Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY throttle bodies
NS Dev

posted on 28/3/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
DIY throttle bodies

I know there are a few posts already on this subject but I thought I would start a new one with this find!

I was a bit reluctant to put this up straight away but as long as I get to the breakers on Monday I should be ok!!!!!!!

I have found a very good supply for DIY throttle bodies, someone is bound to say they have already done this but get hold of two throttle housings off a Ford 2.9 Cologne V6, common as muck in scrapyards, worth nothing cos they don't go wrong! They are on 80mm ish centres and have a 54mm ish intake tapering down to a 43?mm butterfly (my bore guage for this size is missing!! doh!). The assembly is nice and short, and ends with a nice symmetrical 6 bolt flange! The centres are a bit narrow for my XE 16v but I am sure I can make a manifold up to suit!

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, meant to add, they already have a throttle pot fitted to one end of the housing (so you can either use it or fit a different one to the mountings, and discard the second one) pair and if you reverse the throttle shaft on the second one you get a nice central linkage with adjusters just like Jenvey's!
James

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the info' I'm after for my next engine!

Nice one that man!!!

James

malcolmstoddart

posted on 30/3/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
good one..!!! but does anyone have pictures of how to do this....???

cheers

Mal

chrisg

posted on 30/3/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, and a description using lots and lots of little words.

.and very simple diagrams.

Cheers

Chris

(Thick??, Me?)

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/04 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
The Grandad throttle bodies are a good idea, I was toying with mating a Twin 4DCOE inlet manifold to a welded up Rover 820 mpi plenum -- its big and has a large throttle body. The injectors would have been housed on bosses welded on the manifold., but the Grandad idea sound much better.
sgraber

posted on 1/4/04 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
PicciesPlease! Is there a US equivalent to the Grandada?

I've currently got a set of ZX9r Bike Carbs that I want to convert, but your solution sounds even nicer... I'd like to see the pic's tho.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 2/4/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Right, time for an update!! Got a throttle body and done some measuring! The port centres of the pair of ports on the throttle body are 75mm, unfortunately my Vauxhall 16v XE is 90mm so it doesn't line up very well!! Doh!!

The butterflies in the body are 45mm diameter, and the intake is 53mm tapering down to the butterfly, then back up again to 53mm, which is a bit annoying!!

In the USA, I'm not sure whether this engine was used? It is the "German" V6 2.9 litre engine, with EFI and two Bosch airflow meters. (one connected to each half of the throttle body.

Another point, the body does not have the mounting for the injectors. I am using a standard Vaxuhall manifold (with integral injector bosses) cut down to 60mm long and milled flat, with adaptors welded on.

James

posted on 2/4/04 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
You got any pictures? My Dad had a 2.9i Grandad but I can't remember what these bit looked like!

Can you take a 'slice' of the tube in which the butterflies are mounted and weld this to an appropriate diameter tube? Would that get you over the problem of the tube diameter changing?
Or have I missed the point?

Cheers,

James

malcolmstoddart

posted on 6/4/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
without sounding rude, but can somebody post some pictures so we all can see whats going on...!!!!

cheers

NS Dev

posted on 7/4/04 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
should be some pics in my archive now (if I've done it right!!)
britishtrident

posted on 8/4/04 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Great picture a pity the pitch of the bores is a bummer.
Looking over my cars it MIGHT just be possible to mount Rover 214/414 K16 Efi throttle bodies with a 90mm pitch.

The Rover body is plastic with a smaller bore I think about 50mm at the manifold flange end. Doing away with the throttle pot (same design as the Granada one) and throttle quadrant on 3 of the carbs should reduce the width enough. the problem is coupling the spindles.

britishtrident

posted on 9/4/04 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Re using Rover Mems throttle bodies

Solved the problems of pitch spacing and throttle linkage --- very simple mount the throttle bodies so the spindles lie vertical.
The throttle linkage is then a simple conection between the throttle quadrants using rose jointed rods..

The adaptor to a DCOE manifold can then be made from a square chunk of aluminium alloy with the injector pocket machined in it ---
no alloy welding required all machining can be done in a smallish lathe. I seem to remember reading on some web site of machining plumbing fittings being machined to make injector pockets.

Fuel rail made easier because the pitch will be the same as commercial throttle bodies

paul_mcq

posted on 14/4/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
hello ppl. i hae four throttle boddies all there ad i will take 50 quid if any one interested u2u me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.