Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: powerful engine
Zoophoria

posted on 13/8/04 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
powerful engine

How about this engine in a locost? Would maybe need to slightly adjust the strenght of the chassis though.

http://www.metal-club.org/12-Cylinder.html

niceperson709

posted on 13/8/04 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
not quite as big as that but more our style of car has a 12 cylinder air cooled engine out of a tank hooked up to a bus transmission and hand beaten steel body VERY BRUTAL LOOKING
best wishes
Iain Rescued attachment BlastoleneSpecial.jpg
Rescued attachment BlastoleneSpecial.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/8/04 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
Has been posted before..........something about a builder thinking of fitting robin hood fitting one!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
mackie

posted on 13/8/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think I saw Chris Barry walking around in the crank case of something like that on Massive Engines on Discovery. I think it was in an enormous container ship.
I thought turbines were more efficient when going for power that big... am I wrong?

Browser

posted on 13/8/04 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Don't generally need the extra refinement (less vibration) and greater shp figures-for-less-space-occupied provided by a GT on a containder ship as these advantages are outweighed by the higher initial cost. Big rock crushers like the one bookmarked further up are made out of less expensive materials than yer average fan-in-a-can

David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I went on a US container ship heading for Felixstowe (I was with my neighbour, who was a river pilot) - while standing on the bridge of this immense ship, I saw a little plate that showed the engine details...

single engine, 4 cylinder, reciprocating mass 100+ tons!

The thing about these huge diesels is that they use the cheapest fuel oil imaginable - it's like filtered crude. They have to heat it before it's fluid enough to go through the pipes to the engine!

rgds

David

chris.russell

posted on 14/8/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
by Christ thats a bit of a monster! Imagine taking it for an oil change down your local garage!

Mines a pint

macspeedy

posted on 14/8/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
different tack but the same theme, for a while now i have been trying to find a large piston, have seen a polished example out of a spitfire plane, looking for something about 1m to .5m across anybody any ideas!
David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try looking in Yellow Pages for ship engine mechanics/repairers... they may have an example with, say, a small end gone that's no use to them...

David

JoelP

posted on 14/8/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
a coffee table piston, macspeedy?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/8/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
Don't generally need the extra refinement (less vibration) and greater shp figures-for-less-space-occupied provided by a GT on a containder ship as these advantages are outweighed by the higher initial cost. Big rock crushers like the one bookmarked further up are made out of less expensive materials than yer average fan-in-a-can

When I was in the Navy, the GT's had a life span chart, they had much shorter lives in the tropics, and using higher rpms.

The main problen with GT's is that you need a reducing gearbox as big as the avarage semi to bring the revs down from 32,000 to about 150 for the prop shaft

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Browser

posted on 17/8/04 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Now this would be a hell of an engine for a Locost. If my calculations are correct the displacement works out at something like 113 litres!

DaveFJ

posted on 17/8/04 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
Now this would be a hell of an engine for a Locost. If my calculations are correct the displacement works out at something like 113 litres!

Errr... the displacement is written further down the page.... 127litres

I love the idea about the axially shiftable cam shafts though..... now how could you make and axially shiftable ohc for a pinto, with 2 different profiles ???

[Edited on 17/8/04 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mackie

posted on 17/8/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macspeedy
different tack but the same theme, for a while now i have been trying to find a large piston, have seen a polished example out of a spitfire plane, looking for something about 1m to .5m across anybody any ideas!

The Fjordline ferry that goes for North Shields to Norway has one of it's old pistons on display. I'd say it's between 30-50cm in diameter and maybe 80cm tall. They cost several grand each so I'm told (my mum's friend is the manager of the UK side of the operation).
I've no idea how you'd go about obtaining one though. Maybe contact the engineering divisions of various shipping companies?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.