matt.c

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Men's Hobbies

I have had a few hobbies over the years:

Custom cars, ICE etc
Fishing
Kit Car
Karting

Now i have a couple of kids, time has started to a big issue and now it affecting what i do for a hobby. The karting is starting to take up way too much time, getting the kart ready the week before, racing weekend and dismantle the week after etc.

Its just getting a bit much when the only time i get to do work on it is after 9pm at night.

Trouble is what do i do next? Have i got actually got the time for a "real hobby" or would it be better to have toys as such and have more than one?

Really still like to tinker with stuff and i think it would need some sort of engine to satisfy me.

What do you lot think? Anyone else been in this situation?

RichardK

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, I'm learning to tig ali when I have time and the money for argon!

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean.

My 11yo lad wants us to restore a mini.

StevieB

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Get the kids into karting and make a family hobby of it?
matt.c

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Get the kids into karting and make a family hobby of it?

1 is 3 and the other is 3 months old lol

matt.c

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Im thinking about RC toys, cars planes and helicopters

Kwik

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
thats only about a year younger than hamilton is

how about exotic fish?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlknight1982

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
rc helicopters can get expensive lol trust me

try something like an mcx2 from eflite first indoors, great fun

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

matt.c

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
thats only about a year younger than hamilton is

how about exotic fish?

Done the fish tanks for many years when i was younger.

coozer

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few hobbys....

Start off a family with 2 kids... not my fancy so I packed it in.. (came back later and bite me...)

New wife... happy times

So, RC IC cars...

Bikes...

Kits... Striker, then MNR, now Jago

And, all over that that music.. metal. Metallica..and AC/DC Pink Floyd, Led Zep.. Rage, ETC ETC

Driving buses and trucks, starting off at London Transport in the 80's EAC RM's.. Oooo yes...

Not sure whats next... lets see if I can get the numbers up...

If so, its Legend Racing

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I've had a few hobbys....

Start off a family with 2 kids... not my fancy so I packed it in.. (came back later and bite me...)

New wife... happy times

So, RC IC cars...

Bikes...

Kits... Striker, then MNR, now Jago

And, all over that that music.. metal. Metallica..and AC/DC Pink Floyd, Led Zep.. Rage, ETC ETC

Driving buses and trucks, starting off at London Transport in the 80's EAC RM's.. Oooo yes...

Not sure whats next... lets see if I can get the numbers up...

If so, its Legend Racing

And to add, sitting up all night every 4 years to see England whack/get wackked Australia in the Ashes.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

evonigel

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
try a round of golf
trust me it's addictive

coozer

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evonigel
try a round of golf
trust me it's addictive

You have to be joking.. right?

Only one way for golf...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RickRick

posted on 6/8/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rc cars! good way to get the kids into racing, and learning how cars work, ic is smelly and noisey, electric is faster cleaner, maybe slightly higher inital cost, but cheaper to run once setup, i've always been tempted by rc planes, heli's or boats, but always been put off by the what if it goes wrong bit, cars drive into something, maybe break a few bits, planes disapper, heli's smash them selfs to bits, and boats sink
Simon

posted on 7/8/11 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Playing with cars and m/c's, then tried a bit of model aircraft - scratch builds from plans, microlighting (ran out of money!!), bit of swimming, and now (for the last couple of years) into me mountain bike, and loving every time I get out on it (and the wife/boys can do it too.

ATB

Simon

Steve Hignett

posted on 7/8/11 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Anyone else been in this situation?

Yep, I feel totally lost in what to do if I ever get a bit of selfish time. Having said that it is so infrequent nowadays, that I don't think I'd ever have the chance to really get into a decent hobby!

I've done RC cars and Heli's - Obv kitcars inc scratch builds - and a whole heap of other stuff that men of our age do.

My next project (which I acquired the first part of today - Thanks Adithorp!), is going to be a Bamboo and carbon fibre bike

I'll let you know how I get on, as it seems like quite a cool project based on the small amount I've researched it!

Steve

morcus

posted on 7/8/11 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I second a vote for model making. It truely is addictive and you can do most stuff at anytime of day. My work/home situation means I've got very little time or space to do propper hobbies but I still enjoy model making.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

probablyleon

posted on 7/8/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I blame the Americans and more specifically, Californians. Until Hollywood started painting pictures of the 'perfect' super-blokes that could wrestle bears, detain a small group of terrorists and then lactate; never happier than when spending some 'quality time' with the wife and kids, hours in the park etc etc. This is getting out of hand and needs to stop. I noticed 'real life' Americans beginning to talk about enjoying spending time at the park with their kids 20 years ago, and it didn't take long before the UK went down with the same epidemic. The park is boring! There, I've said it.

Keep your hobbies (especially the karting, that looks fun) and explain to your wife that your a bloke and need your blokey pursuits.

Let me know how it goes, I may even try it myself one day

swanny

posted on 7/8/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
"husbands either have hobbies or affairs"
i mention that occasionally to wifey :-)

what about building a toylander/tot tod for the kids?

David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
Rc cars! good way to get the kids into racing, and learning how cars work, ic is smelly and noisey, electric is faster cleaner, maybe slightly higher inital cost, but cheaper to run once setup, i've always been tempted by rc planes, heli's or boats, but always been put off by the what if it goes wrong bit, cars drive into something, maybe break a few bits, planes disapper, heli's smash them selfs to bits, and boats sink

I quite fancy making one of those tricopters - they seem to be much easier to control than conventional helicopters (but that may be due to the fact that the only ones I've seen have been flown by experts!) and would be far cheaper to repair in the event of a crash - e.g. they buy their rotors in packs of 10, and quite a lot of each tricopter seems quite robust.

tony-devon

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ive pretty much gone all the circuit LOL

did formula blue Karting, but after a car accident, my Dr wouldnt sign my sheet off for karting due to back problems, GIT

Ive raced Rc cars, bikes and boats, at all levels, local, national and international, 1/5th touring was the best, but £5k RC model cars got a bit expensive LOL

played golf, but back and shoulder made it a bit of a chore

for the last few years I have been shooting, clays, and many different forms of target with rifles etc

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

davestarck

posted on 7/8/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Im thinking about RC toys, cars planes and helicopters

I have 2 1/8th scale off road nitro buggies with loads of spare parts if your interested. Not used for ages so sitting in the shed

Steve Hignett

posted on 7/8/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Matt,

Have you thought about KiteBoarding (on land) and/or KiteSurfing?

Once initial costs are paid out, then there's very little extra outlay apart from a bit of travelling maybe.
And I don't think intial costs are that extreme nowadays. In fact, the making of a buggy, to accompany the landboards, could be a cool project all on it's own!

I think Kites are cool for people of all ages, so in a couple years, it would be relatively easy to ontegrate your kids and maybe even your missus into Kiting with parts of your existing gear etc...

Nash

posted on 7/8/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, I feel your pain. I am further down the road then you and have done the whole motorsport thing. F2 BRISCA stock cars and went to karting when the family came along. Even Rotax MAX endurance racing becomes to expensive when the kids are small.

I love petrol and all things associated and I also love photography and video. So I did a "Bundle" and started photographing and videoing events and was lucky enough to make money at it. That got me though the lean years and allowed me to stay involved.

I'm now out the other side and have the Indy bit still do the photography and video for pleasure mostly. Life is a balance and sometimes you have to compromise but if you are smart you can find a win win.

Worked for me. Hope that helps.

........ Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

HowardB

posted on 7/8/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Hey Matt,

Have you thought about KiteBoarding (on land) and/or KiteSurfing?

Once initial costs are paid out, then there's very little extra outlay apart from a bit of travelling maybe.
And I don't think intial costs are that extreme nowadays. In fact, the making of a buggy, to accompany the landboards, could be a cool project all on it's own!

I think Kites are cool for people of all ages, so in a couple years, it would be relatively easy to ontegrate your kids and maybe even your missus into Kiting with parts of your existing gear etc...

ooo yes kite buggy,.. great fun, can be more exciting than skydive and that is saying something,... it's not toooooo expensive really either

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.