Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear "Geoff" roadworthyness?
smart51

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Top Gear "Geoff" roadworthyness?

I can't believe no-one has started a thread on this yet, so I will. I know they used a TVR chassis to get around IVA (did anyone say side impact protection?) but surely "Geoff" cannot have been roadworthy. They got an MOT on all those sharp edges?

Genuinely funny though

[Edited on 23-11-2009 by smart51]

Steve G

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
MOT's dont check for sharp edges!! They took it to MIRA and it "passed" there - what more do you want? LOL

Havent laughed out loud at a tv programme in ages. TG gets more and more stupid by the week but is better for it.

[Edited on 23/11/09 by Steve G]

vinny1275

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I mentioned to Swmbo about how there didn't seem to be any side impact protection on the chassis! Was hilarious, but I don't know how they don't get pulled over - it was the same with the boats and chop-top espace I think tho - there must be some way of getting around some of it. Their Limos had to be SVA'd tho, I remember that.....

cd.thomson

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
could they have been registered as "floats"? Geoff certainly looked like one!

Craig

AdamR

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Gotta say that I found the whole thing completely stupid and irritating. There has been some incredible humor/films/challenges/races etc on Top Gear over the years but this predictable drivel proves they have just about run out of inspiration.

If they had turned down the slapstick-act-like-dumb-idiots knob just a little then it could have been a good item.

tegwin

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
Gotta say that I found the whole thing completely stupid and irritating. There has been some incredible humor/films/challenges/races etc on Top Gear over the years but this predictable drivel proves they have just about run out of inspiration.

If they had turned down the slapstick-act-like-dumb-idiots knob just a little then it could have been a good item.

Its an entertainment program....if you dont like.. dont watch it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
MOT's dont check for sharp edges!!

A car will fail an MOT if it has sharp edges exposed from e.g. rusty bodywork.

oadamo

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
anyone got a link to a vid i missed it
adam

scootz

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I would say that the whole thing was just one continuous rolling traffic offence!

Taking it on the dual carriage-way knowing full well the impact it would have on traffic was a cut and dried dangerous driving charge. I can only assume they had asked for the BiB's permission and were suitably accompanied.

I thought it was one of the most desperate pieces on TG yet (but not quite as desperate as Hammonds hair... WTF!?).

I only watch it to see what gems James May comes out with now!

It's Evolution Baby!

JoelP

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
James May definately got the biggest cheer at top gear live. The others are too annoying.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

oadamo

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
found it how did they gat around useing the milk floats reg and that car.
adam

[Edited on 23/11/09 by oadamo]

carpmart

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
TG is all getting a bit yawn inducing now!

Stupid stunts, poor presenting and next to no real content, but its like a car crash, you have to look!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

UncleFista

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Well, bollox to you all I love it

If I want car consumer advice I'll watch Watchdog or Fifth Gear, for entertainment I'll watch Top Gear.

AFAIC it gets funnier every series

If it bothers you that much, switch off the TV ! If you search the torrent sites there are some old TG episodes available, you know, the ones with Angela Ripon and Noel Edmonds extolling the virtues of wind-up windows and wing mirrors I know which incarnation I prefer.

[Edited on 23/11/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/11/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
anyone got a link to a vid i missed it
adam

look on I player its bound to be up by this afternoon

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/11/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
So they have cheesed the morris owners club off....and had a good go at the TVR Oc as well.

Its all in good fun......fook life is too bloody serious as it is.

Rosco

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
They came dangerously close to talking about kit cars. Wasn't that a GTM Libra they showed outside the 'TG Technology Centre', and it looked like the chassis of a kit car in the back of the workshop - maybe a Ginetta?
02GF74

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
TG is all getting a bit yawn inducing now!

Stupid stunts, poor presenting and next to no real content, but its like a car crash, you have to look!

mindless idiotic bolx but entertaining - but still a shiny star amdist the other idiotic get-me-out-of-x-factor-dancing-on- britains-got-no-big-brother bolox.

I seem to recall is was more of a car consumer programme that would evaluate cars that joe public could afford and inform of us what is new in the motor industry, sadly none of that goes on anymore but self indugence and commenting how small the little guy is.

TimC

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I must say I was very frustrated by TG about a year ago; annoyed that a car program was being 'ruined' by silly stunts.

At some stage I had a kind of epiphany and chilled out about it. I laughed a lot last night. I now realise that proper information on fast cars comes from EVO or other sources and that TG is just a laugh. "Star in a....." bores the life out of me as do some of the other features but 'Geoff' was FUNNY.

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Projecting edges do come under MOT regs under condition of vehicle --- but it is basic commonsense rules that apply ie no sharp edges that could catch on somebodies clothing.

It is deliberately worded a bit ambiguously to allow for all the nasty sharpbits on some very old vehicles.

Toltec

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco
They came dangerously close to talking about kit cars. Wasn't that a GTM Libra they showed outside the 'TG Technology Centre', and it looked like the chassis of a kit car in the back of the workshop - maybe a Ginetta?

According to this post on PH there will be a kit car on TG next Sunday.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

but not quite as desperate as Hammonds hair... WTF!?

Heh, my wife even commented that the scruffy sod should get a haircut!

I did think that the £5k mentioned for an extremely battered Chimaera was a bit on the steep side, you can get quite usable examples for not much more.

hoots_min

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
funny - yes. but why couldn't they have just used the chimaera body, spent a bit of cash getting that fixed up and take the big engine lump out and fit a couple of electric motors. Stick all the batteries up front to give similar weight distribution, still got a boot and best of all: no where for Hammond to sit with his all too familiar reactions and captions.

Top Gear has started to look all a bit staged - Geoff rolling down the hill, pushed back 'into' the fans - but can't dispute that it was laugh out loud funny.

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

blakep82

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
if you don't like TG, you know what to do...

Description
Description

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoots_min
Top Gear has started to look all a bit staged

name a comedy program that isn't though lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

D Beddows

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
It is funny...... and I do think the lighthearted/comedy approach is excellent - but it is getting to be about the time for some new ideas.......It has made James May a star which is a good thing as his Toy Story programs are excellent - but Top Gear just keep doing the same sketches over and over which is not such a good thing.....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.