Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More help needed with my scooter project - chain this time
mad-butcher

posted on 6/5/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
maybe I'm missing something but if it's rigid rear end then chain angle doesn't matter as it's in constant tension ( as in a chain drive diff ) to tension/adjust the chain, you only really need say 2 links play can you not slot the mounting plate for the rear axle bearing carriers
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 6/5/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
The problem was more that with the tight chain angle I was worried that it would hit the engine casing, but I think I've resigned myself to the idea that, if it proves necessary, adjusting the clearance using an angle grinder isn't the end of the world. I didn't really want to do it that way, but it's a whole load of effort to go to for a 'proper' fix.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 6/5/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you are worried that a plastic guide wheel will wear, why not just use a small free-running sprocket?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Fred W B

posted on 6/5/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Gearing sounds right now.

I would also prefer a proper idler sprocket, rather than a plastic roller.

With such a short chain run, you have to be carefull to keep the sprokets well aligned in the longitudinal direction. It is easier to move the engine to adjust the chain slack, rather than trying to keep the axle square in the chassis if you move that for chain adjustment.

With the solid axle you need to keep the axle square in the chassis so that the contraption runs straight.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 6/5/12 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.