Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 'kit car' on midlands TV
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/1/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
'kit car' on midlands TV

I live in Northants, so I get Anglia and the bbc area from here to norfolk. I dont know what channel it was on.

Anyway, there was an article about a guy who had built a 'sooped up reliant' that works for an engineering company in Towcester.

Did anyone see this?

They harped on about it being a reliant, but to put a more accurate slant on it, its a relaint chassis with a very interesting body.

The engine was 1400cc (not exactly reliant).

The body was all simple curves - not a compound one on the car. The guy had basically created a car sharply tapered at the front, and very - well - hard to describe. Batmans girlfriend or at least Wesly Snipes in Blade would have driven a car like this!

Some might hate the look, but the guy seems to have built a car with cutting looks out of very simple curved sheets on I would guess a frame over a reliant chassis.

atb

Steve

jollygreengiant

posted on 14/1/03 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering where you got the car from in your avatar.

Yes I have now. No I didn't see it.

Enjoy.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/1/03 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
it was actually made about 10 years ago for a school play my then young son was starring in - kept as a souvenir. Complete with cardboard helmet. The car is a mid - late 80's williams driven by mansell.

The pic shows me deputising for him in the Monte Carlo GP. Or was that the Del Monte gp?

atb

Steve.

BTW

anyone thats not seen the news yet......american indycar racing is coming to brands on may 5th. real racing, not that german git winning everything again.

[Edited on 15/1/03 by stephen_gusterson]

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/1/03 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Re that car M8

Northants on Sunday Free snooze paper, Page 3, Chaps Name Malcolm Green, Nicknamed it Stealth cos.....;. ex silversmith, now works at Stable Fabrications on Heskeths Towcester Estate, its got a Renault 5, 1.4 lump.

I have just spenyt an hour trying to get its pics scanned into jpeg format to upload as a link in pics. Failed misseably, **&^&*&^%^&*** computer, closest I got was 2.2Mb which is a bit to big to upload. Might have another go tomorrow, tomorrow , there's always tomorrow, its...........

Enjoy.

interestedparty

posted on 19/1/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I have just spenyt an hour trying to get its pics scanned into jpeg format to upload as a link in pics. Failed misseably, **&^&*&^%^&*** computer, closest I got was 2.2Mb which is a bit to big to upload. Might have another go tomorrow, tomorrow , there's always tomorrow, its...........

Sounds like you need some photo processing software. A scanned pic will normally be much too big for internet use. I got Adobe Photoshop (stripped version) with my scanner. First I crop the pic til it's just the subject matter, then use image reduction to get it down to about 50kb, took a while to learn how to work it, though

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/1/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
well, that would teach me to throw it straight in the bin!

Having removed the potato peel and other unmentionable crud, here it is!

Rescued attachment stealth.jpg
Rescued attachment stealth.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/1/03 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment stealth2.jpg
Rescued attachment stealth2.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/1/03 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
and the press blurb...

actually, I really like it. Its quite a nice shape for summat that hasnt got a single compound curve. Not sure about the front light covers tho...

i also wonder how he got it thro SVA with the sharp front, sharp light shrouds and the pointy bits over the windscreen area..

[Edited on 19/1/03 by stephen_gusterson] Rescued attachment stealth3.jpg
Rescued attachment stealth3.jpg

Peteff

posted on 20/1/03 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
No SVA for trikes yet

It's classed as a trike so it doesn't come under sva rules yet. It would be interesting to get it on the scales and see what it weighs as it may not really qualify as a trike. I'm not too clear on it but the weight cut off is about 440kg or similar. It doesn't have to be a 3 wheeler if it's under the weight it still qualifies as a bike. There is a loophole that could be exploited till the licensing authority catches up with it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ijohnston99

posted on 20/1/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

weight cut off is about 440kg

Do some of you guys with BEC not come under this?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
you are right - three wheels dont count at present.

Mr johnson - only if they take a wheel off

for an interesting 3 wheel idea, see mr chris gibbs's web site.

chrisg

posted on 20/1/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the plug Steve, the trike's on hold at the moment, I'm saving up to tax the locost!!

Trike details

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 20/1/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
no probs Chris - I like the idea, nearly made me fly off at a tangent with ideas at one point. I was thinking of a derivative like the mcclaren f1 two seater, but its hard to fit all them legs in and keep the right proportions!

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.