Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spyware Detection
Hellfire

posted on 6/5/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Spyware Detection

Curious as to the cr*p on my machine I downloaded a free spyware detector. Despite having updated software to detect viruses/trojans I had 587 different spyware contaminations on my machine. I got BPS Spyware Remover to find them and kill them - rather worrying, but now no more annoying pop-up's!!!!

Benzine

posted on 6/5/04 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
on my last scan i found 44. I told my friend to scan his and he found 2305!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Good link hellfire, just done mine & found 320.

i]Originally posted by Hellfire
Curious as to the cr*p on my machine I downloaded a free spyware detector. Despite having updated software to detect viruses/trojans I had 587 different spyware contaminations on my machine. I got BPS Spyware Remover to find them and kill them - rather worrying, but now no more annoying pop-up's!!!!

DaveFJ

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Another good free one is Ad-Aware

it can be worth while running both as there are somethings that will not be detectec by one but will by the other

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've just found 46 - one of which was from this LocostBuilders web site!

(I guess that this is the cookie that keeps track of logins and messages read)

Am I right, ChrisW?

David

ned

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
you say spyware, but i bet a lot of the stuff is genuine/legitimate/not going to cause you any problems or steal any personal data. As mentinoed a lot of them are probably just cookies for websites.

imho as an IT guy, people that are silly enough to run dodgy attachments they don't know the origin of deserve all they get!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 6/5/04 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ned is right, a lot of programs that search for spyware/adware often pick out cookies. For instance...i have been on this websie for 30mins this morning...browser buddie tells me it has allowed 404 cookies form this site...and blocked 406 indirect cookies.

Cookies arent as bad as everyone makes out really, most of them will do no harm!

Spyware and adware however is a different story...adware being incredibly annoying creating the stupid pop ups. And spyware being one that reports your internet usage to whoever.

Run ad-aware or hijack-this once a week if you are paranoid...or once a month and you arent likely to have any problems. And as Ned says...dont open dodgy attachments on emails...or ones that you get in pop up windows on the net!

Cheers for the links Hellfire...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 6/5/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Tracking cookies.

A lot of these are in your temp internet files along with data miners.They are used to let websites know your browsing preferences. Adaware seems to find a lot of them every time I scan.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 6/5/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
imho as an IT guy, people that are silly enough to run dodgy attachments they don't know the origin of deserve all they get!

Hmmm, I would say that's a little brutal, especially given that you can be infected by highly malicious adware simply by not being absolutely bang up to date on your service pack. Coolwebsearch is a particularly nasty piece of adware that you can get simply by visiting the wrong website without Windows XP service pack 1a (not just 1, that won't do). And lets face it, downloading a 100mb+ service pack on dialup simply isn't feasable for a lot of people.

Kingr

Hellfire

posted on 6/5/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
originally quoted by ned

Oooh ned - if I didn't know you better

Most of the spyware on my PC came from downloads of music (which I have since gone out and bought!) which contained small applets, I know it's irresponsible and blah blah... but have you heard the force-fed regurgitated '80's sh*te in the charts lately! It's enough to drive you bl**dy mad! Maybe I'm getting old...

britishtrident

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yep you found the the spyware removal tool that is just a spam magnet --- the original version worked and it got good reviews in mags then they turned it into a spam magnet unless you buy the paid version.

Clearing it out ain't easy -- first before you do anything if you have a version of windows with system restore turn it off.
Identify and terminate the running process and delete the file. Windows own task manager won't tell you much I use freeware programs called startup.exe from http://user.mc.net/lindy/apps.htm and TaskManager from www.securitysoftware.cc .

Then run Ad-aware or Bazooka these should find the offending item but won't stop it re-installing you need Hi-jack this to identify clear out any malevolent registry entries.

Test the system by restarting a couple of times then do another sweep -- if clear turn system restore back on.
Do regualar Ad-Aware and Hijack-This sweeps.

Finally install a decent free AV program (AVG works well) a free firewall (Kerio), if you want extra protection use a Proxymitron as a provy server running as localhost.

[Edited on 6/5/04 by britishtrident]

Hellfire

posted on 6/5/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've placed a copy of HijackThis for download on our website (HERE) go to "Otherbits/Technical"

flak monkey

posted on 6/5/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Seems quite a popular program that had it for ages....

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi-jack is a great tool but because it needs the user to have some knowledge of what should be running it is ideally installed on top of a fresh windows install and then run at fairly regular intervals.

Another freeware worth using is Avant browser --- really just a a much improved web browser running on the standard Internet Explorer engine but has all sort of features to block pop ups and control cookies and more. It runs on most windows version except it won't run on some NT4 computers.

Here is my current list of must haves for any Windows user

Avant Browser
Kerio Personal Firewall or Tiny Personal Firewall
AVG -- great free anti-virus for personal use
K9 --- the very best Spam block and its free
Startup.exe -- lets you know whats actually starting at windows startup.
Karens Registry Pruner ---- exactly what is says on the label.
Ad-Aware

Other useful stuff
Mozilla or Mozilla Fire Bird
Lansuite 602
Proxymitron
Pop Tray

[Edited on 7/5/04 by britishtrident]

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the link hellfire, it said i had 600 odd, only 20 or so were real spy/ad ware, but best to be rid of it all. Most cookies of 'good' sites will be back in days anyway, so no harm done cept a few mins wasted logging in and finding customer numbers etc... all good. id been trying to get rid of a few specific ones for ages now, finally a result!!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.