Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Household Water Filters. advice needed please

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Household Water Filters. advice needed please

Hi All.

Once again I'd like to tap into the wealth of knowedge on this site please.

The problem.

I live in a very hard water area so I have to replace shower heads every 3 months, shower units every 3 years,
de-scale the kettle every 2 weeks, but worst of all, scum on my tea.

The posible solution.

I can't afford the 5 to 6 hundred pounds for a full blown salts system so I wondered what the cartridge filters are like.
Anyone use them or can offer advice?

I'm thinking of fitting then as in the pic below. (particulate filter, polyphosphate de-scaler and carbon drinking water filter)
These are made by Culligan and sold by Screwfix but I'm open to sugestions. I think I could fit these for £140 ish.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul G

water flow diagram
water flow diagram

nitram38

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
They are really only good for say one tap for drinking water.
The volume of water going through one of those for an entire house will quickly use it up.
The salt system is your best option

DavidW

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
We probably have similar water at out house.

I just ordered a water softner from Plumbworld which will solve the problem all around the house.

At our last house I installed a Brita water filter tap (charchoal filter I think) which helped with the nastry tasting tea with scum on top problem.

David

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget you need to protect the feed serving the hot water side otherwise you will build up limescale inside your cylinder and boiler, it is the hot water that gets effected most.

Also you need to protect your white goods - washing machine, dishwashers etc

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

BenB

posted on 17/5/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Dont forget you need to protect the feed serving the hot water side otherwise you will build up limescale inside your cylinder and boiler, it is the hot water that gets effected most.

Also you need to protect your white goods - washing machine, dishwashers etc

What you mean those magnetic descalers don't do anything?

tegwin

posted on 17/5/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think the biggest issue with trying to control the scale in an entire house is making sure you can still get a good flow rate... no use only being able to draw off a few litres an hour if you want to shower/washingmachine etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MkIndy7

posted on 17/5/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea how good these are, if they work or might as well be Snake Oil but there only on offer until tomorrow!

Maplin Descaler

The Plumbing company I work for has just fitted something similar to a Commercial Business at the request of the Catering contractors for the dishwashers so they may be some use.

BenB

posted on 17/5/10 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
I have no idea how good these are, if they work or might as well be Snake Oil but there only on offer until tomorrow!

Maplin Descaler

The Plumbing company I work for has just fitted something similar to a Commercial Business at the request of the Catering contractors for the dishwashers so they may be some use.

Yeh they're magic You wonder why anyone bothers with those expensive water softeners I think it's a bit of emporer's new clothes in plumbing form..... All this cobblers about electromagnetic (whether permanent or electric) fields effecting water softness is quite amusing. Still, boiler companies won't repair under warranty unless some kind of protection is fitted and seeing as there is no evidence these don't work they pay out when a boiler protected by it gets furred up....

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Looks like I might go for just the drinking water tap then.
At least I'll be able to have a decent cuppa while I replace the shower.

As a matter of interest, what's the running cost of a salt system?

Cheers
Paul G

p.s. Fancy the BBQ meet David?

Grimsdale

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
careful with the salt systems, they can cause corrosion of your copper pipework as the protective patina on the inside of the pipework relies on there being calcium carbonate in the water. A 50% mix of softened and hard water would stop excessive furring and eliminate the rsik of corrosion, plus might save you some money in salt!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.