Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Operating System Poll
Hellfire

posted on 7/11/03 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Ned - even hand held thingys like pda's and im guessing phone booth internet stuff uses a form of 'windows' such as the embedded 'ce' version.

I tend to run about 3 years behind the times.

I bought 95 the day it came out, once used to it , it was great.

thing is, apart from stuff like USB support, bigger HD's and other 'internal' stuff, nothing much seems to have changed from an everyday user point of view.

Do you really need so much more and 3gigateraflops of cpu power to browse the internet at the average joe's home computer?

At work, I run Me. At home I have two PCs. One with Me and one 98se. I cant see the difference in normal use...they feel the same.

What this poll has shown nicely is if you rehash the same old thing, make it more complicated and say its a must have, then people buy it.

if on the other hand you need whizzy hardware that most people dont need to support, then perhaps XP is an essential. But wouldnt Me have done just as well in most cases?

atb

steve

I tend to agree with Steve on this one - if ME suits him and he has little problem with it, why change it. The old addage - if it ain't broke don't mend it - springs to mind. (However, it normally isn't long before it does break!) I know lots of people who had XP from day1 and had nothing but problems with it due to it's adolescent drivers. It wasn't prepared enough for the market and should have sufferred badly as a consequence, alas it still dominates as seen by my poll. There are very many issues which I agree with Steve again on I always like to stay 1 year behind, let the hyenas teeth on it for a while. In a greedy consumer driven world thank god for simple (?) Kit Car's to keep our feet on the ground!

pbura

posted on 7/11/03 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I tend to run about 3 years behind the times.

Sure enough, the cutting edge will make you bleed

I have 98se, tweaked and sorted and I know it like the back of my hand. The last time I bought a computer it took several days to get everything working properly, because I have a buttload of business software, so I don't relish change for change's sake.

I often use 2000 and XP on clients' computers, and their 1800 mhz machines and 1000 mb of RAM don't run appreciably better than my 750 mhz Athlon. The key is turning off all the background crapola.

Pete

Pete

sgraber

posted on 8/11/03 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I write software programs for a living.

I have at least 4 of each and every Micro$haft WinBlows OS version. A total of 35 test machines running all different configurations of software/hardware.

Without a doubt Windows ME is the most buggy and crash-prone OS of the lot. You couldn't pay me enough to use it on a daily basis in a production environment. For occasional use it's fine I suppose.

Windows XP and 2000 are almost identical as far as reliability. XP is a lot prettier, but you gotta have a lot of RAM and a good video card to live with it.

I like MAC OSX a lot, but can't get past the single button mouse... The positive of that is you can program with mittens on...

Linux Red Hat 9 running WINE on a small laptop. Just learning how to use it. The newer OS installers have come a loooong way. It's very easy to install and use! I like it a lot. WINE is incredible in that they reverse engineered all the calls to the Microsoft OS without infringing on patent. Wow. Brainiacs.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 8/11/03 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Heartening to see there are a fair few other UNIX junkies out there

I reccomend FreeBSD.. like Linux, but grownup.

I shall say no more though, I get accused of rabid FreeBSD advocacy too much

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/11/03 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Currently using XP, took half a day to do a clean install & full load of all programs on athon 2.2 / 60gig / 256mb (touch wood) so far has been no problems at all. the only thing that seemed to slow it down at all was when I installed antivirus/internet security suit. Xp is only an upgrade of Win2000. in the past i have used 98, win for workgroups, win, dos 6, drdos, & dos. First programing used was in algol69.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

flyingkiwi

posted on 8/11/03 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
given the option I would use 2k, but as all pc's come with XP and the missus likes it will have to stick with it . And sod to going out to buy it! It's almost £500 for the home addition (or something like that)

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.