theconrodkid

posted on 1/6/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
dont pannic mr mannering

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=103165&f=23&h=0

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Spottty

posted on 2/6/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
What exactly is a fuel strike? I have been in a gas war here where the price drops about 30 cents a liter, is it the same thing?

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/6/04 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
no, but i wish it was.

our fuel strikes are when hauliers strike and refuse to deliver to or from refineries, which has the effect of bringing the country to a grinding halt, supermarkets don't get deliveries, hour long waits at garages to get a few gallons of overpriced fuel that sort of thing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

James

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Better fix the dodgy choke on my Golf! Need to get back to filling up every two weeks again!

James

JAG

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think we should all support this action - if it happens.

Last time the hauliers and farmers went out on a limb without support from the general motorists. Yet, as a group, we buy more fuel than any other

IF the government does take any action it will benefit us equally and if we all act together there is more chance we can bring about change on fuel tax

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

JoelP

posted on 2/6/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
at least the esso BP boycott made the front page of papers yesterday. That was a good idea in my books. Even if it couldnt make them lower prices it would've messed them about a bit.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I think we should all support this action - if it happens.

Fine - if I run out of petrol I can't get to work, as there's no public transport that goes to the station. Because of that my job would be at risk.

Also, my son can't get to his place of work, which is 20 miles away. His job would also be at risk.

That will make a big difference to the oil companies...

David

JAG

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hhhmmmm perhaps you missed my point Dave

You personally running out of fuel is not what I want. You taking part in the demo, if the opportunity arises, is probably more in tune with my original thoughts.

Slow moving convoys on major roads/M'ways would be easy to join - for instance

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

theconrodkid

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
in the last demmo 2000 i think,there was a slow moving convoy on the A40,its allways like that tho,most of the price of petrol/derv is tax so its not really the fuel companies fault,basicly short of electing jeremy clarkson to pm you have to put up with it,any sort od blockade of fuel depots will bring the army/plod down on you,could be the final nail in bliars coffin tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Hhhmmmm perhaps you missed my point Dave

You personally running out of fuel is not what I want.

Unfortunately, that is exactly the situation I was nearly in during the last dispute - I almost emptied my car, then my wife's, before I managed to get more petrol.

The joys of living out of town...

David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
It Tonys best buddy who happens to live in North Queensferry Fife .... Gordon who is at fault here. His cut in tax is +-70 percent! If he lowered the tax we would be ok.

flak monkey

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
But if you cut fuel tax, you'll have to pay it somewhere else...it'll just end up getting added to something else

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ned

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
i don't think it'd be quite so bad if all the revenue from fuel tax went back into the uk road network, but the state tha our roads are in i trhink its wrong. if thismoney is going on healthcare or other stuff then it should go on income tax or national insurance so the burden is shared equally on the population of the uk, not just the motorist.

either that or scrap road tax and put that on fuel in place of the tax that then goes to income tax. that way people who do high milage pay for he roads and those doing low milage don't get stung by the same flat rate road tax.

is it hte germans who pay shed loads of income tax?

Ned.

[Edited on 2/6/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 2/6/04 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
our top rate is 40%, lib dems want to raise it to 50% on higher earners. trouble is, that wont actually raise much money.

i wish the government could stop wasting so much money, i dont mind taxes if i feel they are well spent, but everywhere i look i see bureacracy and wastage, and that twat lord irvine should be shot at dawn.

mackie

posted on 2/6/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
That figure of 88,000 new NHS staff and only 4,000 of them medical seems a bit nuts to me.
I appreciate that it takes more than doctors and nurses to run a hospital but it is a fairly stunning figure.
But I don't really know that much about how our tax is spent so I'll shut up.

Alez

posted on 2/6/04 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
i don't think it'd be quite so bad if all the revenue from fuel tax went back into the uk road network, but the state tha our roads are in i trhink its wrong. if thismoney is going on healthcare or other stuff then it should go on income tax or national insurance so the burden is shared equally on the population of the uk, not just the motorist.

either that or scrap road tax and put that on fuel in place of the tax that then goes to income tax. that way people who do high milage pay for he roads and those doing low milage don't get stung by the same flat rate road tax.

is it hte germans who pay shed loads of income tax?

Ned.

[Edited on 2/6/04 by ned]

A few things should be different for people doing significantly different mileages. The other day I was thinking about that regarding the need for a cat in new engines. Each of us should be allowed to pollute a fixed amount a year. If my Locost does extremely low milleage, I should be able to choose not to fit a cat. No, seriously!!

[Edited on 2/6/04 by Alez]

Hellfire

posted on 2/6/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of tax... I've been pondering for some time, actually how much of our salary/wage is taken off us.

Our wages are taxed, the food we eat is taxed, the car we buy, the fuel we put in it, speaking of which is the road tax taxed But seriously if you get say 30K per year how much is really not taxed?

There is b*gger all we can do about it... there is no government that will significantly alter the total 'removal' of money from our wallets, whether it be in taxes or by any other means. It's just playing with our money...

Mk-Ninja

posted on 2/6/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's just playing with our money...

You should have been a politician

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

splitrivet

posted on 2/6/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
It doesnt matter what colour the government is in this country if they give you tax back in one hand they take it off of you in another,and its always been the same.
The main problem is its the motorist who gets clobbered most,speed cameras for example they are just another tax with the added bonus that you could loose your licence/job/livehood.
I seriously looking at running my diesel motor on vegetable oil (30p a litre).
The one good thing is we havent got toll roads,the trip from Calais to my house just outside Limoge costs me £25,mind you in saying that I dont think it will be long till we have those as well.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

andyps

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I fully support any action which may be taken - we have to ensure that the tax does not rise any more (especially the planned 2p per litre increase). I have said this before on this forum - when the price has gone up 10p due to the price of oil Gordon has already claimed an extra 1.5p in VAT.

Must go and fill the cans to put in the donor which is still sat on my drive.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

andyps

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Speaking of tax... I've been pondering for some time, actually how much of our salary/wage is taken off us.

Our wages are taxed, the food we eat is taxed, the car we buy, the fuel we put in it, speaking of which is the road tax taxed But seriously if you get say 30K per year how much is really not taxed?

There is b*gger all we can do about it... there is no government that will significantly alter the total 'removal' of money from our wallets, whether it be in taxes or by any other means. It's just playing with our money...

There is a figure/date which is given out occassionally about when it is that you earn money for yourself rather than the government. I can't remember when it is but seem to remember it is in early May or something. Basically, if you took your earnings for the year, for the first 5 months it all goes to the government in taxes (obviously an average). Of course, we have to work for longer now before we have finished paying tax than used to be the case. I think it has moved 3 or 4 days since 1997.

Andy

JoelP

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
'tax relief day', isnt it? only just passed a few weeks ago...

im ont swerve, me.

andyps

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Joel - it is tax freedom day, some dates:

May

2 Tax Freedom Day in 1965
2 Gordon Brown becomes Chancellor of the Exchequer, 1997
26 Tax Freedom Day 2002
28 Tax Freedom Day 2003
28 Tax Freedom Day in the last year of the Heath government, 1974
30 Tax Freedom Day 2004

The worst ever was June 15th - in 1983

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.