Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small tow vans?
JacksAvon

posted on 2/11/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Small tow vans?

Has anyone towed a 7 with any of the following please.
All diesel
All capable of carrying race kit
All capable of sleeping in

Mazda Bongo
Mitsubishi Delicia
Nissan Elgrand
Nissan Serena
Toyota Ganvia
Toyota Lucida

owelly

posted on 2/11/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can answer for the Bongo!!
Very good and capable for towing. Most are 2.5td and automatic. Fuel economy is about 25mpg towing a 750kg trailer at a steady pace. Push to over 60 on the motorway (which would be illegal) and you'll pay for it in fuel. I've had both 2wd and 4wd and the fuel economy was within a few ounces of each other!
A Bongo is an excellent vehicle for all round day to day use and towing, as well as the Auto Free Top being an excellent use of space!
The main problem is finding one without rot or head gasket issues! The rear wheel arches rot from the inside as condensation runs down the inner panels and sits in the joint around the arch and rots. The underside of Bongos need undersealing as soon as they hit the UK or they'll start to dissolve.
The engine itself is the WLT Ford/Mazda engine which is a good unit. The HGF issues arise when the coolant hoses fail, the coolant escapes and because the engine is between the seats, you don't know the coolant has gone until the engine melts. You can buy coolant level warning kits to help combat this or you could just change all the hoses (there are quite a few) as well as the steel coolant pipes that feed the rear heater. If the radiator looks a bit crappy, fit a new one. It takes about 20 minutes to change and costs about £50. You can check the transmission oil coolant hoses whilst you're in there!
Power steering racks can be a bit weepy but as long as you keep the oil level topped-up, it'll be fine.
Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 2/11/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Transit Connect LWB. Tows my kit no prob.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

adithorp

posted on 2/11/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Had a customer with a Serena. It was like driving a Hippo

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coozer

posted on 2/11/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
My Doblo tows OK and with the back seats out is long enough to sleep in.

120bhp and 45mpg, so far I've had 16 pallets in the back😁

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daniel mason

posted on 2/11/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bongos yes. We've towed my 7's around in one in the past. Unfortunately I couldn't tow with it as it took me over the 3.5t limit with a trailer and cec 7 on the back
Davey D

posted on 3/11/14 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

The transit connects are only rated tow 800kg. What kind of trailer setup do you use?

NigeEss

posted on 3/11/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
quote:

The transit connects are only rated tow 800kg. What kind of trailer setup do you use?

800kg ! That's absolutely crap !! I never checked, just assumed it'd be over a tonne.

I've a decent size twin axle trailer, will take a Vectra sized car, probably weighs around 500kg, kit is car engined but, basic and
not road legal, no lights etc,.
Looks like I'm well over. Back to using the wifes 406 till I get my Defender back on the road then.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Davey D

posted on 3/11/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

800kg ! That's absolutely crap !! I never checked, just assumed it'd be over a tonne.

I've a decent size twin axle trailer, will take a Vectra sized car, probably weighs around 500kg, kit is car engined but, basic and
not road legal, no lights etc,.
Looks like I'm well over. Back to using the wifes 406 till I get my Defender back on the road then.

I only know because it caught me out too. I had already got my transit connect T200 before i started taking my car to trackdays, so thought id have a check on the capacity before using it for towing.

My trailer is 400kg empty + car at 500kg, then spare wheels, fuel cans etc on the trailer id be well over if i had to use the van, so i end up borrowing the wifes Volvo V50.

It is a bit crazy as the kerb weight of both vehicles are similar, but the volvo is rated to tow 1500kg, where my connect is only 800kg.

If i had known this beforehand i would have picked a different van

adithorp

posted on 3/11/14 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
I only know because it caught me out too. I had already got my transit connect T200 before i started taking my car to trackdays, so thought id have a check on the capacity before using it for towing.

My trailer is 400kg empty + car at 500kg, then spare wheels, fuel cans etc on the trailer id be well over if i had to use the van, so i end up borrowing the wifes Volvo V50.

It is a bit crazy as the kerb weight of both vehicles are similar, but the volvo is rated to tow 1500kg, where my connect is only 800kg.

If i had known this beforehand i would have picked a different van

I guess it might be due to brake balance. The vans rear brakes hardly do anything due to the load valve unless the rear is loaded.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.