Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem with daily motor - Volks Passat TDI
givemethebighammer

posted on 2/1/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with daily motor - Volks Passat TDI

I have a problem with my 1.9 TDI Volks Passat 110bhp ( T reg).

Two days ago I was reversing off my father's drive and the engine cut out and would not restart. The car still turned over and showed no warning lights. We checked the cam belt - OK, then suspected the fuel cut off switch on the fuel pump. We removed the switch and took the piston out, replaced the switch but still the engine would not start.

From here we had no idea where to start, the car had been running perfectly and had never missed a beat since new (it now has 120,000 miles on it). Always serviced regularly and on time. I suspect this may be something electrical (I have been told the fuel pump relay can go on these engines, but I have no idea where to find it !!!)

Any ideas people, because otherwise it will be going into the garage (£££) next week for repair and I will kick myself if it is something really stupid...

thanks

David Jenkins

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
You haven't got one of those kill switches somewhere. which shuts everything down in case of an accident?

I know that Fiats had a problem where some minor incident would shut them down until the switch was reset.

Otherwise, get the Haynes manual and work through their diagnostic checks...

good luck!

David

givemethebighammer

posted on 3/1/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is just that - no Haynes Manual yet, unless they have just published it.

No info = no place to start ...

Hoped some else on the group had a car with the VAG group 1.9 TDI lump in it and may have had simlar issues.

thanks anyway Dave

Peteff

posted on 3/1/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just check it's not stripped the teeth off the cam belt. They still look alright but the bottom pulley turns and the top one doesn't. It's happened to my bro in law, luckily no damage.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 4/1/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
thanks Pete, we checked the cam belt with the cover off, all turns as it should. I am still convinced it is something electrical, not sure why, just a gut feeling.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.