Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wich cad program?
Zoophoria

posted on 20/6/04 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Wich cad program?

Wich 3d cad program is the easiest to use for a total newbie. I want to use it to make a drawing of my chassis.
tom_loughlin

posted on 20/6/04 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
in my oppinion, autoCAD is the easiest package to get to grips with - you can start with 2D drafting, then progress to basic 3D modelling, provided there are no complex operations.
once competent with the menus etc. pro engineer is an extremely powerful package, but pretty complicated to master.
tom

richijenkin

posted on 20/6/04 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
no such thing as an easy cad package stick with Autodesk.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gys

posted on 20/6/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would prefer SolidWorks. It is Windows-like and Windows-based. IMHO it is not very difficult to master.
Packages like ProE and Catia are more powerful, but I doubt you will ever need it...

Mave

posted on 20/6/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
For 3D I use SolidWorks; nice, quick and easy. For 2D I use AutoCAD.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
malcolmstoddart

posted on 20/6/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
in my opinion I would stick to Autosketch or AutoCAD, both easy to master and good results..

regards

Malcolm

Mk-Ninja

posted on 20/6/04 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Autodesk for both 2d and 3d
Autocad for 2d
Inventor for 3d
I use both every day and are great products

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Alan B

posted on 20/6/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use Mechanical desktop...don't even think of regular AutoCAD for 3D...totally useless...

I'm also learning Solidworks...has a lot going for it, but let them kid you...it's not THAT easy to learn...also there are several things I can do in Mech desktop that can't be done in SW......

From what I've seen of inventor it's a lot like SW....some impresive features, but drawbacks in certain areas...

In fact except for Mech desktop all the solid modelers seem to suffer form the same problem....poor 2D output....very clunky and amateurish.....completely opposite from their excellent modelling capabilities...

All IMO based on 14 years of daily CAD usage.

malcolmstoddart

posted on 20/6/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
on the subject of drawing packages, I use the autodesk products at work on and off quite a bit and I would like to know here I can lay my hands on suitable programs for home use, can anyone direct me to the whereabouts of this software..or can anyone sell me it...would like to try solidwork (you alll rave on about it)
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/6/04 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone used Microstation?

I use it everyday, i understand it is more popular in the states, any comment Alan?

I use it with a tablet and puck, you know a boardwith all the tools layed out and you just select the tool you want to use. I find it much much quicker than menu hopping and toolbox managing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

blueshift

posted on 20/6/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I tried autocad and solidworks as a newbie. I found solidworks much more intuitive and easy to get results with. Can't speak about anything else.
Alan B

posted on 20/6/04 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Anyone used Microstation?

I use it everyday, i understand it is more popular in the states, any comment Alan?

Microstation..the Bentley product right?...Yes I did get to use it about 5 years ago in conjunction with some FEA package...it seemed fairly popular then but seems to have lost ground in recent years....

Blueshift, I agree that SW is more intuitive modelling wise, but the 2D output...which is vital unless you produce CAM/CNC files all days....leaves a lot to be desired......IMO

sgraber

posted on 25/6/04 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Have you guys seen the drawings that Dennis Palatov is outputting over on his www.dpcars.net site? He is using SW and outputting the working drawings as PDFs. Lovely, simply lovely.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

thekafer

posted on 25/6/04 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
Autodesk Inventor release 8 rocks!!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

flak monkey

posted on 25/6/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Pro Desktop/Pro Engineer. For CAD drawings. Draw in 3d then convert to 2d engineering drawings. Simple to use and plenty of features. Can do animations of 3d models, output files to jpeg, dxf, IGES etc.

Solid works its more of an arty program, but good if you want high quality renders. IMHO

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

gys

posted on 25/6/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nice discussion: just put 10 Catia constructors together with 10 Pro/E ones in a room and ask them about SW, they will probably tell you it is a Photoshop-derivate, and then start to fight whether Pro/E is for real men or Catia...
I can use SW, Pro/E and - if really necessary - Catia5 (please no 4.2.2), but I think SW is the easiest to learn and for a locost you're not likely having 'problems' the program can't cope with...

All IMHO...

[Edited on 25/6/04 by gys]

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

chriscook

posted on 25/6/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
In a similar vein has anyone got any recommendations for producing decent wiring diagrams?

Have to agree solidworks is pretty easy to learn, i can use autocad/mech desktop but don't really like them much. Not used either for a few years though , so don't know what the latest versions are.

Cheers,
Chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.