Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indoor digital TV aerial?
number-1

posted on 4/10/23 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Indoor digital TV aerial?

Does anyone use an indoor digital tv aerial?

Can you recommend a decent one to use? I am moving to BT TV from Virgin media and some of the free to air channels can only be received using an aerial. Some can be received via the internet but not all so after recommendations for something tried and tested

Cheers

N1

Prof_Cook

posted on 4/10/23 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Put freeview TV in downstairs room to watch freeview TV, internal digital "set-top" aerial only picked up a few channels from strongest multiplex on local mast. Ended up having to run a TV signal cable from loft (continuous run - no joints) small digital TV aerial and had to align aerial perfectly to get all channels as otherwise any rainfall resulted in loss of some channels.

Loft aerial is yagi aerial and delivers strong signal to other "upstairs" set, had tried splitting signal (two leads from same aerial) and ended up with same issue as before (losing some channels on both TVs whenever it rained) so running dedicated cable from dedicated loft mounted aerial was the only solution...

Problem is digital freeview is just that "digital", if signal strength or signal quality is compromised you end up losing channels. In the old "analogue" days a weak signal would still result in some sort of picture albeit with "ghosting" or "noise".

[Edited on 4-10-23 by Prof_Cook]

Slimy38

posted on 5/10/23 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
We have one of these in the loft;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-tri-boom-tv-aerial/839jr

But I had similar experience to Mr Cook in that I had to use a brand new unbroken lead from loft to TV, I had to use a map to get the aerial pointing directly at the transmitter, and it only takes a bit of UK weather to lose some of the channels. As you probably already know they group channels together (I think they're called multiplexes?), and the one that hosts the Channel 4 channels was often the first to go. We had planned on it feeding two TV's as well, but we've given up on that idea.

The sooner all TV is available over the internet, the better.

Rod Ends

posted on 5/10/23 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
One For All SV9440 Amplified Indoor TV Aerial

Picks up 200+ channels

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9591424

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.