Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New guy saying hi and maybe looking for advice
hucky

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
New guy saying hi and maybe looking for advice

hello all, i could not find a new members section so thought i would say hello here. Im in the manchester area and want to do this project as i was going to do it with my grandad a good few years ago but never happened and now couldnt.

i currently dont have a project but looking for chassis to start. ive been reading the forums for the last 2 - 3 days now to see what i need, where i need it and what works with what.

i currently have a mk2 mr2 which i think i am going to use as my donor, i have how ever read that some people are successful strapping the lexus is200 box to the engine and then others saying they have not. can anyone that has done this please get in touch?

the engine is a 3sge which a friend of mine has played with, its the N/A version but running high 190+ bhp ( i still need to see this with my own eyes though )

any advice, help and guidance would be appriciated and also negative feedback as thats the reason i have joined the forums, you people have already made/are making these and can tell me what im doing wrong hopefully

anyway, i will keep a progress blog on here and thank you for reading

eddie99

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by project? is this to put the engine in a seven kit car or something else???

EDIT: Welcome to locostbuilders by the way, you will find this the most helpful website out there

[Edited on 11/4/11 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
omega0684

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
again i think eddie has hit the nail on the head, you haven't mentioned what you actually want to build, lol

Welcome to the Mad House the website of infinate knowledge.

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hucky

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
im still learning what the differances between the chassis are but looking for the chassis first. i think it will be a 7 chassis to then put the 3sge engine into it.
jossey

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
welcome to the mad house.

firstly welcome.

anything you need you will normally find on here. locost 7 chassis normally appear on on ebay for about £100 or less. one didnt sell the other day from rotherham for £50. so you can get them cheap.

and if they are just the chassis you can normally put them on your car roof to get the home(preferably on a roof rack lol)

the 3sge engine is a good engine so have fun with that.

anyway good luck with your build. let us know how you get on and what your building.

im building a locost 7 with bike engine. i started mine about 18 months ago and not yet in driveable condition. i built mine from scratch too.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 11/4/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think the only part of the MR2 you can use is the engine. So you'll probably need a Donor for the differential, brakes, steering, drive shafts and hubs. The 3SGE engine can go onto the T50 gearbox or W5* gearbox but you'll be looking at a modified bellhousing to match up and take the clutch / flywheel. I'm not sure the standard inlet manifold will fit in under the bonnet either. The Australian and New Zealand sevens tend to use more Jap engines and have some solid advice.

adithorp

posted on 11/4/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house.

Get yourself down to Stoeleigh show 1-2May and have a good look around. If the weather is good there'll be hundreds of owners cars there (more on Sun usually) and have good look around. That should allow you to see whats available from the manufacturers and how they turn out and then firm up your plans.

It should be possible in theory to use a fair bit of the MR2. Engine (not 'box if not a middy build), front hubs, steering, rear hubs, brakes... but it's not a well trodden path and you'll be starting from scratch design wise with a lot of it. It's better to source the donor car required for the build you want, than make what you have fit.

There's also the argument for buying a road legal/built car and then striping and rebuilding to your taste. Cheaper in the long run and avoids the IVA/registration process.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hucky

posted on 11/4/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
the main reason im building is the cash, building it i can see it costing more but over a longer period of time, where as if i buy i need to shell out more cash. only real reason the mr2 come into mind was that a friend of mine owes me a car as he broke mine and said i could have his mr2 (that needs a new clutch)

i may just brake or fix mr2 and look for another engine idea then, but dont want to set anything in stone untill i have the chassis.

hughpinder

posted on 11/4/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome,

There's a locost chassis for sale in the 'for sale' with suspension arms, front uprights and nose cone at £180.

Regards
Hugh

hucky

posted on 11/4/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
already got onto him, just waiting for him to come on line so that i can have a chat with him

and also thank you all for the warm welcome

hucky

posted on 19/4/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
well after last nights spending spree and driving lots have a haynes built chassis with cortina rear axle, uprights, suspension arms, nose cone, most of the chassis body work done, bonnet, modified prop, rear struts and springs then the nice post man delivered me a scuttle pannel of a westfield. not 100% the scuttle will fit as i want it to but i can modify it if needed.

so my project has just come underway

total spend so far including fuel is 342 which i am very happy with

spiderman

posted on 13/5/11 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
nz_climber in N.Z. is building a seven with a 3sge and if you go to his profile and click on his website there might be some useful info on there. If you u2u him he may take a while to answer as I think his work commitments keep him away from the site. I u2u'd him a while ago and he has not read it yet, but I am sure he will when he can, as I have found that Kiwi's are really helpful and friendly, at least all the ones I've ever delt with.
Also try mcgregormotosport@clear.net.nz Matt is a REALLY nice helpful guy.

[Edited on 13/5/11 by spiderman]

[Edited on 13/5/11 by spiderman]

Spider

kitcarcollection

posted on 30/6/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
nz_climber has put a 3sge beams blacktop in his Frazer, just like I did in my MK indy.
This engine was only placed in the Toyota Altezza Rs200 so not in the lexus.

here more info about my project which I have used for racing for almost a year now:

http://www.kitcarcollection.com/used-cars/raceindytoyota.php

[Edited on 30/6/11 by kitcarcollection]

Dutch kitcarcollection.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.