Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daily Driver
marktigere1

posted on 23/8/04 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that any car you do not own but drive third party, MUST have insurance of its own (by the owner of that car).

Brother in law used to sell insurance and I think he told me that once when I wanted to do something similar for the current Mrs Tigere1.

But don't quote me on that. I'll try and ask him when he gets back off holiday.

Cheers

Mark

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

ChrisJLW

posted on 23/8/04 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mk1 MR2 with one or two 'tweaks'
15" 6-spoke alloys, Whiteline springs & KYB shocks, Induction kit (cheap n home made but better than K&N IMHO), s/s exhaust, TRD head gasket (running 200psi compression on each cylinder) & more in the pipeline.

I really must start saving up for the Locost!!

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

dave1888

posted on 23/8/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
53 Primera estate not very fast not very economical and not very spacious. From next week a citroen berlingo

ned

posted on 23/8/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
306 turbo diesel. never gets driven as i commute on the train top speed is 100mph though which is nice and safe for the license (unless you're going down hill)
must get the fuelling twekaed some time...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 23/8/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
What engine does that have in it, 2.0 Zetec??

Adam

Yes.

(My Focus ZX3)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Skirrow

posted on 23/8/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marktigere1
I believe that any car you do not own but drive third party, MUST have insurance of its own (by the owner of that car).

I did actually ask my insurance company before I started doing this and they said that it was legal but they didn't recommend it as you are illegal as soon as you stop as andyps said. I don't really trust the view of someone in a national call centre though as they will tell you any old crap in my experience.

When I was to tax it I just insure it for a short time on my policy, last time it cost me £19 for a month which isn't bad. Lucky really cos the day after I did it I got a puncture and a passing copper asked me to produce my documents as it was showing as having no insurance. Although I would have taken my document saying I'm inusred on any car 3rd party, I felt a lot more comfortable taking the certificate with the right reg on it!

I think I'll maybe do it properly next time round to save the stress, whats the penalty for driving without insurance anyone?

Skirrow

posted on 23/8/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJLW
Mk1 MR2

MK1 Mr2s are nice. I'm well into them.

chris.russell

posted on 23/8/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
'02 ford focus TDCi 115. Great little car and i've never had it below 50 mpg - no matter how much the girlfriend seems to try. Its quite fast for a oil burner, especially when the turbo kicks in although the brakes seems a little under rated as theres drums on the back and tiny discs on the front

Mines a pint

andyps

posted on 23/8/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
From next week a citroen berlingo

My wife has a Berlingo and I have to say it is really good - only the 1.9D so not very quick but amazingly comfortable to drive and ride in, pretty economical and loads of space. Have taken it to France twice so far this year including 4 adults to LeMans towing a trailer tent and we wer all OK despite driving non stop each way (just me driving!). If you need a big car I would really recommend one.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

geoffe

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Jag X - Type 2.5. Old fart's car - I love it!!
JoelP

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
whats the penalty for driving without insurance anyone?

AFAIK its 3 or 6 points. plus the car gets crushed if you dont insure it, or confiscated til then etc.

i used to have a traders policy, it was £2k for the first year but after a claim went up to £3.5 for renewal. Needless to say i didnt bother renewing it. Swapped my insured car 12 times that year! AA do 2 weeks free overlap so you can still have a few on the go at once. For the few unlucky moments when you get caught out, i had memorised a mates details, who had a traders policy.

My mates insurance company told him that to drive someone elses car 3rd party, the vehicle needed full comp to cover any damage to their vehicle - after all, they could sue you if you busted it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

wilkingj

posted on 23/8/04 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Late to the party this time!..

I run a '84 12 seater land Rover, Turbo Intercooled Diseasil. (85mph with a 1 ton caravan on the back, and a 3.8 metre boat hanging on for dear life!!
Its great for driving in traffic using Rule One... If its bigger Give Way!

Its handy for putting all my stuff in the back, and what wont go in the back goes on the roof, like a 40ft Mast etc!.

My Other vehicle is a ... Guess What!!!...

A Land Rover, the 12seater (County) is a bit on the new side, so this one is a H reg, and that's old H, ie 1970, no tax and £77 per year insurance fully Comp. Its my toy... and its for sale.

My other other vehicle is a Locost... only a chassis and a pile of bits at the moment.

My other other other vehicle is a 1954 Matchless 350cc bike, all in bits and stashed in a cupboard in the garage under more junk and bits of locost!.

Last but not least is SWMBO's Nissan Micra, our newest car on a D plate '87/88.

Thats it..

Best Regards

Geoff

Steve&Steve

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is my car (89’ Peugeot 309)

That’s a complete pair of front and rear sierra subframes, Tools and luggage in the boot! Poor little 1.3 engine.

PS. I’m not sure I’ve put this pic on right, If it needs uploading to the web to insert a pic, Where do I upload to (FTP?)? Rescued attachment Gina.jpg
Rescued attachment Gina.jpg

Chris_R

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
you should be able to access your own photo archive. Just upload photos to that using the web based interface. you can then link to them using bbcode.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

locoboy

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
1.6 zetec focus - pile 'o' shyte, handles ok but only because its that gutless you cant get a decent tramp on without flogging the balls off it - but its as good as free so who's moaning

ATB
Locoboy

DavidM

posted on 23/8/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
97 Mondeo 2.0 Si four door. Good all rounder, best front seats I've ever sat in.
Hellfire

posted on 23/8/04 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda 6 - rubbish!

mad4x4

posted on 24/8/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
SEAT ibiza 2.0L 8V GTI mk ii (boring)

and

Landrover 90 2.5TD - Jacked up 2" Lift , All the gaurds, NATO HITCH, 31x10.50x15 MUD Terrains, Snorkel,disk brakes on Rear. DENTS from off roading. Still modifing..........

Ohhhhh and 170,000 miles on the clock. not bad for a OLD TD.

[Edited on 24/808/04 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

JoelP

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
97 Mondeo 2.0 Si four door. Good all rounder, best front seats I've ever sat in.

i like the suspension on mondeos, good and soft, quite high so ideal for jumping speed bumps! ive had 5 mondeos, thats a sign i like them! nearly all td's as well.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 24/8/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
96 Alfa 145 cloverleaf....
had it for 7 years, still good fun on twisty roads - worth sod all now but I still love it

98 Xantia estate Td
soft n comfy....great for motorways and quick enough to not be too boring...and can carry 4 bike engines and you wouldn't know it....

latest addition..
96 peugeot boxer 2.5 diesel van...
slow n boring but it'll carry 15 engines...

oh....and theres my
92 Alfa 33 permanent 4 currently being used as an ornament

and my bike

2000 Triumph TT600 great fun, just don't use it enough...

[Edited on 24/8/04 by colibriman]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mike McKinstry

posted on 29/8/04 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
At the risk of being laughed at;

98 rover 400
00 rover 25

father in law has ;
ginetta grs tora(70-early80s kit car based on hillman hunter running gear)currently being restored and running ford v6-but thats another story,
reliant fox pick up truck,
reliant kitten saloon,
reliant rialto,
citroen bx estate 1.9d-our towcar,
and obligatory
Rover 400 Tourer.

Keen on the old K series even though they are prone to the odd hiccup-bit more interesting than a car that runs with no probs all the time?!!
In all honesty after 5 400s have decided will have to get something reliable (german?) next time but then the grass isnt always greener elsewhere?Is it?
Mike.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/8/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
whats the penalty for driving without insurance anyone?

AFAIK its 3 or 6 points.

I think you will find that its 8 - 10 or so - a biggie

atb

steve

kiwirex

posted on 30/8/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
76 chevette

Scoop on the front
Wing on the back.
Bit sad really.
It'll do until the locost is built, then MrsH is keen on sticking a Rover V8 in it.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.