Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Kitchen Spamming Adverts - Chris ?
T66

posted on 18/4/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap Kitchen Spamming Adverts - Chris ?

On the back of the spam we are getting here, Ive reported that dross company to the advertising standards authority.

The process takes 3-4 minutes, you can even add screengrabs of their adverts. (done)

Please bang a few complaints in to http://www.asa.org.uk/

jossey

posted on 18/4/14 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
We just need something like captcha. (Although google did crack the algorithm lol)

That would stop the auto signup issue.

Or add a question like who makes the car fiesta..

[Edited on 18/4/14 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 18/4/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah but if you asked who makes the Phoenix the list of answers would make the question useless there is that many
joneh

posted on 18/4/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
There's a book you need to read by Dr Steve Philips called The Chimp Paradox. Google it.

It'll stop you getting wound up about trivial bollox that has absolutely no detrimental effect on your life!

But the captcha is a good idea

blakep82

posted on 18/4/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
The fact that the latest advert appears to have been edited by the user, says to me captcha or a question/answer wouldn't make a difference, as it looks like an actual person has done it

And even more importantly, what joneh says. I see the threads, and think to myself 'well that's not worth my effort to click on' and so I don't look. Saves me getting annoyed by it! Because, I actually don't care. Tbh, to me, this thread is as useful to building cars as a cheap kitchen

[Edited on 18/4/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

twybrow

posted on 18/4/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I agree that you can easily just not open those threads, but having your post on the front page is really useful to get your post viewed, so if threads are getting pushed out all the time by kitchen adverts, then it defeats the point some what.
britishtrident

posted on 18/4/14 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Best not to open the thread at all, the eedjit posting the spam can see the reads counter going up.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

joneh

posted on 18/4/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's not done to specifically advertise but more for Google SEO. The more high ranking sites that link to his site, help push it up the Google rankings. It's easy to get a forum to link to you, you just sign up! Hence why he's included a link in the signature.

(I was guilty of doing this for my last job in CCTV)

T66

posted on 18/4/14 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Champion, Im pleased your all pleased with the kitchen adverts. If only we could attract UPVC window installers .....

Then the site would be much better for it. If any of you want to start linking adverts from your local paper, just crack on, then I will get more practice ignoring futile posts which dont benefit me and are not related to car building, which is the only content posted to this site.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/4/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I agree that you can easily just not open those threads, but having your post on the front page is really useful to get your post viewed, so if threads are getting pushed out all the time by kitchen adverts, then it defeats the point some what.

There's also the risk that other spammers will see that this one has "got away with it" (i.e. not immediately deleted) and will think that this is a good place to post their junk.

IIRC, the Haynes site got overwhelmed by this sort of rubbish a while ago, and had to go off-air to sort it all out. (but that may be delusion brought on by an excess of something or other).

steve m

posted on 18/4/14 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
My parents want a new kitchen, so I take it these people are a bit dodgy ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.