Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bad day
bodger

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bad day

Bought some wire brushes to clean up my diff this morning & called in at the garage to fill up my wifes car. Put 20 litres of petrol in whilst I was thinking about best way to clean diff then saw the diesel sticker.
Snapped my tow rope trying to get the car home so had to go back to garage & get another.
Thought I'd be clever & use my R1 pump to suck the petrol out of the tank & into my other car. Pump ran for 5 secs & then short circuited itself
Back to siphoning idea. Get outside with all the gear & it just starts P*ssing it down.

And now I've just come on here & admitted putting petrol in a diesel tank. Wife is gonna dine out on that one for a while.

Should've stayed in bed!

trogdor

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
both of my parents have done that to their car, its great as i get the petrol to put in my saab, little bit of diesel is ok with a carb engine.

is easy to sort out on a pug 405 tho there is a bulb on the fuel line in the engine bay and you can just suck all the petrol through and put in to fuel containers.

maybe your car has something similar?

[Edited on 28/2/07 by trogdor]

02GF74

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote

.... but aren't the diesel/petrol nozzles meant not to fit into the wrong orifice???

balidey

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

.... but aren't the diesel/petrol nozzles meant not to fit into the wrong orifice???

But if you have a bid nozzle and little nozzle, it means you can still get it wrong one way, but not the other. What we really need is round and square nozzles.

scottc

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

One is a bigger diameter than the other, but as you know both are still round.

twybrow

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
In theory you cant put diesel into a petrol car - this was done when diesel was rare in cars... Nowadays when diesel is rapidly catching up with petrol in terms of sales/on the road, it is probably time for a rethink!

Diesel into a petrol car isn't nearly as bad as petrol into a diesel car... Did you see when 5th Gear did the test!? They tried it both ways round, and the cars still ran (although the sparks coming from the CAT didn't look sustainable)!

02GF74

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
quote:

One is a bigger diameter than the other, but as you know both are still round.

All I know and need to know is the petrol nozzle is round

is it raining where you are?

pajsh

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit to putting 2/3 tank of unleaded in my Bora TDi on the way back after a very stressfull day and a long day down South.

It ran for about 60 miles and then just stopped dead on the M25 at Heathrow in the roadworks.

Greenflag man said it was the most common call out with several every week.

Guess it ran as deisel is heavier and the petrol sat on top. And then when all the Gazole had gone.......

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

angus.d

posted on 28/2/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Flicking through this months What Car tin-top mag, I read an article on the forthcoming new Ford Mondeo due out this year. One of the 'features' of the car was a device to somehow stop you putting diesel in if it was a petrol car and vice-versa. The article said that IIRC approx 100,000 people in the UK make this mistake annually !!!

Angus.

ash_hammond

posted on 28/2/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Once upon a time I pulled into a pretrol station in london. I watched a very nice porsche boxster pull in next to me, it must of been days old just after the 04 plate had been released. The woman got out of the car and picked up the diesel pump . My teech itched, how could you drive that type of car and not know what fuel it takes. Must be womans ilogic!

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

JAG

posted on 28/2/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
There's some new technolgy coming to stop this - as has been said it's Ford I think.

They have a chip built into the neck of the filler tank and a sensor built into a special nozzle on the pump. The two talk to each other wirelessly and the pump either starts or it won't - if you've got the wrong one.

However it will take a while to get all the filling stations converted etc... and for other manufacturers to get a similar system.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

ash_hammond

posted on 28/2/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I presume that using RF ID Technology?

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

wilkingj

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well... At least you now have a good supply of cleaning fluid for the garage

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bodger

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well what a day it's been.
Spent the whole day trying to get the petrol out of the damned tank.
The filler hose has a sort of U bend in it & then a long straight horizontal section to the tank making it virtually impossible to get a hose into it to syphon out.

The AA/RAC apparently don't do roadside fuel drainage any more due to regulations & so will only offer to tow you to a garage.
Local Renault dealer wants £300 to drain & flush the tank

Looked under the bonnet but without getting a haynes manual it all looks a bit complicated.

Any ideas ?

rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it?
bodger

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Renault Scenic.
clbarclay

posted on 28/2/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
As a family we've driven almost exclusively diesels for 20 years. However on 2 occasions petrol has gone in the tank by mistake. About 3 gallons of 4 star in a nearly empty Range Rover tank, no problem. Just fill it full of diesel and benefit from increased performance, tho' don't thrash it. When 10 galls. went into the Golf we decided not to risk it and syphoned it out. Mistake occurred at Tescos and they called out a breakdown service who towed car home free of charge. Chap said they did it up to twice a day for Tescos. About 4/5 years ago mind, so things may have improved since then as regards colour/size of nozzle, tho' not, I suspect, as regards drivers.

rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with a Scenic,only ever worked on petrol ones . Have to empty petrol/diesel tanks of incorrect fuel a couple of times a week , sometimes the easiest way is to lift the back seat and see if the car has an access panel to the fuel gauge sender unit . If it has its easy to syphon the fuel from there . Have found a vacuum oil drainer very useful as well . Doubt a bike fuel pump would be able to lift the fuel to enable it to syphon . Can you get to any fuel pipe connections under the car? may be possible to connect a hose to drain into suitable container . Be VERY carefull as petrol in the eyes stings like hell, in the ear (don't ask) will put you flat on your back and give you instant earache , the fumes can render you unconcious and thats beside the fire risk .
bodger

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I'll try the seat idea tomorrow. I think I've found the fuel pipe in the engine bay - not as easy as you'd think. There seems to be a combined LP/HP pump & maybe swirl pot since there are about 5 pipes coming out of it, but it's really tight access. I'll peruse the manual in Halfords tomorrow & hopefully get
some ideas.

Oh, bye the way I can vouch for the 'petrol in the eye - stings like hell' comment - just found out the hard way!

[Edited on 28/2/07 by bodger]

rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Often find diesels a bit reluctant to start after drining petrol from system, I use brake cleaner in a pump action bottle to squirt into the inlet whilst engine is being cranked to help start. Don't overdo it if you try as engine will run on it and could overrev . Desiel engines don't appear to get addicted to it like they do with easistart . Also helps to start petrol engines as well .
oadamo

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
take takes me back i lent my mates mini copper years ago and it had a fake petrol cap on the one side lol yeh you no wot happened £10 worth of petrol in the boot psml he went mad
adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.