Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chainsaw recommendations
Benzine

posted on 25/10/22 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Chainsaw recommendations

Evening all,

I have a Titan electric corded chainsaw which has served well for 5 years. It went with a bang and a puff of smoke this afternoon. I was getting annoyed with it anyway as the oiler was always rubbish and I needed to drain and clear it often.

I also have a load of timber to cut up for firewood (will need seasoning for a year) so I'll be using it more. I don't mind if it's electric, battery, 2 stroke, just wanting something reliable that dispenses oil like it should.

Cheers

[Edited on 25-10-2022 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 25/10/22 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd always turn to Stihl for gardening equipment. It just...works. Spares are available if needed too.

Not cheap, but if you're going to be giving it a workout, you'd be better with something that's not a toy.

James

posted on 25/10/22 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stihl is obviously the top name and I have a 18(?)" blade one which is great.

However, I've just bought an EGO battery powered 19" mower which is fantastic and so as I already have the battery and expensive charger am thinking of getting an EGO strimmer and potentially a small chainsaw too for smaller diameter stuff.

So I'd recommend you at least look at the EGO chainsaws.

Oh, and if you haven't already... but the proper bloody PPE for chainsawing- trousers and helmet/gloves etc!!! There's an Oregon kit of everything you need for £70ish at Screwfix.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/22 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Oh, and if you haven't already... but the proper bloody PPE for chainsawing- trousers and helmet/gloves etc!!! There's an Oregon kit of everything you need for £70ish at Screwfix.

Good call - I have the protective leggings - they are not the most glamorous or comfortable things, but the chainsaw can easily kick around with some force, especially if you're not an experienced user. I've never caught the leggings, but I have had the saw go a bit close to them occasionally. I do wear goggles and heavy gloves as well, before anyone says anything!

russbost

posted on 26/10/22 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
From experience I'd steer well clear of anything petrol unless you're going to buy absolutely top quality, all the cheaper stuff the carb gaskets fall to bits with the modern bio fuels, olus they are noisy & smelly, only any real advantage if you're 50ft up in the air on a tree, otherwise I think the electric stuff beats it hands down.

If you're going to have access to mains power then why not stick with corded, it's cheap, quiet & does the job, if you want the versatility of cordless, then you're probably going to spend 4 - 6 times the price for anything with decent battery life & the larger the battery, the heavier the tool, for high tree work I'd have thought light batteries & several of them, if it's on the ground weight is far less of an issue

Budget end corded I've had a few McCulloch & Einhell over the years, all served me well & cost peanuts

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 26/10/22 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The main players have an electric range, both battery and wired. There are odd husqvarna units kicking about too. People don't buy corded chainsaws to go logging so most of the used ones look nearly new.

The working end is usually cross compatible with their petrol counterparts so you should get a decent bar and decent oiling system.

Benzine

posted on 26/10/22 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
From experience I'd steer well clear of anything petrol unless you're going to buy absolutely top quality, all the cheaper stuff the carb gaskets fall to bits with the modern bio fuels, olus they are noisy & smelly, only any real advantage if you're 50ft up in the air on a tree, otherwise I think the electric stuff beats it hands down.

If you're going to have access to mains power then why not stick with corded, it's cheap, quiet & does the job, if you want the versatility of cordless, then you're probably going to spend 4 - 6 times the price for anything with decent battery life & the larger the battery, the heavier the tool, for high tree work I'd have thought light batteries & several of them, if it's on the ground weight is far less of an issue

Budget end corded I've had a few McCulloch & Einhell over the years, all served me well & cost peanuts

Good points, thanks. Sometimes have mains but always have a decent generator available that easily coped with my titan chainsaw. I think getting a better corded one is the way forward.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 28/10/22 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've just gone to battery for all of our garden tools - it is worth researching it and going for a single brand as you can then use the same batteries/chargers across the range. We went for Cobra.

We have the 40v lawnmower and although you can get 40v hand tools, they are quite heavy so went for the 24v version for everything else - chainsaw, trimmer, hedge cutter. All work from the same battery and I have to say they are better than the mains versions they replaced.

https://cobragarden.co.uk

[Edited on 28/10/22 by geoff shep]

tilly819

posted on 28/10/22 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben,

We had an old Huski which died last year so replaced it with a Stihl MS181 16" bar (Ballpark £300) with the easy start. Couldn't be happier with it. I was sceptical about the easy start at first but it was well worth it. Bought it with the posh fuel (approx £25/5litres) which also gets you the extended 5 year warranty. 5 litres was enough to fill our 12m3 wood shed. One thing to note (the guy in the shop told me) You have to hold the trigger when you engage the choke or there is a bit of the mechanism that can get broke. Not a problem; just how it works.

We heat primarily with wood now so it cut and ringed about 12m^3 ready for this winter. Never missed a beat. I'm looking forward to getting it out in the next few weeks to start on some big windfalls ready for next year. I plan to keep running it on the posh fuel as it does not seem to "go bad" if you leave it in the tank which we inevitably do. It's a sipper not a gulper. It runs out of fuel before it runs out of bar oil; that was one of my main criteria when buying as the old Huski would run out of oil first which is a big no no for me. Oiler seems to be good. I did have one hiccup with it not flowing enough oil a few weeks ago but it was my own fault for not cleaning out the cover where the drive gear is so it got all full of oily sawdust and blocked the bar feed. Cleaned it out and carried on. Also a big fan of not needing any tools to change / adjust the chain. Again I was a bit sceptical about the mechanism (more things to go wrong) but it seems well built.

Bottom line: Ideal for ringing up / firewood duty. If you are planning on doing a lot of felling with the full bar length in the tree it would be worth going up an engine size.

Anyway that's my 2p on the subject.

Cheers,
Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Benzine

posted on 4/11/22 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone! Very helpful
Benzine

posted on 6/2/23 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I went with another corded chainsaw but spent more. Chain tensioner is done by a dial on the side so no screwdrivers, oils better, cuts great, better handle, and a sharpening lever which is very handy. Had it about a month and got through loads of wood. Someone else on site with a Makita petrol which keeps having to stop for fuel a chain tensioning.

Pictured next to old titan. I'd still recommend the titan for light use.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.