Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Never mind building a sports car for under £250......
rabiddog

posted on 15/10/03 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind building a sports car for under £250......

My rant for the day,
Never mind building sports cars built for £250 some one should write a book on how to build a decent size shed or garage for under £250 they'd make a fortune!
Seriously a builder friend of mine told me that to errect a brick built garage cost about £15000
Any one got any ideas how to make a decent shed on a budget?
Craig

JoelP

posted on 15/10/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
do it yourself. foundations are easy, brick laying is easy if you arent a perfectionist, and roofing is just carpentry.

readers digest DIY book is massive and covers everything!

rell

posted on 15/10/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I heard someone say that befor it looked a bit of a mess so he had it pebble dashed looked a lot better and it is still standing 15 years later

have a practace with a BBQ.
some people can do it and some carn't it and some can do it with some practace its as simple as that.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 15/10/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
You could try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3149166033&category=30

But seriously try Ebay or Loot for precast concrete units.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

stats

posted on 15/10/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Shed? Try a Barn

The house we moved into has a small "Barn" 'bout 20X18ft earth floor Yet to be concreted but got power got water got radio and building a locost. This can't be so expensive and diy capable timber joining 3 metal frames with corrogated roof and wooden shiplap for the sides with lots of nails or nail gun. Proposed time three days and that is with time for coffee breakes

Stats

rell

posted on 15/10/03 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
how big do you want you garage it should be proper man size with apex roof and cavaty wall for 15000
flyingkiwi

posted on 15/10/03 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
was watching that inventors program on sky the other day, some guy had come up with the idea of brick "teabags". The idea being that you stick the teabag (full of mortar mix) between two bricks then pour water down the holes, the poly bag dissolves leaving behind a prefectly formed mortar. Bloody easy if you ask me!

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

ned

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I helped my Dad erect a concrete section garage, they're often in the local ads as Gordon suggests, we knew a builder at the time who was erecting a new garage, we just had to go and collect the old one before it was dumped for hardcore...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Top Tip

If you live in a rural area or just want to P the neighbours off consider getting a refrigerater box body off of a lorry. They are quite cheap, insulated, secure and with the addition of a few second hand windows and skylights make excellent garages.

Mick

rell

posted on 16/10/03 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
if you leave the refrigerator unit on you will have air con for the summer lol
stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/10/03 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
There are local planning regs regarding siting and sizes of sheds and garages - check yours before doing anything. In Northants, anything over 10 mtrs cubed volume is likely to need permission. thats a fairly small shed...

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 16/10/03 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
if its on wheels you dont need permission i think. doesnt necessarily need to move, just have a castor on each corner!

JC got a russian warplane in his garden with no permission even though its huge.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/10/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
if its on wheels you dont need permission i think. doesnt necessarily need to move, just have a castor on each corner!

JC got a russian warplane in his garden with no permission even though its huge.

my son tells me its a lightening, but he could be wrong.

Clarkson lives in the cotswolds - im pretty sure that some rule is against it!

Mark Allanson cant even put a locost in a barn in cornywoll

atb

steve

theconrodkid

posted on 16/10/03 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
thought it was a harrier

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mk-Ninja

posted on 16/10/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
its alot easier to land a harrier than a lightning in your back garden

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

JoelP

posted on 16/10/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
that rich git clarkson probably has space for a damn runway anyway! actually i like the bloke, but its a bit mad innit? buying a warplane....

steve, i dont actually know what plane it was i just guessed russian cos not many countries would sell warplanes to civilians, russia probably would!

[Edited on 16/10/03 by JoelP]

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
"its alot easier to land a harrier than a lightning in your back garden"

Both are as easy to land in your garden, but the former would have a much greater chance of taking off again!

Steve was right, the barn I was using has planning permission as an agricultural building, but locost building is not considered as agricultural use, so planning regs and one old git neighbour means building in the back garden alfresco. Old git now has a locost being built 6 feet from his kitchen window instead of 50 feet away in a fairly soundproof barn!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
its amazing that some neighbours would even bother souring relations by moaning about what you do in your own goddam barn. bloody fools, i think we have the last laugh anyway.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ned

posted on 17/10/03 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have a friend who has similar problems. Living in a converted barn looses you all normal rules eg conservatories, garages, porches etc all need planning permission. The garage block he built for his cars is down as agricultural - tractor restoration (the tractors now live outside

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thekafer

posted on 19/10/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
When its not regs,its neighbors

A guy up at work wanted to build a shop in the lot behind his house.He built a shop to look like a horse barn,complete with bridals hanging on the wall outside,a weather vane,a feed barrel ect...One would never guess it was a shop from the outside.Neighbors never said a thing and according to him they normally b!tch about everything.

someday,Fletch

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

mad-butcher

posted on 22/10/03 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 20ft container on order cost £200 literaly waiting for it to fall off the back of a wagon clad it in timber put a cheap roof on it, if the neighbours don't like it they can go F##k themselves when i move it goes with me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.