Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: web speed?
AndyW

posted on 19/8/14 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
web speed?

Just checked via a speed test to see what I'm actually getting, and can anyone explain what PING is?

Just about to have new broadband put in today so will be interested in my speed test tonight.

[Edited on 19/8/14 by AndyW]
[img][/img]

[Edited on 19/8/14 by AndyW]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/8/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Not bad at all. We get around 25-30M Downlink and 5-9M uplink on BT Infinity, depends on how many more in the village are on at the time. To be honest, it's the Uplink that makes more of a difference in normal day-to-day use for me as pictures etc. upload so much faster. The Download is great for streaming etc. but a lot of sites will not seem that different on Download of documents etc. because the speed is only as good as the site itself - if that makes sense

Basically, Ping is when a set size message is sent from one computer to another to test the round trip time and number of points it passes through on the way.

There's a little more to it than that but I am no IP expert

[Edited on 19/8/14 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

designer

posted on 19/8/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I understand, 'ping' is a signal that leaves your computer, travels somewhere relevent, bouces back to your computer and a measurement of the speed/ time results in the 8millisecond.

Bit like the 'ping' of sonar underwater.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 19/8/14 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
you can ping any website you like to test for a response - which can give you a better idea of response times for websites you actually use....

run the command prompt (in XP type 'cmd.exe' in the run bit of the start menu, in win7 just put CMD in the search bit of the start menu)
in the command prompt (which looks and works a bit like dos) you type ping followed by the website or IP address you want to test like this:

ping www.locostbuilders.co.uk
and it will ping 4 times and then show the results with the PI address and a times

-

Slimy38

posted on 19/8/14 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
8 ms is quite good, basically anything less than 10 is fine. The better connections get down to 5, online gamers would look for that sort of response time. My old Talktalk broadband was fifty something, it was really bad.

That upload speed is extremely poor though, it's been a while since I've seen upload speed less than 10% of download.

sprouts-car

posted on 19/8/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote

Very odd, never seen upload at 2x download

Build blog

Slimy38

posted on 19/8/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car

Yep, extremely odd. Closest I've seen is a 'business' connection where the upload was similar to download (because they were paying through the nose for the privilege), but I'm not sure why you'd ever want an upload speed faster than download.

Benzine

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
When I were a lad a ping of 120 on dial up was considered good for playing counter strike. The internet was all fields back then.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ping is echo request/response (ICMP). Basically a packet is sent to a IP address and the far end responds with a new packet to the originator. the time delay is measured. There are a few things to be careful of with Ping, it is a separate protocol (ICMP not TCP) and, because it is echo request/response , doesn't always follow the same routing as a source routed packet.

Ping times are a function of the distance involved and the latency in the devices that pass the traffic

Ping is typically dropped by firewalls as it allows enumeration of networks.

britishtrident

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Something very odd I would run some speed tests using another tester link to ThinkBroadband Spee Test

With a new install it can take a couple of weeks for the line speed to settle down.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Mines a little shabby in comparison

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jeffw

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You do occasionally see silly results with FTTC connections. Typically you will get 55-65Mb/s up and 17-19Mb/s down on FTTC

I get really good ping times with one of my circuits

[Edited on 19/8/14 by jeffw]

mcerd1

posted on 19/8/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Mines a little shabby in comparison

that's about what we get at work normally (shared between 25 of us ! )

but we must be having a good day today:

-

AndyW

posted on 19/8/14 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bit different tonight,

This morning we had 20.46Mbps and 8ms ping and 1.14 Mbs upload, now its changed!

[img][/img]

Slimy38

posted on 19/8/14 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Bit different tonight,

This morning we had 20.46Mbps and 8ms ping and 1.14 Mbs upload, now its changed!

[img][/img]

Just a shame it's Virgin really. My sister had a great connection with hers, but during the evenings it was restricted so heavily that it became unusable. It's all to do with contention ratios though, where they used to be there was no Sky or BT coverage so their entire road was Virgin or nothing.

AndyW

posted on 19/8/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Bit different tonight,

[img][/img]

Just a shame it's Virgin really. My sister had a great connection with hers, but during the evenings it was restricted so heavily that it became unusable. It's all to do with contention ratios though, where they used to be there was no Sky or BT coverage so their entire road was Virgin or nothing.

We have just upgraded, that's the reason behind the big jump up! Lets hope this new package remains as reliable as the old one

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.