Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cad drawing of chassis
malcolmstoddart

posted on 2/8/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cad drawing of chassis

Guys
I have put first couple of my cad drawings in my photo archive for your comments - thoughts, I better explain, I used Terrapin_racing (thankyou!!!) for inspiration here (http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=11864) with two bulkheads welded together around the circumference and in the big gaps as shown in cad drawing, these bulkheads are separated by steel tubes which locate the main chassis rails a set distance apart, I have made a few trial runs of the bulkheads and tube format - and everything seems ok, plan to weld up fully one complete unit and subject it to some tests and see how it performs in the meantime can you's have a squint and see what you think....

Cheers for now

Malcolm

ned

posted on 3/8/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of using sheer plates, it makes the chassis nice and easy to assemble and it can be split easily to. I would think you'd need more triangulation in the bulkheads and the supporting members, though guess this is an early drawing so these triangulation members may be yet to come.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 3/8/04 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think it looks nice however for the roll over bar how will you stand with any form of scroutenering if you deside to take it on to a track?
blueshift

posted on 3/8/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I assume there's going to be some kind of triangulation? it doesn't look very strong at the moment.

note, I'm not an engineer.

derf

posted on 3/8/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I added some x-bracing that would make the frame much stronger, From the looks of it you will be having your frame made from solid machined plates. While this is a good idea, I dont believe that it is the most prudent way of building a car. Let me explain:

1. The cost of buying and machining the plates will have to be expensive, unless you do it yourself, and thats a butload of work, and expensive equiptment, and I'm sure it's still more than just building a spaceframe.
2. Weight, hollow steel tubes weigh alot less than a solid plate, and can be stronger, and easier to build with.

On the plus side, I do belive that it is a good Idea, if modified, would it be possible to use the bottome half as a plate, have a roll bar on top, and have the diff mounted between smaller plates with the suspension mounted to the spaceframe.

My additions to the frame to make it stronger:
Description
Description

New rear end design:
Image deleted by owner

Now again, I think it's a great idea in theory, just needs some modiication to make it perfect.

ceebmoj

posted on 3/8/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
if you look at the second dawing is shos that the sections are made from thin sheat held to dether with edjing and tube through conectors
blueshift

posted on 4/8/04 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very pretty but a lot of work, and I don't see where the strength is.
Piledhigher

posted on 4/8/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
While not necessarily locost, I love the idea of making these bulkheads. You can have the sheets laser cut by emachineshop.com for a nominal price and weld the outer strip yourself.

I am planning a frame with significant deviations from the book and am seriously contemplating this method.

Cory

malcolmstoddart

posted on 4/8/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The main bulkhead panels are made from 1mm sheet steel (or will be if I go down this route) laser cut by a company in Glasgow, Ceebmoj got his done there and the finish is second to none and requires NO final finishing..
As for bracing I have contemplated following the theme of the bulkheads right round the rear of the chassis and missing out the tubes altogether, just a thought..
Roll bar.. I put this in square section there because at that time I couldn't figure out how to do the 90 degree (or so) turn at the top in tubes in autosketch when working in the 3d manner (all help please )
I plan to make up one shortly and subject it to some tests, possibly external testers we use at work..and will see how it performs then against steel tubular format.
will modify it soon and repost it then

cheers for now..

Hugh Paterson

posted on 5/8/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh so now we know ya crafty git, think Stevie boy and I are going to Knockhill next week if your doon this neck of the woods Malc will confirm when I know the details.
Cheers the noo
Shug.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.