Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water injection
James

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
You haven't said (that I've read anyway) what engine you have.

With his 450bhp 2.0 Cossie powered 7 I'm not sure Hicost even bothers with water injection any more.

You sure you need it?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
blackbird, it was only an idea, but after having a look at a water spray idea I think I may go for that, I still need to find an inlet temp gauge and seder which im struggling with.
worX

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
blackbird, it was only an idea, but after having a look at a water spray idea I think I may go for that, I still need to find an inlet temp gauge and seder which im struggling with.

I haven't looked myself Dilley, but I imagine this shop might have what you are looking for
http://www.turbobits.co.uk
it was part of the link I put up earlier with an example of the water injection itself.

cheers,
Steve.

edited to add, the shop is nothing to do with me - it's the first one I found in google...

[Edited on 27/3/07 by worX]

RazMan

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered moving the intercooler in front of the radiator? I am sure that will have a dramatic effect on charge temps.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Have you considered moving the intercooler in front of the radiator? I am sure that will have a dramatic effect on charge temps.

It does look like you may have room to put the fan behind your radiator (if you have one of the reversible ones?) and therefore able to fit the intercooler in the front as per Razman's suggestion...

Steve

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
yes I have looked at the turbobits website and it offers a lot of info, I have emailed them with some queries,

I tried fitting the intercooler in front of the rad but it gave me some overheating issues on the water side of things, I have had a look and think I can encase the intercooler and duct it down the transmission tunnel and then fit water spray.

I still need to find a damn gauge and sender

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
also changed to a bigger rad now and fitted the fan on the back, but I hve no room to try the intercooler in front of the rad again, I think alot of people who are building turbo conversions on bike engines are going to have some of the problems I have, Its not a case of bolt on a turbo and drive!!!
RazMan

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you are forced to have the intercooler above the enging then maybe some sealed ducting would improve things. As far as I can see you are directing air towards the intercooler but you really need to seal the sides to force the air through it.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
dpo you mean seal the sides up to the bonnet to force the air through, or seal around underneath to duct the air away????
RazMan

posted on 27/3/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
The critical side is on the intake - it doesn't matter too much where the air exits as long as it can.

Cheers,
Raz

MikeRJ

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect the net airflow through the intercooler as it is now mounted will be very small, you might even be getting hot air comming out The engine compartment in a Locost is a high pressure area, getting air out is just as important as getting it in.

Might be a good idea to stick the intercooler back in front of the radiator and then make sure you are getting adequate airflow out of the engine bay (could use intercooler scoop mounted backwards maybe?).

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
The intercooler should be in front of the radiator as it will not actually be heating up the air (that is assuming there is no turbo fitted...) when water is sprayed on it, the water evaporates quickly in the high airflow and the fins get chilled. No heating of the air occurs, rather the opposite and the air gets a lot damper too, so the radiator behind benefits as well, since the process repeats on it.

over use of commas,,,,,,I know

[Edited on 27/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

pathfinder

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Although a cheaper option I wouldn’t for the wet spray intercooler idea with the intercooler mounted where yours is, this method is usually used for front mounted intercoolers.
Back in my GT Turbo days the most effective method was to use a charge cooler mounted on the bulkhead just above the turbo, in fact the one pace made for the job would probably fit perfectly. Will dig out some photos later,

GT turbo’s those were the good old dayz!!!

worX

posted on 27/3/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
you say that you now have a bigger radiator?

Is there any chance that you could move it over somewhat so the the intercooler could sit in the nosecone aswell - I know they're never going to fit alongside each other, but at least then they would both benefit from the coolest air possible - I had a Lancia Delta Turbo and it had the intercooler mounted off to the side, and only benefited from the frontal air a little, but I suspect that it was better than mounting elsewhere due to engine bay heat?

All above only speculation, but thought I would throw it out there!!!

Steve

DIY Si

posted on 27/3/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Dilley, how much space/clearance do you have underneath the bonnet? One random idea I've just had is this, and it may take a bit of explaining. The under bonnet is a high pressure area on a 7, so air is trying to get out, rather than in. So, if you can duct cold(ish/er) from the front somewhere, through a tube or possibly a tube formed as part of the bonnet (may have sealing issues?) and then have the intercooler lying near horizontal under the bonnet and duct the air stright up and out through a naca duct to gain the best of the push from the high pressure and the suck from the low pressure above the bonnet. This may allow you to use funny shaped tubes, ie wide but flat, to make best use of the available space, and maximise airflow.

Or rather than out of the bonnet, you could use any spare space along side the engine for the pipe work. Shouldn't matter where it is, as long as it gets a cold air feed and is sealed.

[Edited on 27/3/07 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
getting the air in shouldn't be a problem with a bonnet scoop, Its directing the air out of the engine bay thats the problem, I also have dax side panels fitted to the car with the origional side panel cut away, this should pull the air out of the engine bay???
DIY Si

posted on 27/3/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
They the panels with the big gap at the back end? If so, why not just get an intercooler the same size as the gap and fit it in there? Just need to make a duct for the front in a 4 sided pyramid kind of way and add some large pipe to the front. You could even turn the cooler slightly in the hole to allow a bigger one if needed, thus increasing its efficiency a bit at the same time.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

RazMan

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
getting the air in shouldn't be a problem with a bonnet scoop, Its directing the air out of the engine bay thats the problem, I also have dax side panels fitted to the car with the origional side panel cut away, this should pull the air out of the engine bay???

That is the source of your problem. As others have said there is high pressure inside the bonnet and you are trying to force more air into that high pressure area - certainly not good for cooling either rad or i/c

As DIY Si suggests, maybe some kind of internal ducting might improve things but I think the only answer is to relocate the intercooler in front of the rad and then sort out any cooling issues by sucking air out of the bonnet with appropriate vents.

Cheers,
Raz

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I am already pulling the air out through the side panels!!they are the biggest vents you could ever get.
RazMan

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
But you are trying to force air into the same (rear) section of the bonnet. Airflow is the key.

Cheers,
Raz

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
how can the air be forced in through the side panels? surley with a rear opening they act as a vacume?? pulling all the air out of the engine bay rather than it circulating in the engine bay????am Imissing something???
DIY Si

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
The air flows in from the front and will try to leave by any means possible, so it may actually be flowing OUT through the IC vent (Rathe than IN as I assume you want?), as well as out the side.
Whilst it may be a bit more expensive, have you got space for 2 smaller IC in the front somewhere? Ie use a deep, but narrow rad and put ICs either side, or just one deep one next to it, splitting the better cold flow you get in the nose cone.

[Edited on 27/3/07 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
anything at the front is not possible, if Ican duct the air from round the intercooler down the tunnel will this help??I have air from the front and air from the scoop, I thought that this should vent out of the side panels and tunnel.........the intercooler is tight to the bonnet, so for air to escape through the scoop it would hve to pass thrpough the intercooler.

other option is a fan on the bottom of the intercooler????

[Edited on 27/3/07 by dilley]

DIY Si

posted on 27/3/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst there may be air flowing through the IC, if it comes from the engine bay it will be quite hot, so probably won't help much. Otherwise any airflow is better than none, so as long as you can force air to travel from the front, through the IC and out somewhere, then jobs a good 'un. Forcing it down the tunnel will also help keep you warm.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
leave off the engine bay side panels altogether as you don't even need them. Once mines though it's SVA their in the bin.

[Edited on 28/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.