MG Ads

Quite like that one!

flak monkey

posted on 22/5/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MK9R

posted on 22/5/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
How ever much Max power plastic is added to one of those, its still just a polsihed turd!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 23/5/04 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
ill admit that the bodywork is crap, the interior is worse but if you ever had a ride in a ZR then you find out that the engine is good the suspension is even better. I remember a magazine article where they said that the suspension design was awesome. In that for the amount of money spent they had a system that worked better than most competing companies. whether thats luck or skill it still produces a well handling car (all IMHO)
Simon

posted on 23/5/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
"How ever much Max power plastic is added to one of those, its still just a polsihed turd!!!"

Austen,

Not a fan of British engineering then?

Ever had a Rover. Suggest you try before making comments like that!

Suppose you are a driver of a german car

ATB

Simon

Browser

posted on 24/5/04 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
WHen I win the lottery I want one of these
MG Xpower ZT385

Or if they aren't going to be available for years these
MG ZT 260 V8

[Edited on 24/5/04 by Browser]

MK9R

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
"How ever much Max power plastic is added to one of those, its still just a polsihed turd!!!"

Austen,

ATB

Simon

I actually drive a Jap car

Can't be bothered to go into detail, but i actually work in the automotive industry and have worked in lots of different countries with many different nationalities. In general, the british engineers are the best, but where it all goes wrong with british built cars is the attitude of the the actuall operator putting the car together, the end result is inconsistant quality.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Simon, whats with the continual anti german thing?

I have had (as I mentioned in lots of previous posts) loads of brit cars (rovers and previous incarnations) but the current crop, when it came to co cars, were not any where near.

We thought of a rover 25 'boy racer' for 10k for my wife, but the megane was much better equiped.

I could have considered a 75 for my current car, but even tho im building a retro replica, I dont want one for my daily driver. Plus, rovers depreciate like crap (expensive to lease) and are not tax fiendly (emissions).

Beemers with 140k miles on em go for 7k plus on ebay - its for a reason - people like them and they depreciate slowly.

Plus - a beemer is only 2k or so more than a 75 - and when you sell it it will be worth half of the beemers retained value if you are lucky.

market forces are based on desirability. The rover name used to be something to aspire to. Now it launches indian cars with a rover badge on. Did we 'british engineer' the badge - or is that made in HK too.....

The days for brand loyalty are over - cos even rover is exporting jobs by doing this...so whats the problem with buying german?

atb

steve

PS - city rover = indian
rover 25 = british car
rover 45 = honda based
rover 75 = british car made under german direction

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Austen,

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 24/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

mackie

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Almost the entire rover lineup does consist of polished turds but the ZT/75 aint one.
I'd love a ZT260 if it made any sense whatsoever, but frankly for that money I'd buy a second hand BMW M5 because it's frankly in a different league again.
Shame really.

(frankly)

[Edited on 24/5/04 by mackie]

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I've seen a 75 with a V8 badge on it - or were my eyes deceiving me?

The few factors holding me back on a 75 was as already stated "Emissions", "Poor Residuals", "Inconsistant build quality" and my Japanese Companies insistance I get a Japanese Car!!! But IMHO they are a fine looking car!

[Edited on 24-5-04 by Hellfire]

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
MG do a V8 75...heres what they say about it:

'Step into the awesome V8 rear wheel drive 260, and 60 mph flies by in a mere 6.2 seconds....'

Rear wheel drive too...

Heres the specs:
MG ZT 260
4.6 litre V8 engine
Maximum power (kW/Ps) 191/260@5000 rpm
Maximum torque (Nm) 410@4000 rpm
0-60 mph 6.2 seconds
30-50 mph (4th gear) 5.5 seconds
50-70 mph (4th gear) 5.5 seconds
Maximum speed 155 mph
CO2 (g/km) 314

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 24/5/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have worked for companies in the past that had the stupid rule of no japanese cars. why?

You could have a jap car if its made in UK - so some nissan were ok, but not others!

My current company has more 'standard' rules.

No sports cars, no two doors, no soft tops.

And anything else they might dislike - I dunno if summat like a pt cruiser would get the nod....

atb

steve

ps - it dont help when the MD of a 50m company drives a 2 litre Y reg mondeo ghia estate! I have a better car than he does.

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

The few factors holding me back on a 75 was as already stated "Emissions", "Poor Residuals", "Inconsistant build quality" and my Japanese Companies insistance I get a Japanese Car!!! But IMHO they are a fine looking car!

Noodle

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Sometime about 14-15 months ago, I drove past my mates house on the way to the pub. Under the back of a 75 MG version I noticed a diff. Cue bigmouth in pub "Hey mate! I've just seen a diff under the back of that 75!"
Response: "No you didn't"
Me: "I did; it was an Mg and ..."
Reponse "No you f**king didn't"
Me, slow: "Oh yeah. I saw nothing"

Impressed the hell out of my kids though! My mate actually recommened ditching the Ford V8 for the GM/Holden one. Cheaper and lighter he reckoned, but by then it was too late in the development cycle.

Neil.

p.s. Boring fact no. 7638: The 75 was designed as a rear-driver. BMW took over and smelled competition. 75 became FWD. BMW sell Rover, 75 reverts to RWD. Wouldn't be surprised if its replacement is entirely RWD from inception.

Your sort make me sick

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Through fear of hijacking my own thread...

Upon Co. Car choosing time... my Finance Director almost forced me down the route of Citroen C5 due to brilliant deals at the time! (To cut a long story short!) I eventually ended up with one - some 6 months later and more problems than you could remember, I made a number of websites which were very controversial about the C5. Citroen actually threaten me with court action over (wait for it!) missuse of the Citroen Logo (which I refutued as it was a resemblance!) Eventually they gave me (Co.) all the money back - I then got a Skoda Ovtavia RS. Not one problem in 1 year (and I mean NOT ONE!) until some jerk ran a red light and totalled it. Then the forces came down and stipulated Japanese Cars only!

Fortunately - sports cars and 2 seaters are allowed - my next Co. Car; due just before xmas; is looking more like a Civic R Type every time I look at one. Quite fancy the Cupra 225 too... choices choices!

Simon

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

Relax. I just like to think that people would have a bit of faith in Brit built stuff (even though my current car is french - bought on a whim and regretted ever since )

As for Rover, she who must be obeyed has agreed (in principle) to a ZTV8 next march when the heap is 3 years old.

List price for the basic is £27k. Jamjar (and various UK franchises) are doing them for £21K. Which means I could go for a new one and lose perhaps £10k in three years (bear in mind Jamjar tradein for heap was £5500 (losing me £6000 in two years on a 12000 car) OR go for a year old one for about £15,000

Find me a car that has that pedigree and performance for the money.

Fuel economy is an irrelevance AFAIC - we only do 5500 miles a year.

David,

You can get the ZTV8 as mentioned or (just launched) the 75 V8 - but it's auto only

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 24/5/04 by Simon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.