Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windy.com
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/23 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Windy.com

Not that I have any connection with this other than being a big fan off it. But this is one hell of a resource and the amount and type of info it shows is like something from Star trek. I really have no idea how they can gather so much data, it seems a stretch that it could be all from satellites? Try the different menu options and layers on the right, the mind boggles...

[Edited on 5/12/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/23 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you think it's not possible to get that much data from satellites (I work in the field) but I think it's also amalgamated with ground data and then the forecast is modeled of course. Incredibly accurate and I use it regularly, they're are also other sites that use the same models to feed an app I use to determine which rain bursts to avoid while cycling home 😁
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/23 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe it's just how they are measuring things like water currents from space? Wave height ok that would be radar but I'd love to look into the methods used to measure all this stuff, I'm sure it's extremely ingenious. I've looked around and that site stands out as particularly slick and informative.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/23 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
They can measure wind speeds at various heights using radar and sea height by RADAR and LIDAR, but sea currents are indirectly modelled by measuring ocean heights, temperatures, wind speeds etc and measuring the sea floor shape, and modelling how the flow would occur, it's not a direct measurement (that I'm aware of at this point). But bear in mind that they can measure things like plankton flow from space, it's always possible to amalgamate data:
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/878812

Largely unrelated but I love this image:

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/23 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, amazing technology. Note to oneself, don't look up while on the ocean or a satellite will blast you in the eye with a laser!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.