Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT stepper motor and controller help needed
chrsgrain

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
OT stepper motor and controller help needed

Hi all,

This is very OT, but I don't know where to start with this, and I'm sure some of you guys will be able to help point me in the right direction at least!

I need to make something like this;

Description
Description

The idea of it is to generate shear stress in the pink dishes in the top plastic thing. In order to do this I need to be able to able to vary the rate of acceleration of the stepper motor and to be able to make it start and stop at between 0.5 and 1Hz, this will give the pink dishes a linear acceleration which will mimic the linear acceleration of air over the lining tissue of the lung - and let me look at whether that movement affects people with asthma differently to people without asthma.....

Any ideas?? I can't ask the person who made it, as there is competition even between scientists!

Ta

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Bluemoon

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at something similar for a student MPhys project. I intend to use an Arduio microcontroller and stepper motor driver.

Take a look at:

http://www.arduino.cc/

and for the stepper motor driver:

http://www.oomlout.co.uk/motor-shield-for-ardui no-kit-p-207.html?zenid=hjjbg8pmk98u3je5ta5df27527

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 6/11/09 by Bluemoon]

ceebmoj

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
just a quick thought but at its all rotating on top of the plate unless your samples are all are at fixed radius your results may not be particuly repeatable
chrsgrain

posted on 6/11/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
They will all be at a fixed radius, so that's not a problem. What is a problem is controlling the motor to change acceleration, slew speed and braking rate, and duration of each movement. All the things I'm reading I don't even understand the language!!

Chris

Bluemoon

posted on 6/11/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

The Micro-controller let's you do all that, the Ardunio is designed for Humanity types, you should be able to pick it up very quickly. There is an Ardunio book as well.

All I would do is design a program that made the motor step at the correct rates.

The Arunio boards are cheap, buy one and get playing (won't cost much more than 50-100 quid at most)..

Other options are to by a commercial stepper motor control (that's not cheap).

U2U me if you want any more info. I am in the process of buying the boards myself, as I need to get it working for the new year when the project starts.

Dan

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst it doesn't do exactly what you want (I think!) this device has pretty much all the electronics you need to implement your solution at a great price (don't know what p&p is though).

It uses the Microchip C754 microcontroller, which is cheap version of the PIC16C54 intended for the Chinese market only. The great thing about Microchips PIC controllers is that they are very good at maintaining backward pin compatibility. You could fit a 16F627A, 628A or 648A depending on memory requirements and which is a nice little flash based micro. These can be programmed by numerous different cheap commercial or homebuilt programmers, and there are probably more tutorials and code examples for the PIC on the web than any other micro.

NS Dev

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
do you have any PLC's already laying around from other rigs?

If so, quite a few have add-on stepper motor control cards available, though not for as little as £100!

If memory serves me right, we were using an omron plc with stepper control on a recent machine, though memory might not serve me right!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rf900rush

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Are you aware that simple stepper drivers do not have smooth motion at slow speeds.

A microstep driver may be better.

Will jerky motion be a problem?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike, Thanks Nat,

Problem is, I understood only about a third of each of your posts! This really is not my area of expertise, never done any electronic stuff at all... I may have found something that will do the job, but I'm not sure...

Stepper motor thingy

What do you think? Can get it for £165, which looks almost too good to be true, the motor might not be up to much, and I can't find any more about it than what is on that page...

CHris

ETS - yes jerky movement will be a problem, I need smooth acceleration and deceleration to give a shear stress

[Edited on 6/11/09 by chrsgrain]

NS Dev

posted on 6/11/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty vague on all this stuff as I used to do the mechanical bits and a colleague the electronics, though I did have a basic understanding........

We certainly never used any cheap servo controllers, but then we were building production machines, so different ballgame

The later PLC's we were using were Omron Sysmac CJ1 units, and a trawl on their website yields this:

omron axis controller

we would use one of those modules attached to a sysmac CJ1 PLC unit and power supply, and which would then allow programming of accelerations, decelerations etc etc to whatever you required using omron PLC ladder logic programming, which is pretty easy to do if you have some programming experience.

A fairly cheap servo motor would then be able to drive your arrangement.

PS you're looking at a lot of money for these bits new, but a trawl on ebay throws up a used sysmac or two!

[Edited on 6/11/09 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Stepper motor thingy

What do you think? Can get it for £165, which looks almost too good to be true, the motor might not be up to much, and I can't find any more about it than what is on that page...

CHris

ETS - yes jerky movement will be a problem, I need smooth acceleration and deceleration to give a shear stress

One thing I don't think you've mentioned is whether this needs to be a standalone device (i.e. you switch it on and it runs through a pre-determined cycle of acceleration and braking), or whether you are intending to control it from something else (e.g. PC)?

The Luminary Micro kit looks like a nice system, but seems to be very limited as a standalone solution out of the box; you can switch it into position mode and control the position of the stepper from a pot, or control the speed and direction of the stepper in a different mode. Most of the features require you to connect the board to a PC running the supplied GUI software.

However, if you do need a standalone solution then since all the source code is supplied and has been designed to be integrated into other applications, it wouldn't be a big job to customise the firmware (with some software experience...).

Stepper motors by their very nature turn in discrete steps which can cause vibration, but this can be managed in most cases.

If you gear down the stepper, provide a resilient drive system (e.g. toothed rubber belt), and ensure the output is loaded by some mass then vibration will be minimised. In addition, you can use "microstepping" (supported by the Luminary kit) which divides step into multiple smaller steps by modulating the drive waveforms, this also gives smoother torque at lower speeds where vibration is more likely to cause problems.

chrsgrain

posted on 7/11/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that - it can be either stand alone, or we have a PC close to the incubator the whole thing needs to be in. You sound like you know what you're doing with this lot!

Chris

02GF74

posted on 7/11/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
this can be done using stepper motor whose movement can be controlled quite accurately.

if you are less stringent on your requirements, how about a car wiper motor? may need some electronics to accelerate/decellerate smootly.

... but that may be achievre by mechanical means,

[Edited on 7/11/09 by 02GF74]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.