Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Web cams
Mark Allanson

posted on 27/9/03 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Web cams

This is definately 'anything else'!

Number one daughter is at uni in bristol, and we have just discovered MSN Messenger - it has a web cam feature so I am going to get a pair of these, and send one up to her.

A few questions . Do they have microphones? If not will any microphone plugged into the sound card work? Any to avoid - recommend?
Can you talk face to face with them?

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

eddie

posted on 27/9/03 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
within reason you can plug any mic in, but it would probably be easier to invest in a headset mic made for use with a 'pooter (less chance of feed back)

this is just from my own experiance so others may know better.....

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 27/9/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I use webcams from my work connection to home (ADSL broadband). I get around 5 frames per second broadband. It's very good and will get through a completely anal work/university firewall whereas previous versions screwed up.

I haven't used the audio facilities yet, but an informed source tells me there is a latency issue. It's like speaking to someone on the moon! I stick to typed text. I should get a (free) headset next week, so I'll be trying myself. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Neil.

flyingkiwi

posted on 27/9/03 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I use the headset when playing online games, with msn I've never had a problem with delay, unless your chatting with someone running a slower connection, then you can end up with two conversations at once.

If you use a normal mic on a stick you'll find the feedback from the speakers is hard going, you'll hear what you said two seconds later.

I recommend getting a deceint webcam, my first one was cheap and it showed. I use it alot to chat with people back in NZ. Save's loads on phone calls

Chris

[Edited on 27/9/03 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.