Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running issues in a Fireblade Fury- fueling?
vexed

posted on 22/1/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Running issues in a Fireblade Fury- fueling?

Hello all
I recently bought a Fisher Fury with a Fireblade engine on carbs (919)

It needed some work doing- but the engine was running fine. Now I have finished changing the bonnet, lights and a few other things and have taken it for a drive- the engine is not running well under load.
It revs freely up to about 5k, then if there is any more than gently pressure on the accelerator it bogs down and loses power. The only real change to the engine I have made is to swap the standard airbox to a foam filter, so I don't have to cut a hole in the new front clam.
I have changed the inline filter and some of the tatty fuel hose. The filter in the fuel pump is completely clear. I have run some redex through the carbs to make sure there is no gunk built up there.

The car is fitted with a fuel pressure regulator, which was set to 1.5 by the last chap who had the car. Turning this up a little seems to give me some more revs before the engine loses power (up to 6.5). turning it up more made the car stall, I think because I had flooded it.

In the garage with the filter off and the engine revved, it still does not spin up as it should and bogs down.

My questions are- how do you decide the best setting for the pressure regulator? What else could be the cause of my problems?

Thanks in advance for any help
George

Andy B

posted on 22/1/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have seen this many times with car bed blades. Firstly the fact that it is running a pressure regulator suggests it is using a facet pump. Put simply this simply doesn't work, the facet fuel pump runs too high a pressure and the regulator ( and I'm guessing it's a filter king or similar) does not control the pressure accurately enough. Every time you hit a bump the pressure will change, the best thing to do is sell the pump and reg and replace it with a self regulating blade item, no need for regulator then.
Secondly the air filter will flow dramatically more air so your engine will start to run lean from 5000 up. Assuming you have a dynojet kit fitted, fit 132 main jets set the pilots 2 1/2 turns out, blank the air correctors and set the adjustable needles on the second groove from the top and it will go like stink
If you have any questions you can get me at AB Performance on 01449 736633
Best regards
Andy

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/1/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice as usual, Andy I will be ringing you tomorrow to order a dyno jet kit for my new Aries with the 893 blade fitted.
Andy B

posted on 22/1/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul
No problem, I will be in all day tomorrow and have the kits in stock, speak to you tomorrow
Regards
Andy

Proby

posted on 22/1/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I remember when I built my Westfield, with an 893. I too binned the air box and fitted a sausage filter. It did exactly the same as you describe, and as Andy states it's just leaning out when you start to make power. As soon as you get the dynojet kit in, it will sort it out.
vexed

posted on 23/1/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, very helpful

I don't think I have a dynojet kit.

Is the dynojet kit hard to fit? At the moment I don't know what the inside of a carb looks like...
And once it is fitted, does it need to be set up professionally, or need a power commander or anything else?

I have only just got the car, so at the moment I'm more keen to just have it running and get used to it than I am starting to try and increase the power!

[Edited on 23/1/12 by vexed]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/1/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vexed
Thanks for the replies, very helpful

I don't think I have a dynojet kit.

Is the dynojet kit hard to fit? At the moment I don't know what the inside of a carb looks like...
And once it is fitted, does it need to be set up professionally, or need a power commander or anything else?

I have only just got the car, so at the moment I'm more keen to just have it running and get used to it than I am starting to try and increase the power!

[Edited on 23/1/12 by vexed]

Just spoke to Andy at AB Performance this afternoon, the dynojet kits are easy enough to fit, just tell him what set up you are going to run, and he will send you the correct kit, which will run spot on out of the box no dyno set up required, he's done that many he knows what is required for every set up.
Power commanders are only for fuel injected engines, they electronically control fueling on these engines.
You need to get a dynojet kit fitted as soon as possible, not only will your engine run alot better, but you can melt your pistons if its running lean.

vexed

posted on 23/1/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I tested the theory that the filter is making the engine run lean by putting the old airbox back on, and just securing the front clam over it with gaffer tape. You are all absolutely right! It ran perfectly with the original airbox.

It was also the first time I have ever driven the car with it running well, and with just myself in the car. It is absolutely explosive! I can't wait to have a proper play and get it on a track day.

So I think jetting sounds like the way to go, so I don't have to cut a hole in the front clam. Thanks for the pointers.

vexed

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
As an update to this old thread- fitting the dynojet kit as discussed with Andy Bates on the phone sorted out the problem and made the fireblade engine run brilliantly!
vexed

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
In the end I took the carbs off and dropped them off at the local honda garage who fitted them for £30.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.