Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Workshop electrical sockets
LBMEFM

posted on 25/11/15 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Workshop electrical sockets

Started to finish off my new workshop, have had a consumer unit professionally installed I now want to start the internal wiring myself. Simple question, do the sockets (four doubles in total) have to be on a ring main or can I wire them in series?
cliftyhanger

posted on 25/11/15 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming a 30/32A breaker for the circuit, you can either use a ring with 2.5 T+E or a radial (series) but would need 4mm cable (regs may ask for 6mm now? not sure, stuff changes and is dependant on if it is buried/trunking etc )
ie the cable has to be able to take all the current from the breaker.

If you used a 16A breaker I guess you could use a radial in 2.5, but that could be a problem when it comes to use several things at once.

However, if this is all permanently connected then your work ought to be signed off by an electrician, and not being funny, if you are asking this sort of question I think it would be wise! (I am not a sparky, but have done work and had it signed off)

posted on 25/11/15 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO,

House circuits are a ring. i.e. From consumer unit to the first socket, into the next, etc, etc, and back to the consumer unit.

I can't see any reason why the workshop is any different to lets say your kitchen, so the same principles apply.

You can't have enough sockets so think of a number, then double it. Go all the way round the four walls as well.

Nothing worse than having to keep unplugging this to put that in, then having to change it back. Surprising what needs to be
plugged in all the time.

It's also good to plug in tools where you are using them, rather than have leads draped across the floor.

Paul G

p.s.
Always put a socket by each door so you can run a lead outside.

[Edited on 25/11/15 by 907]

hizzi

posted on 25/11/15 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
needs to be wired in a ring . i have a double socket every two meters round the wall at waist height. this means i can use power tools anywhere without plugging in an extension cable
HowardB

posted on 25/11/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I added some into the rafter space so that the cables hang down rather than trail over the floor,.. works well.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Wadders

posted on 25/11/15 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ring main, 32amp breaker, 2.5 mm2 cable. If surface mounting I would run singles in round conduit, preferably metal in a workshop with metal clad sockets, although round plastic trunking is easier to work with and reasonably tough, would still use metal sockets and back boxes though, cheap enough now from screwfix etc.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/11/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
2.5mm T&E in a ring main, as per the house. If running cables at waist height or below, I always suggest metal sockets as opposed to plastic ones - they tend to take knocks better than the plastic ones, which can shatter and leave exposed wires. I also used round conduit for anything below head height to be safe. But then again, my Mrs. does call me Dr. Doom!!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

furryeggs

posted on 25/11/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
If its just the 2 double sockets and keeping to 17th edition regs then a 20A breaker radial circuit will be fine, in europe we're the one of the only country's still using a ring main circuit. It'll save you a bit of money on cabling as well if its a long run.
LBMEFM

posted on 25/11/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you everyone for your replies, they were very useful, thank you.
steve m

posted on 25/11/15 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the problem

you can never have enough lighting,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 25/11/15 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
To add even more to the problem: In my garage I have a double socket on a roof beam, directly over the car, for a trickle charger, but every other socket is wired through a suitably rated switch by the door so on the way out I can make sure that nothing has been left powered up (radio, electric heater, etc.) In my case that meant radial wiring, sized and fused appropriately.
Wadders

posted on 25/11/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
If its just the 2 double sockets and keeping to 17th edition regs then a 20A breaker radial circuit will be fine, in europe we're the one of the only country's still using a ring main circuit. It'll save you a bit of money on cabling as well if its a long run.

Might want to re read the OP's post mate, he said 4 doubles

matt_claydon

posted on 25/11/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why so many people are saying it has to be a ring. Either configuration is acceptable with the appropriate cable and breaker combination - you should choose the most appropriate for the circuit configuration.

In some situations a ring is a more efficient use of cable, and in others it's a huge waste. Depends if the ring naturally leads back in a loop to the origin, or whether to complete the ring you just end up doubling back on yourself past all the sockets.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.3.3.htm

As an aside, ring circuits can be more dangerous with a fault because a break in the ring will not be evident - all outlets will continue working - but current capacity of the cable has halved (approximately) as you now effectively have two radial circuits on undersized wire and the breaker is now too high a value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit

furryeggs

posted on 26/11/15 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
As long as your not running 8 welders at once 4 doubles is still ok for a radial with a 20A breaker.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.