Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting on with it...
David Jenkins

posted on 26/12/02 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Getting on with it...

I've been enjoying a good holiday - trying to do at least one job every day. Front part of the loom now done and tested, coil fitted, everything looking tidy in the engine compartment.

If you're struggling to make progress, try this discipline - it's amazing how much you can get done!

regards,

David
(who's feeling relaxed and cool... )

[Edited on 26/12/02 by David Jenkins]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/12/02 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
what I tried to do was to keep up a certain amountof target hrs per month.

It worked for quite a while, but then coming home in the evening, eating, then going out to beat the crap out of metal for an hour or so lost its appeal.

I tend to do most of my work over a fri eve, sat and sun morning.

However, with more room to work in from my garage extension project, it might be a bit more enticing to go out there and get summat done in January.

Making mould bucks up for the boot and rear wings is next.

atb

Steve

Alan B

posted on 27/12/02 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
I find it helps to split up tasks into small chunks, even 5 or 10 minute jobs. It is then difficult to go out and NOT have something to cross off, even if you have just drilled and tapped a couple of holes

I also like to work on 2 or 3 areas in parallel if possible, then if you run out of parts/wire/gas/enthusiasm you can switch to something else and still make some progess....just make sure you note what stopped the first job and take action to rectify the problem.

I also find that taking lots of pictures helps. It surprising how motivating it is to look back at were you were 1/3/6/12 months ago. You think that you aren't making progress, but the pictures say otherwise (hopefully...)

Steve, please accept my sympathies (moulds).........now that really takes some motivation to keep going. Did you see my first part?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 27/12/02 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like what I've been doing the last few days. First I figured out the databases, then wrote some code to show the forum index, then the threads, then the posts themselves. Did the new post script last night and the user system this morning..... keep looking back and thinking why am I not spending this time in the garage? Easy answer.. It's cold and damp out there! (and it'll keep you lot off my back.. )
Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 27/12/02 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, Discipline, what's that then? Never been too hot on that. Supposed to been reading a book for an exam over the holiday, have I, have I hell. Just like I was supposed to have gone to bed half way earlyish today so I can get up and return the 14" chop saw to the hire shop before 9:00, which is why I was welding my chassis at gone 1:00 am and am now sitting here typing away at almost 2:00am.

My chassis has been coming on jolly nicely though, depite my jig taking about 3 days solid to make!!

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/12/02 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Sounds like what I've been doing the last few days. First I figured out the databases, then wrote some code to show the forum index, then the threads, then the posts themselves. Did the new post script last night and the user system this morning..... keep looking back and thinking why am I not spending this time in the garage? Easy answer.. It's cold and damp out there! (and it'll keep you lot off my back.. )
Chris

Chris - just consider you are doing us all a great public service!

If it wasnt for this site, I too might be out in the cold garage more often!

atb

Steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/12/02 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Steve, please accept my sympathies (moulds).........now that really takes some motivation to keep going. Did you see my first part?

Alan-
you are lucky that you have a big american style garage / barn / city block to work in. I have a single UK garage 18 x 8 ft . About 17ft6 by 7 ft 6 is full of car and the crap needed to build it! I now have a massive 8 x 8 extension on it that although it seems small, is 800% more space than I have right now to move in.

Having to put on old work clothes and struggle for room in the cold isnt motivaing!

The main reason for the extra space is that I expect the mould making to be messy and need a fair bit of space and I dont want to put the car outside.

Im starting with the rear cos I hope those molds arnt going to be too hard. I think the most 'interesting' bit is going to be the front of the car.

Your car has so many angles and profiles I can see where your time is going! I hope mine isnt going to be as time consuming - perhaps thats just a hope!

I saw your recent new assembly - I think none of mine will be as involved to produce. As soon as I have something done I will put it up in pics. End of Jan I expect as everything on my 13 year old house seems to need renovating / painting / re-tiling or wallpapering right now

atb

Steve

[Edited on 27/12/02 by stephen_gusterson]

[Edited on 27/12/02 by stephen_gusterson]

Jasper

posted on 27/12/02 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ere, ere, I get out there most mornings for an hour b4 work, really makes a difference when I come to the next full day...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.