Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: household water q
theconrodkid

posted on 24/3/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
household water q

did some plumbing today and sure enough it ended in wet feet but what worried me was,when i took a length of cold,straight from the mains pipe out,it contained what looked like frog spawn
any idea what it is as it,s the same water i use to make 1000 gallons of tea a day .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coozer

posted on 24/3/15 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon everyone has it. A while ago we had a new plastic liner put in down the street. Basically a new plastic pipe that smashed the old cast one out of the way. What I didn't understand was how they did this without digging the road up to connect our little offshoot, but hey ho they did it.

Afterwards we had to run the tap to get rid of all sorts of sh1t that had been disturbed! Water has murky for a day or two but safe as long as it was boiled!

The other thing that makes me wonder is our water comes from a bore hole couple miles away and is pumped straight into the pipes round here, clear as!

Pressure is held at 4bar.

Same as drawing your heating down, water comes out clear but take a rad off and tip it up.. Yuck!!

Nowt to worry about IMO!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

theconrodkid

posted on 24/3/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
i managed to capture of of the blighters,it,s around 10mm dia,squidgy and transparent .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coozer

posted on 24/3/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yuckky yuck, get onto the local water company....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

talkingcars

posted on 24/3/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Yuckky yuck, get onto the local water company....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Ivan

posted on 25/3/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sediment in water supply pipes is totally normal. When water is treated using flocculation to settle out any colour or suspended sediments a certain percentage of the colourant and/or flocculation chemical makes its way into the system and flocculation continues in the reticulation pipes settling out during low flow periods. When there is a shock in the system the floc rises and mixes into the water and causes murky water through the taps.

It's more of an aesthetic inconvenience than a health risk - just run the tap for about 5 minutes until it clears or if that doesn't work call the water authorities and ask them to scour or even pass a pig through your supply main. (Pig as in foam rubber plug )

Of course it could be some sort of spawn if you have a roof tank that is open to insects etc. Normally then you get tiny red worms in the water.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/15 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ivan,it,s not sediment it,s squidgy 10mm balls,they really look man made,rang the water co and waiting for an engineer to ring me back...hasnt put me off my tea tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Ivan

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've been a municipal water engineer most of my working life and that's a new one to me - let us know what they say. Perhaps it's "Bubble Tea" ????
theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
i know all about bubble tea,bought fizzy water to brew up at a car show once .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

r1_pete

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
The 5th response here might explain them:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-plumbers-out-there-silicone-balls-in-the-water-supply

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
looks like we have a winner there R1 Pete,no water softner here,i am a rufty tufty man remember but the leak stopper would appear to be the answer,waiting for a call from the man at the mo.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

theconrodkid

posted on 27/3/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Had the man round,said they dont use the silicone balls so has taken it away for analysis,said he would flush the pipes through but some muppets from the council had tarmaced over the fire hydrant......sometimes i wonder.
this morning the water board are digging up where the hydrant should be .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.