Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaking Water Main
rdodger

posted on 21/2/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Leaking Water Main

Evening all.

I have a bit of a problem at a 120yr old Terraced house we rent out and thought some people on here will have some experience to share.

We have been doing various jobs between tenants and noticed the water pressure is much lower than when my GF lived there.

Today the water board came and confirmed it's below what they deem acceptable both in terms of pressure and flow. The guy who came says he can hear a major leak and they will do further investigations soon. (dig a hole and test the pressure either side of the stop tap in the street)

It's a shared main for 4 houses though 2 have had a new supply, so now there are only 2 houses using the old supply. The next door neighbour who we still share with gets the supply first and has no problem at all with great pressure and flow so it would seem to me the leak must be after it T's into their house before it gets to our house.

The neighbour has had the Water Board out a few months ago as they had a leak in a part the fed to what was once the outside toilet. It seems they capped that bit off so our neighbour is happy.

So my questions are:

Will they fix the leak between the stop tap and our house even though it goes through the neighbours back yard then through ours to the back of the house?

Will we have to pay for the work?

Will we have to have a new supply from the main in the street to the front of the house as other neighbours have done? We have no front garden, the front door opens onto the street so not far for it to go.

The house has solid floors so it aint going to be fun getting it into the house!

Any advice would be appreciated. SWMBO is going mental as the new tenant is supposed to move in on Monday and currently the combi fed shower is a weak dribble.

joneh

posted on 21/2/15 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing just happened to my neighbour.

She owned the pipe work from the meter (or main stop cock in road) therefore it was her responsibility. She had to pay for the work. We have solid floors too but she ran a new mains pipe down the side of the house and through the garage, rather than chopping up the house floor!

The water board were kind enough to waive the £2k water bill though. If you're not on a meter then they can't tell how much has been lost...

rdodger

posted on 21/2/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thankfully no meter.

It seems Dee Valley water have a scheme to fix leaks but only up to £220 after that it's up to me!

Shame we don't have an easy way in for a new main.

adithorp

posted on 21/2/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's a can of worms. As mine is like yours, this is how I understand it...

Depends where they find the leak as to who has to pay. Good diagram HERE
Different water co's have different arrangements to support the homeowner.

If you go for a new separate supply you have to...
Dig out the old one where it enters your property and have it capped and inspected by water board.
Have new pipework fitted to the existing system for the WB to connect to.
WB will then bring the new supply to your boundary and connect. That's usually the front door in the case of terraced houses and the internal pipes can be run from there up and through the ceiling when the house has solid floors and connected to the existing system.

Incidentally, United Utilities told us they could hear a leak on our pipe and demanded we fix it (they'd been around and listened to the pipes during the night) and sent us nasty letters for ages... turned out one of the neighbours had her washing machine running overnight when they came listening. I took up UU common supply pipe insurance after that and I'm not going to do anything until something goes wrong.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rdodger

posted on 21/2/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
That's good info. Thanks Adi.

02GF74

posted on 22/2/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Do you not get letter from your water board about spesh
H offers for pipe insuarance? Check the conditions for what is covered and if applicable take it, wait a couple of months then claim.

Not that i would ever be so smeaky, especially with a blocked bathroom sink

CosKev3

posted on 22/2/15 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
With Severn Trent its your responsibility from your property boundary to house, if they detect a leak in your boundary they give you a set time scale to get it repaired, if you don't they will then repair it and invoice you for the work.
rdodger

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I thought I would update this just in case anyone else is in the same position.

We are having the work done tomorrow by Mole Group.

They are going to replace the shared main from the boundary around to both houses. Approx 25m of pipe and 2 stop taps etc.

Dee Valley Water would and are going to investigate the leak. Unfortunately they have to shut the road to dig up around the stop tap. (narrow road and footpath) They can't do this until 18 May! We are going to replace the pipe to the boundary and join to the old pipe. When Dee Valley turn up they will make a new connection into the main.

It has been a long process due to the need for a road closure and the fact that Dee Valley have to find the leak before they do anything else. This way we get a new main and connection.

Cost?

£1300

We did try to get a new supply to the front of the house. This would have cost £400. As the road has to be closed that would have added another £2500!

steve m

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
My parents house insurance covered their broken / leaking pipe that had fractured under the double concrete drive
I do not know what the final bill was, but know it was well over 5k

assuming you have buildings insurance ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rdodger

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve

Will check that out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.