Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ditch the ABS rubbish? would that save the vectra??
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ditch the ABS rubbish? would that save the vectra??

A while back I posted a problem with the vectra in that the sensor cogs on the CV joints were so rusted they no longer work and to replace them would cost so much it wouldn’t be worth it.

linky to previous post and trully rusty part

But I just thought, what if I chuck the ABS stuff in the bin and simply fit an non ABS master cylinder

that would save me having to change the CV joints

That would work for the MOT???

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
You'd need to disable the ABS warning light as well - having the light on (ABS system not functioning) is a fail in itself....

I guess you'd also need to declare it to the insurance - if you have an accident and they inspect the car and find the ABS disabled permanently they would be unlikely to pay out....

[Edited on 9/3/09 by vinny1275]

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
You'd need to disable the ABS warning light as well - having the light on (ABS system not functioning) is a fail in itself....

Take the bulb out

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Danozeman

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
How old is it?

My mates cav GSI we took the bulb out and unplugged the module. Never any more trouble and it went through mot's.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
good point about the insurance, its a P reg iirc. I thought the MOT guy would object due to the ABS valve thingy in the engine compartment basically not working, so was thinking of chucking that. The bulbs an easy kill.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just fit new ABS rings to the shafts, last time I fitted them to Rover 45 it took 15-20 minutes per side, just pop the CV joint out the wheel bearing clean up the the rusty bit of the cv joint and heat shrink the new rings on.
Job done.

Only thing to watch is the cost of the new rings varies greatly, some web base supplier try totally ripp off prices.

[Edited on 9/3/09 by britishtrident]

minitici

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Are the ABS reluctor rings machined into the CV joints or are they the shrunk on type?
I just replaced the two split reluctor rings on my Suzuki - easy done and a lot cheaper than new CVs

http://www.reluctorrings.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I checked them carefully, as far as I can see they're part of the cv joint casting, though I know on some cars they are separate. See my previous post for a pic when I cleaned it up.

though after looking at that web site, it lists Vectra rings....I'm not so sure now, looked one piece to me tbh, think I'll grind one off and see what happens, cheers

[Edited on 9/3/09 by Mr Whippy]

smart51

posted on 9/3/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Does the vehicle take the wheel speeds from the ABS over the CAN bus? Modern cars do. Bin the ABS and lose the instrument pack and perhaps some functions of the EMS. Old cars didn't bother with this.
02GF74

posted on 9/3/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
kittens cannt save
kittens cannt save

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I checked them carefully, as far as I can see they're part of the cv joint casting, though I know on some cars they are separate.

did you try electrolysis?

with that much rust, it would be very hard to tell if they are one piece or not.

how much are replacement rings?

the bloke who made my trigger wheels should be able to make some replacements if you know number of teeth, outer diameter and inner diameter. ( my estimate £ 20 max).

MikeRJ

posted on 9/3/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Are the ABS reluctor rings machined into the CV joints or are they the shrunk on type?
I just replaced the two split reluctor rings on my Suzuki - easy done and a lot cheaper than new CVs

£40 for a reluctor ring seems like daylight robbery to me.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Does the vehicle take the wheel speeds from the ABS over the CAN bus? Modern cars do. Bin the ABS and lose the instrument pack and perhaps some functions of the EMS. Old cars didn't bother with this.

? dude really I haven't a clue what your talking about, are we still on brakes?? I'm use to pistons and pipes, not sci fi gizmo stuff

< note the 70 year old engine tec I use

minitici

posted on 9/3/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by minitici

£40 for a reluctor ring seems like daylight robbery to me.

No £217 (each) + VAT + Fitting from main stealer is daylight robbery (complete CVs - and they did not have any in the country!).

[Edited on 9/3/09 by minitici]

nick205

posted on 9/3/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
TBH Whip, looking at the photo in your other thread I'm wondering whether the MoT tester might think there's an excessive corrosion fail regardless of the ABS issue. I've had fails on older cars for parts less corroded than those.

stevebubs

posted on 9/3/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
For Mr Frugal, you didn't look very far....

The rings appear to be 9.99 on ebay...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=vectra+abs

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
TBH Whip, looking at the photo in your other thread I'm wondering whether the MoT tester might think there's an excessive corrosion fail regardless of the ABS issue. I've had fails on older cars for parts less corroded than those.

true, but strangely the body’s not that bad really and its only the calipers and cv joints that are unusually corroded. I have no idea why that would be the case tbh.

smart51

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

? dude really I haven't a clue what your talking about, are we still on brakes?? I'm use to pistons and pipes, not sci fi gizmo stuff

Yep. The ABS uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate the speed of the vehicle. It then tells all the other ECUs what it is so they don't have to guess. Modern instrument packs rely solely on this. Your vectra may or may not do this due to its age.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.