Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Women - "Fuel Guage...whats that for then?"
locoboy

posted on 4/11/03 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Women - "Fuel Guage...whats that for then?"

Could be one for Ned!

My girlfriend has run out of Diesel (again) in her 306 HDi,

the car re-started and got her home (3 miles) after putting a 5 litre can in the tank.

It now sounds like a bag of shyte, i assume this will be air in the fuel still as it has not had time to bleed out.

Is it safe to drive to a petrol station brobably about 8 miles, what damage can be done if any?

I am led to beleive the system can self bleed.

ATB
Locoboy

MK9R

posted on 4/11/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Be very careful with the peugeot diesel as the fuel pumps seize up if ran with no fuel in it. My dad had a 306 TD and got contaminated fuel in it which blocked the filter, he wrecked 2 fuel pumps which was very expensive!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 4/11/03 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I ran out of fuel in company 406 HDi, I put some fuel in, it splutted a bit, gave it a blast down the motorway and that was that, ran like a dream, dont know if I was lucky or what .

By the way this one had a faulty gauge, it was reading 1/4 full when it ran out.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

JoelP

posted on 4/11/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mk-Ninja
By the way this one had a faulty gauge, it was reading 1/4 full when it ran out.

thats what they all say...!

ChrisW

posted on 4/11/03 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can circulate the fuel in the low pressure diesels by working the hand pump under the bonnet. I would imagine a few minutes hard pumping (oo-er!) would push all the air out? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding how it works!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 4/11/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
...our lass did the same, but if I'd gone to pick her up in the tank, I would have asked her to sit and wait for a minute or two. Drove a safe distance away, then promptly directed the Howitzer at it... especially if it was the second time!!!

Don't waste your hard earned putting 5 Ltr's in next time - oh yes, there will be one, it's in the genes!

locoboy

posted on 5/11/03 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
There is no hand pump on the new HDi engines unfortunately, but i did decide to take it for a blast to see what happened, it seemed to correct its self within a few miles and seems ok now apart from maybe a kind of whistling/sucking noise but it may just be me being paranoid!Thanks for your advice/friendly wee take etc...

She has been warned that there will not be another time!

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 5/11/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
i've run out of diesel on my 1.9td before, takes ages to pump the fuel back from the tank (to the point of nearly flattening the battery) unless you use the little primer squeezy thing under the bonnet.

don't know too much about the hdi engines (what does the 'HDI' bit stand for anyone?)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Peteff

posted on 5/11/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
unless you use the little primer squeezy thing

You don't have to get all technical on us Bob. Keep it simple for the mechanically challenged amongst us. It helps if you disconnect the union at the injector as there is less pressure in the system and it pumps easier. Crack them open 1 to 4 and bleed till fuel gets there either with the lifter pump or battery then tighten them and start up.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 5/11/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

I thnk its High pressure Direct Injection.

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 5/11/03 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
thanks col.

peteff, i didn't see bobs post?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

theconrodkid

posted on 5/11/03 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
on the new common rail hp pump thingys
dont crack the pipes as they wont seal again,run at stupid pressure,electric pump in the tank as well

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

locoboy

posted on 5/11/03 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
That may explain the god awful whining noise i heard while the pre heaters were working, it was probably some fuel pump that gets the system up to pressure before you start it, trying to pressurise air rather than fuel.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.