Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A14 -M11 or cross country route.
paulf

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
A14 -M11 or cross country route.

Im going to the airfield day at North Wield tommorow and will have an early start from Kettering but cant decide if the best way to go is A14- M11 or whether to go cross country A1198- A10-B181 or another route to avoid the morning traffic on the A14 M11.
Is the M11 etc always very slow in the morning as i seem to hear traffic reports about hold ups most days.
Paul

MakeEverything

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Its a crap start time really, but if it were me i would aim to get there about 7/8 and hang around with some breakfast.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

scudderfish

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Go cross country, more fun, more fresh air, less HGV
BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm leaving early cos I've got the pleasures of the M25 and the M11. Joy
jollygreengiant

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I personally would leave before before 07:00hrs. You should then be able to cruise through along the A14 to Brampton and on to the Spittalls junction. From there it should be a relatively easy 70MPH (Average speed cameras) till you get to the M11. This usually flows ok and then pull off at J8 and into the services for a coffee untill continuing down to North Weald.

IF you do become aware of accidents ahead whilst on the A14 there are various cut offs that you can use. IE Kimbolton and the old A45 to St Neots, then on to Caxton Jibbet and down tothe A1198 to Royston then the A505 past Duxford to the M11.
There are also some nice side roads from the Fenstanton area of the A14 (off to the left) that will take you down the side of the A14 bringing you out again nearer to Cambridge.

Oh If I left Rushden at about 07:00 I would normally expect to get to Stansted about an hour and 10 - 20 minutes later. Without having to do silly speeds.

[Edited on 8/7/10 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to decide whether to meet the M11 off the M25 or the Norf Circular. At the time of the morning I'm leaving the NC should be quite clear so it's tempting.... Quick blast past Edmonton SVA centre for old times sake....
whitestu

posted on 8/7/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

At the time of the morning I'm leaving the NC should be quite clear so it's tempting....

There are major roadworks at Bounds Green, which are adding 20-30 mins to normal journey time.

Well worth trying to join the north circular further round if you can.

Stu

BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Aha yes, forgot about them. On my drive to SVA way back when the whole of the NC was closed at Bounds Green. ended up doing a nice little divertion. Wasn't at all stressful Guess it's the M25 then.

It's going to blooming scorchio by the looks of metcheck. 30 degrees... Wow.

yellow melos

posted on 8/7/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Don't for god sake go along the A414 through harlow !!! there are roadworks going up from harlow to M11 roundabout ( this is the turning off the M11 for northweild )

there will also be a bit of traffic comming off at m11 junction .. from northbound should not be too bad.. southbound will be worse.

but it should be clear by about 09:30

fathead

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I 2nd what Jollygreengiant says. I live in Sawtry and use the A14/M11 alot and it is not a problem before 7.30am but after that it can be a royal pain in the backside!
BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well that confirms it. Sparrow fart for me tomorrow.....
norfolkluego

posted on 8/7/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Aha yes, forgot about them. On my drive to SVA way back when the whole of the NC was closed at Bounds Green. ended up doing a nice little divertion. Wasn't at all stressful Guess it's the M25 then.

It's going to blooming scorchio by the looks of metcheck. 30 degrees... Wow.

Have you factored in the resident 130mph wind at North Weald

BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is metcheck doing that again? It does occasionally have hick-ups. I looked up the ski forecast and it had 160+mph winds at Corcheval(sp!) 1650. Which I suspect might be wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.