Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've bitten the bullet!
omega0684

posted on 19/3/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've bitten the bullet!

so today i spent an hour figuring where to cut the holes in my bonnet so that some lovely cold air would flow straight into the TB's to try and improve the power a little, i finally bit the bullet and started drawing and hacking to get some nice holes, here are some photo's of my adventures!

the edges still need trimming but you get the jist of it, i was a bit worried about what it might turn out like it i went wrong but i think it actually looks quite smart, i have some gold mesh that i might put behind the holes but im not sure yet?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 19/3/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good so far

any idea how what your going to cover the edge with ?

I'm not sure that the gold coloured mesh will look right - plain alloy colour would get my vote

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. To finish edges id just sand down and colour in with green marker. Mesh on back - job done.

twybrow

posted on 19/3/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good Alex - I can't wait for my ride tomorrow!
Davey D

posted on 19/3/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. you going to put some mesh behind it?

Slater

posted on 19/3/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good so far. Silver/Chrome/Alloy mesh will look better than gold.

I am interested to see the final pictures, as I will be doing exactly the same thing as you very soon.

PS
It's always good to see a proper BRG car.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Danozeman

posted on 19/3/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good mate. Id use silver or black mesh. Gold wont look right.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BenB

posted on 19/3/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with plain silver or black mesh.
Gold would look a bit too bling IMHO...
Nice job though!!!

YQUSTA

posted on 19/3/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
looks good.

I would go with black mesh

DIY Si

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, just don't forget to colour in the none green edges. Sliver or black mesh are the only allowable colours, gold is a bit OTT

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Keith Weiland

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice, I thought you were going to cut a BF hole in the side, didn't realise you were just cutting some small ovals.

BTW your car is leaking oil from somewhere. found a couple patches on my drive where you were parked.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job.
You could trim the outer edges with aluminium riveted on like i did on my old bonnet.
3/4
3/4

[Edited on 19/3/09 by roadrunner]

Steve Hignett

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good!
I wouldn't bother with any mesh at all though - no point IMO!

omega0684

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
im going to go for a black mesh cuz im gradually trying to get the car into the colour scheme of green and carbon fibre/black and away from green/ali.

what can i use at attach the mesh to the under side of the bonnet, does it have to be a heat resistant adhesive?

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used PU adhesive. Helps to stop the edges of mesh rubing on the filter. Sikaflex etc. Clean bonet, run a bead around, push mesh in place and smooth PU over where it ozzes through the mesh. Then just hope you never have to take it off.

I used silver mesh over round holes on mine. Black on the rest. Prefer the black.

omega0684

posted on 20/3/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
ok, so continuing on from yesterday when i started cutting holes in my bonnet, i spent this morning sorting out the finishing touches, so my question is grill or no grill, i must admit im swaying towards the black mesh, i think it looks ded smart

02GF74

posted on 20/3/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I voted for 1 big hole...... and then why almost completely block it off it with that "mesh"?

I hate that type of mesh - expanded mesh = cheap and nasty as opposed to woven wire = good and posh.

Take a trip to B&Q to the rabbbit hutch department, you can by very open mesh that will prevent small birds and mammals getting sucked in by the carb yet allowing a good unobstructed air flow.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.