstorm!
cheers
bob
PS planes get struck by lightning all the time but you have to switch off your CD player for take off. They're taking the P

Alez

posted on 7/6/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marktigere1
I herd that Mr Clarkson new nothing about the engineering that goes into cars. He admitted that himself once.

Clarkson go learn from your wife!! (Did she not build a Caterham herself I heard?)

David Jenkins

posted on 7/6/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I remember the old QED (?) program - at the time I thought their lightning simulation was a bit pathetic - a really big bolt of lightning would have thousands of times the energy that van der graaf could produce.

In the QED programme they put a chain from the bodywork to the ground... how long would that survive a lightning bolt! APparently it's the tyres that blow when a car's struck... although they're rubber & plastic, they're also full of carbon.

David

Hellfire

posted on 7/6/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If the Rover is anything to go by - the Safety Car at Cadwell 6/6/04 was the V8. What a terrible sounding car - tho' the compare did state to it having broken an exhaust manifold. Was very tasty tho'...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.