Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going over to the DARKSIDE with a ST1300
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Going over to the DARKSIDE with a ST1300

Just looking at getting one soon as my license is sat.

I was looking at kitcars again but we want to get back out on the road. I miss my BEC which was crashed a few years back and the insurance fookup.

I can get finance to buy the honda , some thing i cant get on a kit unless I go for westy or cat and possibly wont have any where to keep it
The storage foot print is the other factor .
Has anyone got a st

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had an old st1100.

It was ace on the motorway, smooth, powerful, and no wind - I had a very trick screen with laminar lip etc, I could have my lid open at 70 and not feel the wind!

Handles ...ok...but it was a bit of a grotty bike in terms of suspension, and was in need of refresh.

Panniers were a FLIPPIN nightmare - why design panniers that wobble about and leak?

Harder to filter on a big bike like that.

Two up was fine, just dont ever loose your footing on gravel at the lights/junction - picking it up is next to impossible (I never dropped it, but had a few close calls, and holding it on the tipping point nearly gave me a hernia!)

st1300 seems better in everyway (except the police version...)

StevieB

posted on 10/1/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I can thoroughly see the sense in replacing a kit with a bike - I've done that myself.

But with an ST? Truly moving to the very darkest side indeed

PS - Dangle, the same guy must have design Triumph panniers too. Good crash guards though!

[Edited on 10/1/12 by StevieB]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Its for touring and weekends away up in Scotland. We want a smooth tourer- local running aint really going to happen as we tend to use the wagon or golfish car.
StevieB

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I use my Tirumph Tiger for - nice smooth engine, plenty low down grunt and the high riding position gives a great view of the road ahead.

Not been two up yet though - my wife isn't a good passenger at the best of times (easily gets travel sick) and doesn't fancy the idea of it much (she hated the se7en too).

Simon

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
As i've mentioned on here before, chap I used to know loved Pans. He reckoned he'd done 1/4 million miles on them touring all over the place including down to north Africa. Good bikes by all accounts. Downside was it took him 7 hours to change the headlight bulb

ATB

Simon

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
As i've mentioned on here before, chap I used to know loved Pans. He reckoned he'd done 1/4 million miles on them touring all over the place including down to north Africa. Good bikes by all accounts. Downside was it took him 7 hours to change the headlight bulb

ATB

Simon

thats not long .....

fazerruss

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
This is the ST you should get....

Description
Description

Ticks all the boxes

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
This is the ST you should get....

Description
Description

Ticks all the boxes

my licence matters to me and too much powers a problem cause I will use it

Simon

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry - anything with more than about 100bhp even two up has higher power to weight ratio better than 99% of sportscars, so your licence is still greatly at risk

ATB

Simon

locoboy

posted on 11/1/12 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
My bike of choice had I the license of the money to do it!

ATB
Locoboy

owelly

posted on 11/1/12 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had a ride on an ST1300 and it wasn't for me at all!! I didn't like the wallowyness and the way it flopped into corners slightly before I wanted it to and the way the tyres seems to be working against each other! I didn't like the way it squirmed when you wound-on the power from anything other than upright or tried to understeer. I didn't like the size of the thing or the high CofG. Apart from those things, it was OK.......
To be fair, if it was my bike, I may have been able to change the tyres (and pressures) and tweaked the suspension, but for me, I'd rather have several other bikes first!! Plenty of folks love them so perhaps I'm just not one of Pans people.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/1/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I had a ride on an ST1300 and it wasn't for me at all!! I didn't like the wallowyness and the way it flopped into corners slightly before I wanted it to and the way the tyres seems to be working against each other! I didn't like the way it squirmed when you wound-on the power from anything other than upright or tried to understeer. I didn't like the size of the thing or the high CofG. Apart from those things, it was OK.......
To be fair, if it was my bike, I may have been able to change the tyres (and pressures) and tweaked the suspension, but for me, I'd rather have several other bikes first!! Plenty of folks love them so perhaps I'm just not one of Pans people.

Ive also looked at the touring bmws even the odd gold wing has been looked at but goldwing is way over the top and you are in car territory

MikeCapon

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
If you do buy a Pan, either an 1100 or a 1300, both of them are transformed with a proper shock absorber fitted.

Particularly the 1100 where the OE shock is a hideous and very basic affair.

I love these kind of bikes as the difference in behaviour is so huge, even the least sensitve customers are made up.

In around 4 weeks I could even make you one.

Cheers,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
If you do buy a Pan, either an 1100 or a 1300, both of them are transformed with a proper shock absorber fitted.

Particularly the 1100 where the OE shock is a hideous and very basic affair.

I love these kind of bikes as the difference in behaviour is so huge, even the least sensitve customers are made up.

In around 4 weeks I could even make you one.

Cheers,

Mike

They have a huge following so i think the problems with the design get iorned out quickly

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.