Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: no rear view mirror?
scotty g

posted on 17/1/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
no rear view mirror?

I was thinking the other day about poeple building big mid engined cars like Lambo's, if they don't have a rear view apart from the sides how do they get round the IVA rear view regs?
Bluemoon

posted on 17/1/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know but Vans pass...

Dan

DRC INDY 7

posted on 17/1/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can get round it if the 2 mirrors have the field of view required to past the test

only the 2 outer mirrors reqiured for the mot test

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

loggyboy

posted on 17/1/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
IVA requirements -

1. The vehicle must have an offside exterior mirror fitted.
2. An interior mirror must be fitted, (see note 3)
3. The vehicle must have an nearside exterior mirror fitted (if the interior rear view mirror gives no view to the rear or the rear window is less than 70% light transmittance) (see note 3 & 5)

Note 3: The interior mirror must be positioned as far as is practical to afford the best possible view to the rear, if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

Note 5: If the vehicle has a rear view window fitted which is less then 70% light transmittance (marked with a V) a nearside exterior mirror is required.

So you cant just fit an nearside mirror, it needs to be that if an interior mirror was fitted it wouldnt work.

[Edited on 17/1/10 by loggyboy]

adithorp

posted on 17/1/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

Not quite right. For MOT you require the off-side mirror and either a centre or a nearside one. All fitted mirrors must be good. ie even if you have a o/s and interior you won't pass with the n/s one broken, but would if it wasn't fitted.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DRC INDY 7

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

Not quite right. For MOT you require the off-side mirror and either a centre or a nearside one. All fitted mirrors must be good. ie even if you have a o/s and interior you won't pass with the n/s one broken, but would if it wasn't fitted.

I believe that is what i have just said only the 2 outer mirrors needed for the mot test if the interior mirror is not fitted as per question 1 at the start of this thread
read the mot manual

a damaged non obligatory mirror ie passenger or interior mirror is a non componant related adviosry only never been a fail

[Edited on 1/18/2010 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

scotty g

posted on 18/1/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not worth an argumaent guys but interesting anyway.
The reason i was interested was, if a rear view mirror WAS required for IVA but rear visibility was so poor as to make it pointless then what about an LCD screen showing a rear view from a small camera fitted to the back of the car like on the Nissan Primera when you use reverse, but as i now know that the rear view mirror is not even needed then its all fairly redundant anyway.
cheers.

Bluemoon

posted on 20/1/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
LCD is not allowed when driving forward I believe (not sure why though) so that will not count..

Dan

aitch

posted on 20/1/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
LCD is not allowed when driving forward I believe (not sure why though) so that will not count..

Dan

bugger i was thinking o using cameras and lcd screens in place of all three mirrors

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotty g

posted on 22/1/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about that one, i drive a bus for a living and all our new ones have an LCD screen instead of the old fashioned periscopes for seeing upstairs, we can also change the view to any one of the 12 cameras on board, great for being pervy!
iank

posted on 22/1/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
The LCD when driving forward comment is a miss quote of the requirement in the IVA manual. Any TV/DVD functionality must be disabled while the car is moving. But it's pretty clear that rear view camera systems, satnav and that iDrive thing BMW's have are legit.

Here's the exact wording (page 253 of the July version of the IVA manual in the "General Construction" section.

quote:

Note 1: A television monitor which can be seen from the driving position, is only acceptable if it is incapable of
showing normal TV DVD when the vehicle is in motion or it only provides visibility to the rear of the vehicle, a navigation
map, vehicle specific information or a combination of these
items.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coyoteboy

posted on 27/10/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone tried to pass a car with LCD "mirrors" yet? Might be worth a call to the relevant authorities as it would save a lot of trouble I guess, and many cars include them these days for rear view (if not for wing mirrors)? LCD/Camera arrangements could technically be a better solution providing greater visibility and vision in the dark too after all. I'm guessing they'll struggle with specifying a minimum performance though.

[Edited on 27/10/11 by coyoteboy]

coyoteboy

posted on 31/10/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
VOSA kindly confirm that legally you are required to use mirrors, not cameras at present. You can have cameras as well, but you still need the mirrors. Not just to pass the IVA, but C&U too IIRC.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.