Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Useful/Recommended Tools
Dick Axtell

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Useful/Recommended Tools

Hey ChrisW,

Here's one subject area not catered for.
Surely all the combined expertise of this group (grope?) of builders must have a whole catalogue of fave & highly-regarded tools? Could we start such a section?
The Mig welder is almost an essential, and has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere on this list; David Jenkins has contributed via his website, others (Rorty, Rob Lane etc.) have also added their views, and I anticipate plenty of feedback from Steve Gusterson.
Waddya got?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

ned

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
A section along the lines of:

"Tools, Equipment & Jigs - what to use and how to use it"

??

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/8/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Dick, whatcha trying to say!

Its quite suprising really how little equipment you can get by with to build a car, and in how small and crappy a space too!

Especially when you make things hard for yourself by deviating from 'book' as much as I have.

I recon, after the mig, the second most useful tool is an angle grinder. The 115mm ones are great for general work, and I recommend a 230mm one also for serious cutting work. The larger one it way too much of a beast for general work.

I have bought a fair few tools - like a circular saw - which have been great for making up wooden formers for GRP moulds, but I wouldnt call it essential.

A non-tool, but VERY esential item is a covered heated work area - unless you want to build outside on 10 nice days a year!

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Hey ChrisW,

Here's one subject area not catered for.
Surely all the combined expertise of this group (grope?) of builders must have a whole catalogue of fave & highly-regarded tools? Could we start such a section?
The Mig welder is almost an essential, and has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere on this list; David Jenkins has contributed via his website, others (Rorty, Rob Lane etc.) have also added their views, and I anticipate plenty of feedback from Steve Gusterson.
Waddya got?

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Digital camera...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 19/8/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Digital camera...

Yeah......in due course!! I wouldn't show anybody the state of my lock-up, until it's had a major clear-up. I focus only on the detail, for now.

Dick Axtell

posted on 19/8/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Hey Dick, whatcha trying to say!

A non-tool, but VERY esential item is a covered heated work area...

Heated????? Only when I lose my rag!!! (Usually at my own stupidity). Otherwise I shall have to wear the thermals for winter work.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/8/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
when I say heater, I mean a 2kw fan hearter fighting a throu draft in a garage. Slightly above freezing may be a better term!

Tools I dont have : A pillar drill, a bench, a decent vice, or any machining equipment.

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Digital camera...

Yeah......in due course!! I wouldn't show anybody the state of my lock-up, until it's had a major clear-up. I focus only on the detail, for now.

Actually Dick I meant it more of a build up aid rather than a showing off tool.

I have taken thousands of pictures which I can then view in the comfort of my house.....then make design and planning decisions accordingly....

The equivalent of stood in the garage just staring....

leto

posted on 19/8/03 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
This contraption is made up of parts from a cheep angel grinder stand an two tile cutters. It can do long and straight cuts. Almost all pipes on the frame we are building has been cut with it.

I would prefer a band saw but don't have the budget.

Cheers Leif

[Edited on 19/8/03 by leto]

[Edited on 19/8/03 by leto]

JoelP

posted on 19/8/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I spent 10x on tools what i spent on the car so far, and i'd probably swap it all for a double garage, with lights and power sockets.... undoubtedly this is the most useful asset!

Just have to wait til the mansions finished...!

Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Stella.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Stella.....

Legal or jailbait?........

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/8/03 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking more

artois.

BTW Alan.

thats a beer. You dont seem to have beer in USA if budweiser is an example.

[Edited on 19/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Erm...yeah Steve...I know what Stella is..

We can actually get draught Boddingtons here........now that IS beer....

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/8/03 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I want a DC Inverter TIG welder, I don't really need it, I can manage without it, it will cost about £250, plus cylinder rental, BUT I WANT ONE!!!!
Stu16v

posted on 19/8/03 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for clarifying that Steve, I did mean the beer...

Alan, I trust my little 'secret' is safe with you....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Dick Axtell

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Tools I dont have : ...a bench, a decent vice,...

You some kind of masochist?
In my lock-up there was a bench (now buried under loadsa bits & crap), and an indispensible vice. That's a minimum requirement.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/8/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I make do.

I have a bench at work with a good vice on it.

At home, I have a tiny vice, varous G clamps, 2 workmate thingys and a metal frame from an industrial conveyor that serves as a surface to hit / bend / clamp things to.

atb

steve

quote:
quote:
Tools I dont have : ...a bench, a decent vice,...

You some kind of masochist?
In my lock-up there was a bench (now buried under loadsa bits & crap), and an indispensible vice. That's a minimum requirement.

[Edited on 20/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

eddie

posted on 21/8/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
a quality cigarette lighter, such as those offered by zippo, they even make them with a snap-on logo if you dont see it as a 'real' tool...

personally i favor my jack daniels one given to me by my wife before a short 'buisness trip' to kuwait in january

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

kingr

posted on 27/8/03 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Well, being lucky enough to have a double garage with power and light, but no heating, I can't imagine how cramped it must be to build a car in a single garage. Essential tool - clamps, lots and lots of clamps and the biggest socket extension you can lay your hands on.

Kingr

sgraber

posted on 29/8/03 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
So far my entire car has been built with a sawzall, a mig welder, a 4" angle grinder, a tape measure and lately a bandsaw (indespensable really). Some misc hand tools including a metric socket set are required to disassemble the donor vehicle.

A quick drive around the neighborhood will probably be enough to disassemble the car that's taking shape in my garage! Maybe should'a gotten a bigger mig welder!

No heater required for my garage, but I will take an air conditioner thanks! It's still well over 100f out there....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.