Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is Sharm El Sheikh Like?
Surrey Dave

posted on 14/4/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
What is Sharm El Sheikh Like?

Who's been there?

Seems to have good kart track , and desert quadbiking.

koiking125

posted on 14/4/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
We went last year, had a great time. Hotel fantastic, beach right on the doorstep.

Take some snorkling gear, the fish are awsome, the further you go out the better.

No comment on the go karts or quads as didnt get out much but some people we met went quading and had a great day.

Definitely warmer than here

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

Coopz

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Went there this year, was not really what i expected be very careful what you eat and drink there don't shake peoples hands stuff like that. I got an upset stomach when I was out there which wasnt great! The kart track looked brilliant unfortunately I didnt get on there.
FrankP

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
it can depend on what you wnat to do and if you are a couple or a family.

I woudn't be happy about taking my young kids to nama bay but its great for a good night out...

skinned knuckles

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
i love the place but then i am a diver so i'm biased.

choose food and drink carefully. make sure any water you buy is served from a bottle and that you open the bottle to make sure that the seal was intact. dont have ice in your drinks. dont eat salad as it is often washed in tap water and wash your hands at every oportunity.

i have a friendly GP that gives me antibiotics before i go and i take 1 every morning just to stop any nasties taking hold. you can buy them over the internet and they are called kefalexin (not too sure of spelling)

stick to these rules and you should be ok which will leave you with the ability to enjoy what could be the best holiday you'll ever have. beautiful weather, excellent coastline and a friendly local population.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

mad4x4

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Went there this year, was not really what i expected be very careful what you eat and drink there don't shake peoples hands stuff like that. I got an upset stomach when I was out there which wasnt great! The kart track looked brilliant unfortunately I didnt get on there.

I was the same got Gastro-entroitus and spent 3 days in BED. We were out beyone soho square. Middle of no where - taxis every where and they rip you off.

Never saw a cart trak.

Won;t go back..... were off to turkey again this year.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

russbost

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Go to an AI resort & only go "off campus" with a guide etc. The fish are fantastic, you can literally walk into the water & they are all around you, we saw eels, turtles & some truly monster fish! Scuba is even better if you can do it!
Didn't try the karts or quads as went just after the bombing there (several years ago) & all that stuff was closed up - out of bounds!
Value for money couldn't be beaten then, doubt it can now.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
As above... take plenty of immodium with you as there's a high possibility of getting the squits.

I'd also agree that staying on resort is a good idea!

It's Evolution Baby!

TimC

posted on 14/4/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was there in October. To be honest it wasn't the best holiday I've ever had. However, it wasn't the most expensive either. Highlights were the snorkeling - did both 'usual' boat trips and loved it and also the day trip to Cairo which is mind-blowing on a lot of fronts. Long day though.

In terms of food, meh - but I'm a real foody so I've been a bit spoilt. If you are venturing away from AI for the night, the Chinese on top of the little shopping mall is really good. President Blair visited several years on the trot apparently.

Oh, one other thing. Expect to become racist - the Russians are the most rude and ignorant bunch I've ever encountered!

scootz

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Oh, one other thing. Expect to become racist - the Russians are the most rude and ignorant bunch I've ever encountered!

Surely not as rude and ignorant as the contingent of young-adults we send over to the Greeks and Spanish each summer!

It's Evolution Baby!

westf27

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I was there in October. To be honest it wasn't the best holiday I've ever had. However, it wasn't the most expensive either. Highlights were the snorkeling - did both 'usual' boat trips and loved it and also the day trip to Cairo which is mind-blowing on a lot of fronts. Long day though.

so Blair had the squits several years running

In terms of food, meh - but I'm a real foody so I've been a bit spoilt. If you are venturing away from AI for the night, the Chinese on top of the little shopping mall is really good. President Blair visited several years on the trot apparently.

[Edited on 14/4/2010 by westf27]

so Blair had the squits several years running

[Edited on 14/4/2010 by westf27]

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Abbreviations?

quote:

In terms of food, meh

quote:

Go to an AI resort & only go "off campus" with a guide etc.

Is meh a typo or abbreviation?

AI = All Inclusive?!?

Looking at going to Jaz Mirabel Beach , whic appears to be about as north as you can go

quote:

I woudn't be happy about taking my young kids to nama bay but its great for a good night out...

I'm a bit green what happens in naama bay

Hellfire

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
We went there last year and stayed at The Holiday Village Red Sea. Wasn't the cheapest holiday we've had but definitely the best!! . We ate what we wanted including loads of salad and fish and drank loads of drinks with ice in and none of us had an upset stomach the whole time we were there.

We were advised to take hand gel due to Egyptian money being dirty but found we didn't need it because the notes and coins were clean and stopped using the gel after the first couple of days.

Maybe we were lucky in our choice of holiday village but I'd definitely recommend it. Get a flight to Giza to see the pyramids if your budget will stretch that far.

Phil

Jon Ison

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
We stayed in holiday village last year too, upgraded to a swim up room, very nice, clean, great service. What time of year was you there ?

Our 1st time in Egypt, had a good holiday would recommend and definitely not put anyone off going there but we have had better elsewhere.

Went on quads in desert that was very good, got some piccys somewhere, not a hint of squats, food was ok sea and snorkeling great, caused a bit of a fight between two taxi drivers whilst haggling price we just walked away laughing whilst they almost came to blows over us.

Will grab photo card with quad run on.

Hellfire

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Jon, we were there 7th to 21st August 2009.

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
How Hot :-))

Bit of a stupid question but , just how hot was it in August? , we are looking at going in June /July, I have visions of being incapacitated with the heat, and having to hide in the shade or room , only going out in the morning and late afternoon, am I being dramatic
Hellfire

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Bit of a stupid question but , just how hot was it in August? , we are looking at going in June /July, I have visions of being incapacitated with the heat, and having to hide in the shade or room , only going out in the morning and late afternoon, am I being dramatic

Temperature was in the low to mid forties most days but the relative humidity is quite low, so it's not sticky and uncomfortable, just HOT. Our kids spent most of their time in the pools and loved it. All buildings in the holiday village were air conditioned including bars and restaurants, so nice and cool at meal times.......

Phil

Jon Ison

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
We where there late June, as Phil says temps are manageable, the sea is like stepping into a warm bath, air conditioning fine and with plenty of ice cream on tap I did ok.

Phil you probably saw but would not have noted the significance "BEX 2009" in pebbles off the right hand side of the pier, took ages that, did you get on the 4 poster hammocks ?

Took this photo whilst dossing on the 4 poster hammocks

Description
Description

The bird took this one of us on the hammocks......

Description
Description

And here's what its like out on the quads........

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 14/4/10 by Jon Ison]

Hellfire

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I do actually recall seeing 'BEX 2009' written in pebbles in the sea!!

Them damn arabian ducks get everywhere.....

Phil

[img][/img]

mazsparks

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent place to go, diving is superb and the quadbiking was quite an experience.
We did a tour out to the bedoiun tribes and had a cup of char .

3 out of 6 of our party were very unwell, be sure to drink only bottled water and avoid exotic foods.

We went about 6 years ago and the egyptians were very friendly, i wouldnt know what the recent diplomacy is like but they were extremely nice at that time.

Don't step off the plane without sun tan lotion on.
Me and a friend were burnt badly on the first evening with little exposure.
Avoid the midday sun as well.

Overall would thouroughly recommend it, you just need to take care with certain things.
Hope you enjoy it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.