Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You know when you go away from home...
coozer

posted on 18/8/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
You know when you go away from home...

You have a favourite pub?

Maybe its the one on the campsite, or in you favourite little village somewhere, or maybe just off the camp site?

Well, where is it?

I only ask as I'm missing my favourite in a small village in the south.. Its called The Tottenham just round the corner from the Dominion. No idea why, after all its 300 miles away and it sells my favourite beer ,Spitfire, only warm and flat, whereas I like it cold and fizzy..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

NigeEss

posted on 18/8/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Something's not right then, fave beer is Spitfire but you want it cold and fizzy ?????????
So you want real ale served like lager
Shame on you !

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

scootz

posted on 19/8/10 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sarajevska Pivara (Sarajevo Brewery).

Bit flash by Bosnian standards, but they do a 'dark' beer that is just sublime!

It's Evolution Baby!

mds167

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with you Coozer.
Spit is nice when it's slightly chilled.
As for favourite pub...not had a regular for ages but years ago I used to frequent the bar local Indian restaurant...because it served bottles of chilled Spitfire!
Can you still get the stubby bottles (Baby Spit!) in supermarkets? Haven't seen them for ages!

Howlor

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
http:/ /maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=norwich+premier+inn&ie=UTF8&hq=premier+inn&hnear=Norwich,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.633019,1.2 92986&spn=0,0.003422&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.632903,1.292513&panoid=8sNJ1WmWsP-clmPuemyb4w&cbp=12,7.59,,0,-2.71

Golden Star in Norwich, great pub, great beer.

Steve

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Howlor]

Steve Hignett

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
The London Inn...
Cala Bona, Mallorca.

They do the best beer in the world, and no-one can argue with me on this one!

(free beer for 6 months - I was a Hol Rep at nearby hotel and sent him business!)

Dick Axtell

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Beer Away from Home

Best ever - Kuala Lumpur, 1999, downtown Irish bar. Promo event - 4 pints Guinness for price of 1. Excellent!!!!

Encountered some American colleagues later on. They introduced me to Margueritas - which they drank from pint mugs!!

I didn't finish mine. Too salty.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

nick205

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
My local haunt for many years and a always an entertaining walk home across the fields and up through the woods

The "Pub With No Name", actually called The White Horse, but the sign fell down (before I was born) and no one ever put it back up.

http://www.pubwithnoname.co.uk/

Sadly it's dragged itself a bit more upmarket and added a restaurant (a necessary evil I guess) and I don't live near it any more

Fozzie

posted on 19/8/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Favourite pub ....mmmmm too many to mention as it depends on my mood for the day...... that is sometimes I want warm and cosy, others lively and noisy, and then sometimes that serve good pub nosh.....

You can buy bottles of Spitfire in our local Tesco's I'm sure I have a bottle or 2 sitting next to the car in the garage........
Oh...and yes..it's better chilled, but not too much..and no it shouldn't be too fizzy .... shame on you!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

chrisxr2

posted on 19/8/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
There is a wetherspoons hidden out the way in peterborough, beer is good, not full of chavs, cheaper then the other pubs in town, always someone in worth chatting too. Fortunately just 20 minutes away on the train for me.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

lotusmadandy

posted on 19/8/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Celebration town tavern,in Orlando.
They sell Newcastle Brown Ale,mmmm.......
My favorite.

Andy

Alan B

posted on 19/8/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
For Fozzie and Skydivepaul.....

I took Paul in, telling him how friendly and trouble free the place was....I ended up apologising for the barmaid wrestling with one of the lady customers....she was flashing her t*ts too much apparently...seems that Paul didn't mind

SS2
SS2

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 19/8/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Alan ..... I should have mentioned The Sugar Shack ..... but....I was thinking pubs in dear old Blighty......

Waddya mean trouble free?!?! ... Friendly.....very....... ..... Trouble free....Nooooooo!

It's the nearest place in the world that's like a Good ol' Wild West pub you could ever hope for....

I remember when we were there, we were looking at the NASCAR posters on the wall, and a good old fight ensued, the barmaid joined in too, then they all took it outside and some sped off in their pick ups, shoutin' and bawlin' cowboy boots and stetsons flying all over the place .... ....

If I remember rightly, we just stayed on our bar stools quietly supping and chatting, and when we wanted another, you just went behind the bar and pulled a couple more....

And then..... a few of them arrived back, and just carried on as though nowt had happened ......What a hoot ....

Deffo the best night out ever ....

Mucho kudos to The Sugar Shack and all who supp in it ....
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

morcus

posted on 20/8/10 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Spitfire should be drunk at room temperature. Round here you can get Spitfire everywhere, though they do make it just down the road.

At Uni I was always at the Todd Bar on Strathclyde campus. They weren't often busy which made for a good atmosphere. Me and my drinking buddy were actually there completely by ourselves for an hour once (It was early afternoon in the first week of september, bar man said if we needed more drinks to do it our selves and leave the money behind the bar, then disapeared for an hour.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Alan B

posted on 25/8/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
BTT for Skydivepaul
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sugar Shack!!!!!!!

I agree totally with Fozzie, just like the wild west.

Been there a few times now with Alan and it is never a dull evening.

Always plenty of beer drunk and usually a good (fight to watch) entertainment from the locals.
some real characters in there. the guy with three fingers missing, taken by a local alligator on two separate occasions

looking in the car park at rows of huge pick up trucks with airboats on trailers.

always left there with a smile...................................woke up next morning with a headache

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.