Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wich engine to choose?
Zoophoria

posted on 31/5/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Wich engine to choose?

I recently posted a thread here about differentials, now, I have a question about engines, my budget is quite limited, so my question is wich engine to choose?
Of course I want loads of power but I can simply not afford a hayabusa engine. Is there any older engines that still produce enough power maybe?

Jon Ison

posted on 31/5/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
tried n trusted Blade.........

nice cheap pre 95 motor, bomb proof in a BEC..............

alister667

posted on 31/5/04 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a blade man myself, although a lot of folks recently are going for the Yamaha R1 engine which apparently isn't far off a 'busa and can be picked up slightly cheaper than a 'blade.
If I was starting a build tomorrow I might well go the R1 route.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bike_power

posted on 31/5/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
If I was starting again I'd probably use an R1 too.
Hellfire

posted on 31/5/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
After installing the 'blade. On the next car I'd like to try something different. Maybe an R1, Blackbird or Busa...

phelpsa

posted on 1/6/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Try oil/air cooled gsxr 1100. Cheap (<£300), more powerful and torquey than blade (later models) very tunable, I have seen a mallock with a new cam, carbs, flywheel, pistons do 190bhp, they are extremely reliable and the '92 model had 135bhp as standard and 90lb/f of torque.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alister667

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Try oil/air cooled gsxr 1100. Cheap (<£300), more powerful and torquey than blade (later models) very tunable, I have seen a mallock with a new cam, carbs, flywheel, pistons do 190bhp, they are extremely reliable and the '92 model had 135bhp as standard and 90lb/f of torque.

Adam

Would it not be a lot heavier than a blade though?
The big thing about a blade is how light the whole package is. Mind you I know sod all about GSXR1100s!!!

phelpsa

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
No, it is about the same because it is air/oil cooled. It means you are not carrying around another couple of kilograms of water/antifreeze and a radiator. Even if you do spend £130 on a new bigger oil cooler (you need to) it is still cheaper than a blade.

Adam

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
No, it is about the same because it is air/oil cooled. It means you are not carrying around another couple of kilograms of water/antifreeze and a radiator. Even if you do spend £130 on a new bigger oil cooler (you need to) it is still cheaper than a blade.

Adam

Save installing a heater in the car too!!! LOL

Iwas quoted 1k for a blade engine with all the gubbins up here is the frozen north, Good or bad????

[Edited on 2-6-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

phelpsa

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
In the middle. If you pull it out of a bike at the scrappie it will be cheaper.

Adam

JoelP

posted on 2/6/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
i thought they were loads cheaper than that. Jon was selling a blade for 300 quid once.

my zx9r was £410, the cdi was £16. fuel pump about a fiver. offsky.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

alister667

posted on 2/6/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
The day's of cheap blade engines has long gone! 1k is about right.
It's a bonus if you were able to hear it going.

It's depressing to hear stories of folks buying pre 95 engines for peanuts

Zoophoria

posted on 2/6/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
The gsxr1100 seems very interesting, read a little bit about it, seems quite easy to tune.
But then I really don't know how the others are, like the r1 or the blade engine.

subk2002

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Give colibriman a shout he might be able to sort you out with something.

Drew

phelpsa

posted on 3/6/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
gsxr1100 is not very popular because it is oil/air cooled so you would need lots of vents and scoops to keep it cool.

Adam

Zoophoria

posted on 4/6/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think I've decided to save some more money and buy somehting newer with a cat, cause if I build my car with an engine without emission control I will have to pay a fee when I register it, and that fee is about 500£ so I guess its more fun to put those money on a newer engine instead.
bike_power

posted on 5/6/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can add a cat to any exhaust system, just get a second hand cat from a largish engined car.

Do you need lambda too ? Some people manage to get through the UK emissions test with just a cat and careful tuning.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/6/04 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
ENGINE CHOICE

Have you thought about the injection fire blade RRY 2000/1 929cc ,I have one fitted
to my MK INDY It passed the SVA with just a cat fitted, no lamda sensor ,and no fueling or ignition ajustments, you dont have to fit a choke ,and theres a bit more power than the early blades. you can pick them up now for about £1000

Zoophoria

posted on 7/6/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I need a lambda, cat and a carbon canister (not sure what that is though)

I think it has something to do with the tank ventilation, am I right?

[Edited on 7/6/04 by Zoophoria]

Bo

posted on 8/6/04 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

Yes you're right. The Carbon Canistor is for cleaning the ventilation from the gastank.

You can however use a carb engine and Megasquirt with Lambda and a cat, and pass the test. (I am thinking about it for my R1 engine, not sure however if it will end up more expensive than the "pollution fee" though)

Zoophoria

posted on 8/6/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
If its cheaper or the same as buying an engine that will pass the test, then I think I´d rather go for the megasquirt, it is programmable.. right? Does it support "closed loop"?
Bo

posted on 9/6/04 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
megsquirt

I think it supports closed loop. I havent spent that much time investigating yet, since this is filed as "next years challenges"

The problem with getting an engine that will pass is that they are very expensive, we are talking 2002 - R1, GSX-R1000, 2000 - Blade and ZX-9R ? before these years they all had carbs.

Happy hunting, and if you find a supply of cheap 2002+ R1 engine please let me know

PeetBee

posted on 9/6/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
What about Suzukis RF900 or Yamaha's FZR1000 & XJ900?
These are engines that have reputations of being quite bullet proof whilst being really cheap. Also there are a lot of similar 750cc bikes out there.

Is there a minimum cc that should be considered or anything wrong with using these bikes??

crbrlfrost

posted on 9/6/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
The megasquirt does support closed loop running off the O2 sensor, but it is a narrow band sensor at this point. They do offer a wide band amplifier, but it is only for tuning right now as the ECU does have the capability to read it. The UltraMegaSquirt, which, last I checked was due out in the fall or winter is supposed to support a full wide band lambda and is written in C language, so it may be a bit easier for a poor sod like me to read it. Cheers!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/6/04 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
What the opinion on a pan european 1100 flavour or 1300 cookies and cream?
Both cost wise availibility and shafty. ST seem to speak highly of them.

Answers on a ten pound note.
Answers on a ten pound note.

[Edited on 16-6-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.