Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FAO experienced parents - Non desolving, desolvable stiches Question
Agriv8

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
FAO experienced parents - Non desolving, desolvable stiches Question

Short Version of a long story little lad ( 2.5 years old ) had quite a few desolvable stiches in his hand last Tuesday at BRI in Bradford after referal from Airedale. ( re-arange glass floor table knock 'not listening to granma when she says - stand still and dont move' )

Anyway BRI Intructions were that they were disolvable and to unwrap afeter a week and all should be fine.

so took the bandages off this eve and discovered some very nice needle work but the stiches very much still there, tried VERY gently rubbing them and seem very much still atached.

I have left a message for comunity child nurse and if I get no response will call ward 2 ( childrens ward ) at BRI dinner time tomorow.

The wound is closed very nicely and dry so have re-dresed with sterile dressing and bandaged it back up.
But asking all you 'experinced Parents' If i should be collecting him from nursary tomorow dinner and getting him back to BRI or give it a few more days.

jb_stiches
jb_stiches

Regards

The Agriv8's

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

MakeEverything

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, poor little man.

They dont look like dissolvable stitches as they are normally black. The ones he has look like an old shoe lace!!

I think you might need to revisit the hospital to get them removed.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't water help them disolve? gently rub with a wet cloth?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

contaminated

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
They can take a while to dissolve, plus they only dissolve completely on the inside and not on the outside due to contact with body fluids. Doesn't look like there is any infection, so waiting a few days should be fine. That said, take littlun in if you're worried.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

gavin174

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I am no expert..

but everytime i have had disolvable stitches they have been black, and appear to be alot thinner than those...

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

contaminated

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

They dont look like dissolvable stitches as they are normally black.

I think the colour can vary, but I would have said that they were usually white funnily enough.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

myke pocock

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Any questions ?, go back. They are the experts.
jacko

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had de solvable stitches after my hernia op but they did not desolve
So i would take him back for a check up

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bumble

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
As you say the stictches look fine and healing nicely...no sign of infection. If worried pop along to your GP or Nurse and get them checked out. They can take a while to dissolve though if it's any comfort.
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
too hard to say what kind of suture they are but i can say that they look ready to come out whatever kind they are.

it isn't uncommon for the wrong kind of suture to be put in by maistake(happened to me twice now, but i just take them out myself) so i'd take the little fella to the G.P. for a check and peobable removal (most G.P's have a nurse on site that will do this without an appointment if you are willing to wait for a fre slot)

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

daniel mason

posted on 4/5/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
when i went in to get the 35 stiches removed from my hand after an accident with a window,i got home and discovered they had left 5 stitches still in my hand! i took them out myself also, but obviously would not recommend doing this with your lad! whatever happens i hope it gets sorted easily and that he is ok

tomprescott

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whenever I've had dissolve stitches (bout 6 times from split eyebrows, cut arms and other various rugby injuries) they've been skinnier than that and black. Usually pick them out after a day or two, left them in once for three weeks and they didn't fully dissolve so picked them out again. That said, when I soaked them for half an hour plus in a really hot bath they did seem to soften up a bit so maybe they just needed more time in hot baths (I usually have cold showers) but might be a bit much for a little kid, I'd suggest as everyone else has taking him back if you have any concerns - get a refund

At least he *might* have a cool scar to show off to his friends!

A bird in the hand....

BenB

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Dissolving stitches do take a while to dissolve and colours no help- you can get undyed in most stitch types. They rely on the immune system attacking the stitch. Vicryl takes about 21 days to dissolve fully, Vicryl rapide takes less than a week. Depends what they used....

Those stitches don't look like they've been in too long (you start getting inflammation around the puncture wounds). Best option would be to leave it some time yet.

Fozzie

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Poor little chap ...

Had this quite a few times with my crew....as others have said, the wound looks good, so no worry there... I would be inclined to pop him down the the gp practice, and let the nurse have a look as to whether they are dissolving stitches or not and of course, to reassure you

Fozzie

Edit to add... Ben replied whilst I was composing...so ignore my suggestions please

[Edited on 4-5-10 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Agriv8

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Peeps.

Should add he in no distress with the wound just get upset about returning to hospital

Unfortunatly his first visit involves him being starved (no solids or fluids from 8 pm Monday until op which was due to be first thing Tuesday but due to an admin mix up then a couple of emergencied he was not operated on until 15:30 !! )Tuesday afternoon so nearly 19.5 hours before he was allowed fluids. (Pore dot was beside himself )

unfortunatly a 2.5 year old is not old enough to undersatnd that he can't drink because he is waitng for an operation.

Anyhow I will keep trying the Comunity nurse tomorow and if I get no joy will book him into the local doctors.

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dusty

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Vicryl/Dexon will only be 'dissolving' under the skin surface. Hot soaks will not help and may upset the wound healing. Leave alone as they look fine at the moment. Most minor wounds in healthy young people in normal environments are best left uncovered at this stage. There will be a reaction going on under the skin which can make them a little more painful to pull out. Hospital attendance will remind him of them being put in. The slight pain of removal might also put him off the GP surgery for the future if done there. Your GP could cut them flush if they catch on things. They may be about to fall of anyway.
I would say leave alone as long as they continue to look as they do in the pic.

mad4x4

posted on 5/5/10 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Poor little chap ...

Had this quite a few times with my crew....as others have said, the wound looks good, so no worry there... I would be inclined to pop him down the the gp practice, and let the nurse have a look as to whether they are dissolving stitches or not and of course, to reassure you

Fozzie

Edit to add... Ben replied whilst I was composing...so ignore my suggestions please

[Edited on 4-5-10 by Fozzie]

A Good GP / GP nurse will remove them but let them know when you make the appointment that wee man needs stiches out.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Agriv8

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
community nurse has made contact,

looking at his case notes they say the stiches could take upto 6 weeeks to desolve.

instuction keep it clean and dry let it 'breath' overnight ok to trim excess stich cord to stop it getting entangled.

check for inflamation / infection every couple of days report back in a week with an update

REgards

Agriv8

edspurrier

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like vicryl rapide which will take a couple of weeks to disolve and drop off. Keep the wound clean and mostly dry for the first couple of weeks and have your GP check the wound if it starts to look red or discharges anything. If they don't drop out they can be removed.
Vindi_andy

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Have had disolving stitches twice.

First time were quite thick and didnt disolve after 6 months had to have them removed surgically.

Second time they were very thin and the inside disolved and the external tails came off after about 2 weeks

Fozzie

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I will be having a load next Wednesday.....don't know whether they will be the ordinary or dissolving variety though....

Fozzie

Agriv8

posted on 5/5/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
ATB and good luck Fozzie.

regards

Agriv8

Fozzie

posted on 5/5/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
ATB and good luck Fozzie.

regards

Agriv8

Thanks Agri....
Fozzie

Fozzie

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
I will be having a load next Wednesday.....don't know whether they will be the ordinary or dissolving variety though....

Fozzie

Well ...it went ok, and the top layer are 'ordinary' ones ...not dissolvables ....a pressure dressing on top.

The stitches are due out 12 days after op ....

How is littl'un doing Agri?

Fozzie

Agriv8

posted on 18/5/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
he is doing well Thanks fozzie,

last 2 wernt falling out so he was asleep and dosed up with calpol the other night ( back teeth giving him jip ) so took the opertunity to *cough* tease *cough* them out.

ATB for a speedy recovery and you not being in too much discomfort.

Keep up the good work keep 'us lot' on the srait and narrow.

regards

Agriv8

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.