Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: A couple of questions!
hicost

posted on 24/8/12 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of questions!

I am going to start a build over the net couple of weeks and I wondered if anyone has any answers to the following question. To give you a brief description I am using a Cosworth LSD 7.5 and standard driveshafts. Cosworth yb and T5 box.

I intend to push the engine about 10 to 12 inches further toward the centre of the car and the seats will be mounted as far as they can against the rear firewall. Now my last two chassis have been various sizes and designs, mustang rear live axle etc.

My main question is in order to use the Cosworth rear end, I have carriers etc what is the width of the chassis I have to play with to the outside edges of the box section. I have various downloaded plans but no books other than my 17 year old "build your car for £250.00"

Looking forward to your answers.

James

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 24/8/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
the newer chris gibbs book has a sierra rear end it will also take the 7.5 inch diff if you move the carriers out slightly. if you take that design and mate it to cortina or an mx5 front you should end up with a pretty good package.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

big_wasa

posted on 24/8/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
The roadster being a little wider would help with getting the engine back a bit.
pewe

posted on 24/8/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
James, great to see you're back in the loop.
If you want MX5 suspension bits I have some available - located Reading.
Alternatively if you just want dims. you're welcome to come over with a tape measure and take them - car is currently on blocks so reasonably accessible.
Keep us posted.
Cheers, Pewe10

Chippy

posted on 24/8/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James, if you want the loan of the Chris Gibbs book you are wellcome to borrow mine, not fussed when it comes back, but would like it back when you have finished with it. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

hicost

posted on 25/8/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks for the replies boys, Chippy I think I will buy the book as I will probably write all over it with my thoughts, and it will get burnt from the welders.

Cheers

James

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 25/8/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
James

Why dont you go down the ultima route, as that was what you were after 10+ years ago ?

Steve

hicost

posted on 25/8/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ultima

Hi Steve

Yes very true but as much as I love the Ultima it's to restrictive for my use and purpose. Really it's a circuit car, I do most of my miles now in Europe either the Alpes or Pyranese neither would suit it. Also I love a rag top now.

I also wanted the WLR but it would have the same issues as above.

I am going to build some changes into this chassis to give it a new feel and utilise about 135,000 miles of experience I have built up!

I am quit excited about it now looking forward to making a start, I just need the seats and steel and I'm off.

You going to come and help?

James

steve m

posted on 25/8/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can come down in the week, if your about,
can u u2u me the postcode, and your no etc

steve

raguri

posted on 25/8/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
If the Ultima is to extreme, why not the 'baby ultima', by which i mean the Aeon GT3/GT2.
Like a locost, can be built to your specific specification, have an active forum, and look like good fun.

hicost

posted on 25/8/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
GT3

Hi Raguri

Not really my bag, I might as well by a lotus Elise, cheaper and better looking in my opinion.

I'm a home build man, I like designing it, building it and driving it.

James

scutter

posted on 25/8/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
James, Good to see the Hicost is going to rise from the ashes

The Haynes Roadster is going to cover your needs best. I'm just replacing the rear of mine with a MX5 based IRS, the LSD's are cheap but I don't think they'll take the Cosworth power levels.

Have fun with the build, Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Steve Hignett

posted on 26/8/12 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
According to the (slightly controversial) post that was added to by RoadRunnerRacing recently (past fortnight?) it would seem that the MX5 diff in the LS engined car is taking a fair old chunk of HP, not to mention the torque it's handling too.
Having said that, I imagine that the Cossie diff you are referring too, is already in your posession, ie out of the very sad remains of your prev car, so you may not wish to entertain the thoughts of the MX5 diff in any case - I just thought it was worth adding to.

Wish you all the best with the rebuild James.
I'll be following your build blog (assuming your doing one) with interest and respect...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.