Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vindicator sprint mk1 problems
Bigheppy

posted on 7/2/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Vindicator sprint mk1 problems

Help. Some time ago I bought a vindicator chassis (cheap off ebay) and accumilated the parts to begin to build up a rolling chassis. I have come across a problem with the front suspension (cortina top and bottom arms and tie bar)in that the front tie bar does not line up with its mounting bracket it appears 25mm too short and the bracket is at the wrong angle. As I have a front crossmember from a cortina mk3 I made a jig using the original mounting points, when offered to the chassis none of the mounting points line up. After further investigstion I have also discovered that the lower track control mountings are 30mm further apart and the top wishbones are 20mm further apart than the cortina, thus increasing the track. I realise that increasing the negative camber will not harm the car but due to the increase in track the steering rack ends up being too short after winding the track rod ends out by 13mm each side there is not enough threads left each TRE being only 15mm on the steerig arm.

Does any one know if there are any differences between mk3 4 or 5 cortinas that may resolve my issues. I have found that the later cortinas may have slightly longer track control arms. Or is it just unfortunate that the early vindicator chassis are built wrong.

I know the suspension I have is from an early cortina mk3 as it has the oval tie bar bushes.

Has anyone got any build instructions for this mk1 chassis ?

problems 2
problems 2

problems
problems

It won't be easy to alter the track control arm mountings due to the close proximity of the chassis rails as shown in the above photo

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Bigheppy]

mark chandler

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina Wishbones are all the same, III, IV, V.

But to be honest the wishbones are big and heavy, the standard springs will be much to hard for this use, altogether not the most satisfactory job, just exists for ease of assembly, or not in your case.

Much better to discard, have a measure up for some nice light wishbones and build a Locost front end.

Regards Mark

Bigheppy

posted on 8/2/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Much better to discard, have a measure up for some nice light wishbones and build a Locost front end

Got to admit I am considering that option, but due to the dimensions of the front of the chassis it is not an easy option.

vindicator chassis
vindicator chassis

And to make things worse i've already bought poly bushes for the cortina suspension

rusty nuts

posted on 8/2/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
IF you could find one it might be a good idea to check the diamensions against a Cortina subframe? I agree the Cortina set up is not ideal in a 7 type car and it may well be worth converting to a locost set up?
Bigheppy

posted on 8/2/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
IF you could find one it might be a good idea to check the diamensions against a Cortina subframe? I agree the Cortina set up is not ideal in a 7 type car and it may well be worth converting to a locost set up?

I have a cortina sub frame thats how I found that the mounts appear wrong. After much investigation it looks like the track control mounting is at the wrong angle ie not parallel with the bottom of the chassis. If this were corrected the top mount would line up but need to be moved back by approx 15mm, the tie bar mount would then need to be moved back 25mm and its angle changed. The next problem would be addressing the increased track, 30mm,each track control mounting would need to be moved in by 15mm, not possible without major alterations to the chassis. I could live with the increased track but the track rod ends dont have enough thread screwed onto the rack.

I wonder if this is why the chassis has been part built then sold on several times.

It may not look like a 7 type car i'd like to design a body when I get these problems sorted.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.