Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well, I did try...
David Jenkins

posted on 12/1/23 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I did try...

I have a policy of buying local, if at all possible. I like to help local businesses, plus I dislike dealing with ebay as a general principle. For example, I have a local supplier of screws and fasteners that always supply good-quality products, often in some weird sizes , and frequently much cheaper than on ebay. I'll even pay a little extra to buy local, knowing that I'll walk away with the goods in my hand and with no anxiety about shipping.

But yesterday I went looking for some clear plastic sheet to make a lid for some electronic equipment... 500mm x 440mm in 6mm acrylic. Went to a well-known supplier in Ipswich, and was quoted £76. Asked if there was an offcuts bin, and was told that it would still cost £76. I left them to it...

Got home, and ordered the same size piece, but in 8mm polycarbonate (much more suitable for my purpose) from a company on ebay I'd bought stuff from previously - just under £40. The ad said 'free postage' but we all know that the P&P is built into the price - but it was almost half the cost, for a thicker sheet in a superior (brand name) material.

People get criticised for preferring to buy online, but the local companies need to avoid extracting the urine...

coyoteboy

posted on 14/1/23 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much always the case in my experiece. I don't buy local unless I'm forced. Loyalty, helpfulness and pride in the work matters but rarely exists and I'm not buying anything regularly enough to test out a bunch of suppliers.

Often I'd rather buy online from a local supplier because I'm too busy to go to the shop.

I recently had to go to a local garage because I needed to pop a wheel bearing/hub assy out of my upright. I checked a bunch of local places reviews, went to the one most recommended by both online and through friends. They charged me 250 quid to pull a caliper off, unbolt 4 bolts, knock out the old bearing, bolt in the new one that I supplied. Jokers.

nick205

posted on 15/1/23 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I liked to buy local when/where possible, but fewer and fewer places left now.

Being unable to drive (medical) online with delivery is a lifesaver sometimes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.